• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Death Valley - Dancing in the Moonlight - August 1st

CaffeineMan

In the shadow of the Valley of Death
Dancin' in the moonlight
Everybody's feelin' warm and bright
It's such a fine and natural sight
Everybody's dancing' in the moonlight

Just got back from a moonlight ride into Death Valley.  Pahrump to Ashford Mill and back.

I'm planning on a moonlight ride into Death Valley, either on the night of the full moon itself, Friday night, July 31st, or it could be the next day (99% full), Saturday night, August 1st.

Moonrise is at 8PM on July 31st (a blue moon!) and at 9PM on August 1st.

Anyone is welcome.  We can figure out meeting places, etc., depending on whether people are local to, or outside of, the greater Pahrump-Vegas-Henderson-Laughlin-Bullhead City metroplex.  ;D

Since a thread is useless without pics, no matter how useless the pics are (iPhone is not good for night photography):

Here's the Connie in the moonlight on the floor of Death Valley.

Attachments

• Connie Death Valley Moonlight 1.jpg
    Connie Death Valley Moonlight 1.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 106
The National Weather Service released the following heat-related safety tips:

- Drink plenty of water. Avoid alcohol and caffeine.

Temp. was over 100 on the valley floor at 11PM… so I had an iced tea instead of coffee.

I'm all about safety.  :D

This looks like fun Cman. Need to get my front brakes done and some new skins. Pencil me in.

Of course I would love to do this ride!! But, We are leaving on August 1st with a group of 8 riders to the Sturgis area.

I will have to go another time! Thank you for letting us know!

Russ  :motonoises:  :great:

Ok so there is at least a little interest.  OMoaC do you have a preferred night (fri-sat)?

CaffeineMan said:
Ok so there is at least a little interest.  OMoaC do you have a preferred night (fri-sat)?
Sat night would be best for me as I have that 4 letter word (work) on Fri. But don't make plans on my dime yet. I gotta long way to go and a short time to get there.

Old Man on a Connie said:
Sat night would be best for me as I have that 4 letter word (work) on Fri. But don't make plans on my dime yet. I gotta long way to go and a short time to get there.

Well my crew is flexible and outside of them you're the only interest, so I'm penciling in Saturday night. :D

Bumpty...  One week out.

The weather is looking good so far!  Temp in Death Valley should be high 90's.

This ride is still on, if anyone wants to jump in on it.  Still targeting Sat. Aug. 1st.

Getting closer and it still looks like the weather will hold for Aug. 1st.  Ride is still on if anyone wants to jump in.  Meet in Pahrump around 9.

Routes under consideration are:

Short:  Dante's View and back

Medium:  Shoshone, Badwater, Furnace Creek and back.

Longer:  Medium plus stop at Dante's View.

Alright Cman. IF my brake pads show up and IF I get them installed I'm still in. I'll keep your posted.

Cool!

It's just my crew and you so I'll PM you directions to my place and we will start from there.

The weather is not cooperating. :character0029:

It appears the forecast calls for mostly cloudy skies and possible thunderstorms, so I'm thinking I will cancel this ride.

:mad:

Stay tuned for next full moon (end of August).

Well the weather cleared up just enough so that Jeff, JT, and I made the ride to Dante's View, with the moon making a ghostly showing through the thin cloud cover.

Maybe we will try in 2 weeks for a stargazing ride to DV around the time of the new moon.