• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Decal "Do Not Remove Helmet Until"....

Stevewfl

If anyone wants one of these decals PM me your mailing address.  I'll be meeting up with Leanne tonight and grabbing a few.

1900342_10207327745302596_8757858279437563533_o.jpg

Where is it recommended to apply them? The front of the helmet would make the most sense but wouldlook kind of silly I'd think. Thoughts?

Is this a real problem? How many people have actually been paralyzed by someone taking their helmet off after a crash? Frankly I've never heard of this before. It sounds like one of those urban legends/fears just believable enough for people to buy into. If there's some hard data on this (not anecdotal) I'd love to see it.

Wow you guys don't know how many times this has happened?  Google is your friend.  I'm almost glad i posted this in here and raised the topic.

Usually paramedics, EMTs, (or anyone trained) will not take the helmet off at the crash scene unless there's  a reason such as victim choking and has to have CPR mouth to mouth and such.

I thought everyone that rides knows about this.  if not, heads up if you're in a significant crash DO NOT REMOVE nor let ANYONE remove your lid!  The decal is in case you crash and you can't tell folks to leave it on. Bystanders first instinct is to "remove" your lid, they honestly think you'll be more comfortable.

Highly suggest you speak with your MSF instructor about this or sit in an "accident scene management class" to perhaps save your buddies life if they go down.

Let me lastly please warn you, I've taken advanced MSF in FL several times:  Taking off the helmet can compromise the spine and such, which, if moved after impact or injuries, can lead to paralysis and/or death.  Don't do it! Don't let them squirm, roll and such either, it's important to keep your crash victim calm if they are conscious.

Stevewfl is correct.  The Accident Scene Management Class (ASMI) teaches, among many other important things, how to CORRECTLY remove a motorcycle helmet, in order to get the victim breathing.  (It's not CPR, it's breathing into the mouth.)  The danger of removing the helmet incorrectly and causing additional spinal injury or even death is very real.  The class I took was with a bunch of Blue Knights, (assorted LEO's) and we discussed how even some EMT's haven't been trained, or trained very well, to correctly treat a motorcyclist, or remove the helmet.  EMT training is highly variable out there, was the point.

If you can find an ASMI class near you, try to attend.  You'll be shocked to learn all the stuff you don't know about what to do if another motorcyclist goes down and you're among the first on the scene.

First I've heard of this as well and I did take the National Safety council motorcycle course as well as multiple First Aid and CPR course.
Mind you that was 10 years ago.  :))

BlueTroll said:
First I've heard of this as well and I did take the National Safety council motorcycle course as well as multiple First Aid and CPR course.
Mind you that was 10 years ago.  :))

^^^google is your friend today  :beerchug:

My wife and I had similar stickers on our helmets twenty years ago...until we were waiting for a table at a restaurant one evening...and, the eighteen year old hostess asked us what the stickers on our helmets said...so, we showed her...her response..."Ha ha...that's funny"...we figured she'd be the one to come upon us after a wreck...

Hazy said:
Where is it recommended to apply them? The front of the helmet would make the most sense but wouldlook kind of silly I'd think. Thoughts?
I would put it near the chin strap

I'm out of stickers.  I'll go buy and visit Leanne and pick up more very soon.

So many offered to paypal and I appreciate it. However, I'm only out a handful of stamps on this venture, and COG has done so much for me thats a wash anyway  :beerchug:

"Chris", you asked for two, I only had one left that was going on my lid. I'm sending it up your way and will send another when I get another handful.

These decals are in the mail as of now to those who PM'd. 

FYI after looking at them closely, I suggest scissor the FDOT off. None of the message will be gone and the decal will appear cleaner  :great:

stevewfl said:
I'm out of stickers.  I'll go buy and visit Leanne and pick up more very soon.

So many offered to paypal and I appreciate it. However, I'm only out a handful of stamps on this venture, and COG has done so much for me thats a wash anyway  :beerchug:

"Chris", you asked for two, I only had one left that was going on my lid. I'm sending it up your way and will send another when I get another handful.

These decals are in the mail as of now to those who PM'd. 

FYI after looking at them closely, I suggest scissor the FDOT off. None of the message will be gone and the decal will appear cleaner  :great:

Thanks Steve. and lopping off the FL was the first thing I was going to do. :) :great:

OK, so maybe my Google-Fu sucks, but I could not find one specific case of someone being killed or paralyzed because someone took their motorcycle helmet off wrong after a crash. I could find plenty of articles and stats showing that helmets reduce head injuries, and others "debunking" the idea that helmets cause neck injuries during a crash, but that's all.

So I called my Uncle who used to be an EMT, but he didn't know of any specific cases either. He remembers the training and was under the impression it was more defensive than anything, to avoid the possibility of causing more harm. Generally if you arrive at the scene of any accident, you shouldn't move people unless they are in imminent danger. But in his experience, people that ignore that advice are not really thinking anyway and are unlikely to see and heed that sticker, if indeed it has not been scraped off by the accident.

< has EMS training.  Rule 1 for anyone with a significant mechanism of injury is to stabilize the spine, head and neck first thing.  Well second thing after ABCs.  If they are dead why bother. 

It does not mater if you have a helmet on or not.  It is clear though that crashing a bike is significant and that removing a helmet is counter intuitive to keeping the neck and spine stable. 

I have heard of many a trauma that ends in paralyzing because this was not followed.

