• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Damaged Tire? Is it safe?

Scary Harry

Fear is not boring. COG# 4090
I bought and installed this tire last autumn and just noticed this week it has cracks all along the rim on both sides.
Is it safe to ride on? I'm not sure, but it does hold air.

Attachments

• rear tire.jpg
    rear tire.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 193
:-\ wow what brand of tire? If I saw that I would be asking the same questions. Those cracks looks deep, so I would not be comfortable with trusting that tire.

I agree with 4Bikes. I would not trust that tire.  Your life is certainly worth a new tire.
  Brent

4Bikes said:
:-\ wow what brand of tire? If I saw that I would be asking the same questions. Those cracks looks deep, so I would not be comfortable with trusting that tire.

I'm not going to reveal the tire brand. To me, it doesn't matter.
It's either safe to ride on or not.

Now, in the past, I had another tire I rode on and wore out before noticing a couple of cracks, without incident.
But this one with so few miles, gets my attention.

I'm no tire expert but I have to agree with the majority here. I would at least check with the mfg. to see if they will help with a replacement. Maybe a type of pro-rate if you will. Worth a shot.

I would have to agree.
If I'm wondering about it, best not to ride on it.

Now the question is, where is the damn receipt?
I have another tire still wrapped in plastic from the online seller.

I'll have to look into it.

Tire was purchased from Bike Bandit. I have the paperwork that was received with the tires which has the customer PO number and all.
I'll call them tomorrow when they open and see what they have to say. The front tire is still wrapped in plastic and I was going to put it on this summer.
But now, I'm not so sure I want to do that till I know more.

That picture makes the hair stand up on my neck.  My biggest single phobia about cycling is a tire failure at speed. 

I know there's all kinds of other stuff to be worried about; drivers, deer, engine seize...  but the tire one is definitely top of my list.  I think it's probably because I feel that my riding skill gives me a fighting chance against those other hazards.  I had a back tire blow at 55 mph with my wife on the back once.  I kept us from going down, but it scared the crap out of me.  Had it been the front tire, we probably would have been toast.  :eek:

I contacted Bike Bandit, where I bought the tires. They is still on record. Help dude said to please send in photos of the tires with more details. They want to show the pictures to the manufacturer to see what they think.  :(

There may be some hope after all.

In the mean time, I'm ordering a new set of rubbers for the C10.
I'm not gonna sit idle while the tire gods make a determination.
Life is too short and I ain't getting any younger.  :motonoises:

Most likely it is ozone damage from warehouse being too close to a freeway with the doors open. Another reason to convert to 17 inch tires is that they will usually not sit on the shelf too long since most modern bikes have 17's. My last set of 17's were 2 months old when I recieved them. I would not ride around the block with a tire that looks like that.

:motonoises:    Cracks in the rubber didn't stop Burt Munro in  The World's Fastest Indian. A little black paste shoe polish will fill them right up.    :))

Still waiting to hear back from the manufacturer.

In the mean time, new tires arrived. Putting them on this weekend.  :)

Why not say who made the tire? Maybe others would like to inspect their own tires. I have never had that problem with Pirelli or Michelin. I had a set for three years once and no problem. Most of the time one or two years. And...no, it's not safe. That tire is toast! Could be a new cartoon....

I didn't want to mention the tire and start some kind of tire war of sorts. To me, it doesn't matter. Rubber is rubber, but if you want to know, it was set of Pirelli tires.

Harry Martin said:
I didn't want to mention the tire and start some kind of tire war of sorts. To me, it doesn't matter. Rubber is rubber, but if you want to know, it was set of Pirelli tires.

I have Pirellis on my bike and am interested to check them out. Date codes were good but they were CHEAP. Thanks for sharing and glad you didn't ride on it anymore.

I don't see where anyone has mentioned this but have you been running at the recommended tire pressure? Since the defect is localized at the edge of the rim I wonder if it was run at too low a pressure and possibly combined with a heavy load. Ozone degradation would not be location specific and you would see it all over the tire (I believe).

Dan

Bergmen said:
I don't see where anyone has mentioned this but have you been running at the recommended tire pressure? Since the defect is localized at the edge of the rim I wonder if it was run at too low a pressure and possibly combined with a heavy load. Ozone degradation would not be location specific and you would see it all over the tire (I believe).

