• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Did Kawasaki make many new changes in 2010 model?

Did I read it right?  Did Kawasaki make some major changes in the 2010 model and up?
Is there really a heat issue on the models before 2010?  Is traction control a good thing or just a marketing gimmick?

Just trying to get to know this wonderful machine.

Robert

I think it's refinements rather than major changes, Robert.  The major changes came with the change from C10 to C14 in '08.  Then they made some mechanical refinements in the '10.  Traction control seems to be a pretty significant improvement, though there are lots who don't like the linked brakes. 

The C10 went 8 years before a design change and went another 12 with hardly any even minor changes.  But these days the improvements are electronic more than mechanical.  It's cheaper to add electronic improvements to the manufacturing process, so there's more incremental progress in each model year.  It makes sense (as it always did really, but now more than ever) to get the newest one you can afford.

I've had my 2011 Connie for a few weeks now. I love it. As far as the traction control, I have not noticed it kicking in till yesterday afternon. I did a u-turn into a driveway with gravel and when I went to accelerate away, I felt something and the screen flashed KTRAC so I guess it saved me spinning my tires in the gravel...

thetraveler59 said:
Did I read it right?  Did Kawasaki make some major changes in the 2010 model and up?
Is there really a heat issue on the models before 2010?  Is traction control a good thing or just a marketing gimmick?

Just trying to get to know this wonderful machine.

Robert

Yes, Kawasaki did a redesign of the C14 for the 2010 model (Gen II). Changes included, traction control on ABS models. Revised fairing and glove box designs (for better heat management). Linked ABS brakes, memory position windshield, higher mirrors, heated grips, outside temperature on the dash display. Then for 2011, ABS and  traction control became standard.

Privateer said:
The seat changed in 2010 too. At least, part numbers changed.

I don't know if the seat was actually changed. But the cover went from grey and black, to all black.

Privateer said:
Cap'n Bob said:
Privateer said:
The seat changed in 2010 too. At least, part numbers changed.

I don't know if the seat was actually changed. But the cover went from grey and black, to all black.

My stealer said the padding changed, too.

That's a good thing. I personally didn't care for the support the 2008 C14 OEM seat afforded my back side.  :))

Cap'n Bob said:
That's a good thing. I personally didn't care for the support the 2008 C14 OEM seat afforded my back side.  :))

I think a lot of owners complained about the pre-2010 seats, and half of the ones who didn't complain to KHI just purchased an aftermarket seat.

I have to say, the low gel factory option 2010 C14 seat I have on my Zx14 doesn't get uncomfortable until around hour 7 or 8. Which is good enough. Had I not gone with the low version, I'd still be good at 8 hours. But I have a short inseam and putting feet firmly on the ground at stops on uneven pavement is more important to me than 1 extra hour of comfort out at the extent of how much I'm willing to ride in a day.

And even so, with the 2010 upgrade, many still don't find the oem seat good enough, and change it for an aftermarket seat.

A little off topic: But I can truly see in your case John, where having your feet totally planted probably is more needed than a desire. So that's totally understandable.  ;)