I just got a couple new helmets for me and the wife that now have the removable check pads for the EMS. My Neighbor is a Lieutenant for local Fire Department and knew nothing about them. He will be taking one of our helmets to three stations next week and training all their guys on the procedure. Basically, once the pads are removed, getting the helmet off causes far less stress to the neck or spine. This technology was developed for race helmets and is making its way to the street lines.

Pat

Attachments

• scorpion_exor410_helmet_zoom.jpg
    scorpion_exor410_helmet_zoom.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 105
I put my blood type on a sticker on the front of the helmet too..  I think I got the idea from RWulf...

PaulP said:
OK, so maybe my Google-Fu sucks, but I could not find one specific case of someone being killed or paralyzed because someone took their motorcycle helmet off wrong after a crash. I could find plenty of articles and stats showing that helmets reduce head injuries, and others "debunking" the idea that helmets cause neck injuries during a crash, but that's all.

So I called my Uncle who used to be an EMT, but he didn't know of any specific cases either. He remembers the training and was under the impression it was more defensive than anything, to avoid the possibility of causing more harm. Generally if you arrive at the scene of any accident, you shouldn't move people unless they are in imminent danger. But in his experience, people that ignore that advice are not really thinking anyway and are unlikely to see and heed that sticker, if indeed it has not been scraped off by the accident.

Yeah Paul- But it is free!! >:D >:D >:D what could it hurt? :great:

OK, I'll bite. What could it hurt, eh? What if the helmet is hiding an injury that needs to be treated? If even the EMTs at the scene are reluctant to take it off (because of the stickers), you might be facing a greater risk of death than taking it off. That's the problem with these kind of precautionary rules, you can't just unblinkingly apply them in every situation. We live in a world with caution stickers and warning signs. My lawnmower has a sticker that says you can't use it to trim hedges. I'm not making that up. At some point this sucks all the enjoyment out of life and then what is left? Is just surviving enough? OK, I'll get off my soap box now, but I draw the line at covering myself with those damn stickers.  :eek:

PaulP said:
OK, I'll bite. What could it hurt, eh? What if the helmet is hiding an injury that needs to be treated? If even the EMTs at the scene are reluctant to take it off (because of the stickers), you might be facing a greater risk of death than taking it off. That's the problem with these kind of precautionary rules, you can't just unblinkingly apply them in every situation. We live in a world with caution stickers and warning signs. My lawnmower has a sticker that says you can't use it to trim hedges. I'm not making that up. At some point this sucks all the enjoyment out of life and then what is left? Is just surviving enough? OK, I'll get off my soap box now, but I draw the line at covering myself with those damn stickers.  :eek:

My ex wife is a helicopter flight paramedic, and teaches EMT school. They go by the script they're trained with motorcycles, not a decal on a helmet.

The helmet decal is for people who haven't a clue, the general public or fellow riders 1st on the accident scene, that think they are helping by removing your lid.  This can cause paralysis or death. 

Usually the only time a helmet will be removed on the scene of an accident by anyone is if breathing is blocked or such. And then the EMTs are trained "exactly how" to properly remove it. Perhaps it will be beneficial for you and your friends to take an accident scene management course and you'll be informed about the helmet and a trillion other things.

But Paul, did I mention it is free?? 
                                                  I see your point and actually thought that in the case of bleeding inside the skull the EMT may not see bruising with it on? But if a long piece of metal was actually through the helmet and protruding through or in the skull, they might leave it on anyway and cut it off at the hospital?

I don't know, the wreck I was in I had no helmet and woke up in the hospital. ATGATT believer! :)

I haven't a clue so I would like a decal! :)

I've got some small "pouches" with vital info and contact data inside, and that verbiage on the outside, affixed to all of our helmets  in the chinbar at the point where the strap buckle is located.. most logical point... key tho, is to fill in the vital's forms on all..

I also have my cell phone programmed to my wife, and others, with names and numbers, under the phone I.d. of I.C.E. ( or In Case of Emergency)
I was hepped to this tip in Va., by ems guys, who check a cellphone right off.. to find this... may not be universal, but it can't hurt...
also have a stored number under "HOME"....

I wear an aerostich, and all my vitals are located in the right lower sleeve zippered pouch, at the wrist, with a med sticker by the zipper.. another good info spot.. people responding check for a wrist band for med emergencies... and will immediatly see that.
can't be too careful.
Having been a "first responder on a couple of m/c crashes, I would never try to remove a helmet... immobalize, and calm the victim, and contact emergency.. maintain the scene, and the safty of the fallen one... if that means parking your bike facing traffic, with lights on, and flashers blinking, in the lane... soo be it.
id expect and thank anyone doing that for me.

My KLIM Induction jacket has a pocket on the outer left wrist with the * symbol for paramedics, they give you a very nice card that goes in that pocket that has your blood type and emergency contact info etc etc, nice add and great thinking IMO!  :great: :beerchug:

ZG said:
My KLIM Induction jacket has a pocket on the outer left wrist with the * symbol for paramedics, they give you a very nice card that goes in that pocket that has your blood type and emergency contact info etc etc, nice add and great thinking IMO!  :great: :beerchug:

My KLIM Badlands has it too.  KLIM is 2nd to none but $$$$$$$

Any time fella's, glad to be able to do that.  And for those still waiting (such as myself), I should have a handful more decals soon!  :beerchug:  :beerchug: