• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Death Valley DS ride. Non COG

Hmmmm. Wandering some dirt.

So 30/31/1

Camp or Cabin Here?

I think Mengel and Goler may be above my KLR skill level.  I rode Lippincott Rd at a DVD rally a while back and I was pretty proud of my off road noobie self. Pretty sure Mengel and the steps are a notch or 2 above Lippy.

And the 7 hours to Beatty and again back from Ballarat on the KLR knobbies - well that's what I bought a Concours for  ;D

So not no, but not yes - yet 
emo_think.png

Last time through a street SUV (4WD) could do it. Some sand on the DV side but mostly 2 track stuff. The drop in from Lone Pine though the Panamints is an awesome asphalt ride. The last 2 miles in Titus is sand but doable. Now latest weather could have changed it but that's why they call it ADV yeah?  :motonoises: :great: :beerchug:

I'm a DS noob as well, not sure I'm up for it.  I was gonna ride Titus Canyon this weekend, but I bet it's a mudslide after last weekend.
:eek:

All 2 track last time through Cman. KLR's should have no prob. Bit O sand and a few rocks. No cliffs, Deep woops etc. Some great mine sites and scenery await. On a 1 through 5 scale 5 being on a true DB I would put it as a 2.5.

Old Man on a Connie said:
Now latest weather could have changed it but that's why they call it ADV yeah?  :motonoises: :great: :beerchug:

Yep. UR right. Dat true. I suppose that's why I added bash plates, engine guards, knee and elbow pads, low profile oil plugs, hand guards, etc. etc.

Okay - one of my whiny objections overcome, and a step closer to a yes.

and now you got me looking at photos from past DV trips
klr_teakettle.jpg

Made my room res for Friday Night. https://screservations.bestdeathvalleyhotels.com/VM_Web_Main.aspx Gonna take all day side tripping to get from Henderson to Beatty. Gonna sit at Stripped Butte and wait for the great pumpkin.

Halloween weekend is turning out to be more problematic than I would have thought.

Still working on it - so still a possibility.

Death Valley wilderness seems pretty scary interesting for Halloween

Tick Tock. 2 in. Anybody else wanna go ghost huntin' in Death Valley on Halloween? Current weather may make then dirt roads dust free and really interesting.

Don't count me out yet.

Still trying to manipulate the Halloween situation so I can make it.

Yeah. May run CCW Titus, stovepipe, Skidoo, Ballarat, up Goler to Stripped Butte then home. Those are all open until you get to westside and badwater. That's why they call it ADV  :great: :motonoises: :beerchug:

Just not gonna happen for me. Can't clear the schedule.

Thought Halloween night in the mountains above Death Valley would be pretty awesome.

Hope it's an amazing adventure for you.

WANDRNG said:
Just not gonna happen for me. Can't clear the schedule.

Thought Halloween night in the mountains above Death Valley would be pretty awesome.

Hope it's an amazing adventure for you.
Will send pics. Theres more to come Buddy!

Do Titus Canyon Cman. Nice day ride for you. Easy run. Passed a stock SUV running it. Just be careful as you drop down into the valley. Some switch backs that can catch you out if your carrying to much speed. Started in Beatty where it was Beatty Days. Local fair, chili cook off, bed races etc. was fun. Friday was spent exploring Rhyolite, the bullfrog mine boot hill and climbing some mine skree outside of town. Sat left for Titus and was a good ride down through Leadfield. Badwater road was closed so original route was changed. Ran Nor West through stovepipe wells and over to Ballarat. Through Indian ranch and Ballarat tried to climb Goler wash. Got about 200 yards into the canyon and cried like a little girl. KLR napped twice. Turned around and stayed the night in Ballarat. Goler would have been OK coming down (if we could have stayed to original route) but climbing would have been tough in a built 4wd. Came back and got gas in Panamint springs then home for me. Found out Badwater was now open  :c002:. Ran up to Dantes and home. Not as much dirt as I wanted but a nice trip. Looking forward to what these rains did for the next wild flower season. Pics attached.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/adirtdigger/embed/slideshow/2015 DV raid"></iframe>