Dan

Dan,

Good question, but the answer is no. The tire was ridden at the correct pressure by a light rider, my son who weighs less than me. Also, the bags were removed, so the bike was ridden lighter than normal. When I ride it, it usually is on the heavier side. For air pressure, I use a very accurate digital gauge accurate to 1/10 psi. It doesn't get hot here in Casper, WY and at my altitude (over a mile high), I usually give it an extra psi. The tire arrived just before winter, installed, then parked for the winter. It just doesn't get that hot here where I live. That tire has less than 100 miles on it.  :(

Harry Martin said:
Bergmen said:

Dan

Dan,

Good question, but the answer is no. The tire was ridden at the correct pressure by a light rider, my son who weighs less than me. Also, the bags were removed, so the bike was ridden lighter than normal. When I ride it, it usually is on the heavier side. For air pressure, I use a very accurate digital gauge accurate to 1/10 psi. It doesn't get hot here in Casper, WY and at my altitude (over a mile high), I usually give it an extra psi. The tire arrived just before winter, installed, then parked for the winter. It just doesn't get that hot here where I live. That tire has less than 100 miles on it.  :(

In this case, that tire is definitely defective. Wow!

Dan

Someone I know had a tire degrade during winter storage. The tire dealer asked where he stored the bike, he said in the garage in a new location near a refrigerator. Not sure how true but the tire dealer said that the motor of the refrigerator will cause the tire to degrade, who knew.

Still no reply from Bike Bandit.

Not sure what to do. I'll make one more call and if I don't get any help (or the same help) I've been getting, then no more business from me, ever.  :(

If I treated my customers like I've been treated, I'd be fired by now.

Bob_C_CT said:
Someone I know had a tire degrade during winter storage. The tire dealer asked where he stored the bike, he said in the garage in a new location near a refrigerator. Not sure how true but the tire dealer said that the motor of the refrigerator will cause the tire to degrade, who knew.

I guess the giant magnetic field of the motor dry-rotted the tire? /sarcasm

We need to get Tesla from the grave to 'splain this one, Lucy!

By god, dealer jerkwads will say ANYTHING to get outta paying for failures, won't they?

Phoned Bike Bandit, again....  :41:

They tell me they are at the mercy of the tire manufactures when it comes to warranty returns.

They tell me that they did get a response from the manufacturer, but I find it interesting that BB just finally found it this morning after I turned up the heat and complained about the lack of communication after repeated calls, emails, and live chat sessions.  :33:

The next step is to print out the return label, (they just sent me) and to strap the tires together for shipment.
After that, they claim they will refund the cost of the tires back to my credit card.

We will see.  :popcorn:

All brushed type electric motors generate ozone when they run. Ozone DESTROYS rubber! There are no ZERO emission cars. They all make some emissions of some sort or other when operating.
Matt

mattchewn said:
All brushed type electric motors generate ozone when they run. Ozone DESTROYS rubber!

What he said ^

I wondered about ozone when I saw the pic for the first time vs. it's age.

mattchewn said:
All brushed type electric motors generate ozone when they run. Ozone DESTROYS rubber! There are no ZERO emission cars. They all make some emissions of some sort or other when operating.
Matt

Sure, but how MUCH ozone? How ventilated is that garage?

I could imagine in a very small, tightly sealed space I *may* be convinced that a tiny, SEALED fridge motor (motor is in the compressor, depending on model, some have fans, some don't) caused a tire to age prematurely, but I know of no shop/garage with that kind of sealing. If the door is opened once a day there's going to be a big change of air, AND ozone is highly reactive anyway - what else in the area can it react with? Surely the tires aren't the only surface there?

I still call BS. Only in a very particular set of circumstances would an electric motor be the cause of this damage.

Update:

Bike Bandit just sent me an email. They received the tires I sent back, and have credited my account for both tires.

Sweet. Almost a year in the process.  :singing:

That paid for the new tires I recently installed. Sometimes, things just take time to work out.
It's not Bike Bandit's fault. They will have to deal with the tire manufacturer.

Happy ending.  :)

Harry,  :-X  What was the model and brand of the tires??  ;)  I'm pretty sold on Shinko's (10,000+ on rear) 009 RAVEN  less than 1/2 the money and never had a problem.    Now they have a tire that is comparable to PR4s.    Have to keep the 1/8 mile race starts to a minimum.  :motonoises: :motonoises:  ALAN in S. Fl

Congrats Harry but I have to ask- Did your wife do the return and follow up? Cause that make her 2 for 2 after the Subaru  ;)

Diz said:
Congrats Harry but I have to ask- Did your wife do the return and follow up? Cause that make her 2 for 2 after the Subaru  ;)

Nope. My doing this time.
I think the photos I sent did all the talking.
I just did all the crying on the phone.  :??:

Every time I've bought "closeout" price tires, I've checked date codes, and most of the time they were a couple of years old.

As mentioned above, irregular sizes don't get purchased often,  so they aren't as fresh. I've learned to just specifically ask for the freshest tires available before shipping. Website vendors with good customer service who respond to my requests get my continued business. There are some vendors who do go the extra mile. Support them accordingly!