• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Damage to TPS while changing tires

mehush

Scooter
Ordered a set of PR3's yesterday and not sure they will be here in time to get them swapped out before leaving on a trip. Likely as not, I will be changing them myself while on the road.

What precautions are needed to avoid damage to the TPS? I will probably be using a buddies No-Mar changer in his garage.

Just be cognizant of where the TPS sensors are (Right under the valve stem)  When breaking the bead do NOT break it at the valve stem and when levering it off be wary of that area so the tire doesn't grab it while lifting...

It's not difficult, just be careful L :)

I worried about this as well.  No big deal at all as long as you remember where they are.  The tps sensor sits close inside the rim and it would probably take some effort to damage it.

I changed both F&R tires with a NoMar a few months back.  If you follow the NoMar instructions closely - great instructions BTW - you will not damage the TPS.

Mad River Marc said:
Just be cognizant of where the TPS sensors are (Right under the valve stem)  When breaking the bead do NOT break it at the valve stem and when levering it off be wary of that area so the tire doesn't grab it while lifting...

Thanks for the headsup on this.  I changed out both tires this past weekend and everything went well.  :beerchug:

ddialogue said:
Mad River Marc said:

Thanks for the headsup on this.  I changed out both tires this past weekend and everything went well.  :beerchug:

I'll have to add my thanks on this as well, swapped tires today and may have made a mistake if not for reading this and being well aware of where we broke the bead.