• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

DEC 4 Connecticut Breakfast Ride

S Smith

Northeast Area Director
The weather forecast was looking very favorable for Sunday when I got a text message if I was in for a breakfast ride to Toymaker's Cafe.  As I head out on the C14 the thermometer indicated 30 degrees... a strong reminder that there could be black ice in places where the road looked wet. I met John on his ZZR1200 at the usual spot in town a bit after 8:00 AM. We proceeded north on RT 8 to Huntington Ave in Waterbury and then Thomaston Ave and rode along the shore of the Naugatuck River to Riders Cafe parking lot where we met up with our friend Jeff who was riding his H-D Electra Glide.

Continuing north along the river to  Rt 109 in Thomaston, we then headed west on several roads through Washington Depot, New Preston, and Warren. We eventually headed north on RT 7 riding along the Housatonic River past Housatonic Meadows State Park Campground (the site of the NE spring camping weekend) . Most of the way I was very vigilant at looking for wet spots on the road that could be black ice. As I enjoyed the serpentine asphalt of RT 7 I became slightly complacent and one patch of water coming out of a left turn caught me off guard. The pucker factor was great as I felt a slight drift when the tires came in contact with the wetness (or was it an icy mix).  My riding was a bit more reserved after that. 

It was after 9:00 AM when we arrived at Toymakers. There were several cars in the lot, but not a single other motorcycle. Annie & Greg greeted us, noting that we were the only riders in so far. We ordered breakfast and got our food in record time.  While we were enjoying the great food and conversation a few other bikes arrived.... a group of Ducs and a pair of GS Adventure.  We finished up our food and last cup of coffee. When it was time to depart the temperature had warmed up to low 40's. We enjoyed a nice ride back home through Litchfield County along different roads.  I was home just before noon to wrap up the weekend chores.

Steve, I bet I know where that  patch of water is on Rt-7. My son and I came back from the Saturday M&G in Newburgh via Rt-7 and noticed the one wet patch on an otherwise dry road.  I think it might be due to sub-surface water that bubbles up as this spot. I ride that hunk of pavement a lot and its often wet there.