• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

did they really do the work

12345hawkeye

Big Wheel
I just got my '08 connie back from the Kawi dealer after its 7500 mile service, it is a fairly big one including plugs etc. (which they charged me for...) the big question is did they really do the work? The mud from my ride this week end still covers the plastic rivets at the bottom of the belly pan fairing.... clearly this was not removed.... could they have completed the 7500 mile service with with out removing all the fairing??? http://forum.cog-online.org/Smileys/FantasticSmileys/truce.gif help!!!

Its hard to say for certain, but I would be surprised at any dealership charging for work they didn't actually do. They won't stay in business for long if they are doing that sort of thing. I guess you could ask for the old plugs back to inspect them, if they still have them. Getting the plugs out of this bike is pretty involved, and a lot of stuff has to come off to get to them. It isn't a quick or easy task.

I just removed all my fairing plastic to replace my radiator. I was able to keep the forward left and right sections connected to the belly pan. It all comes off at one time, just slide it under the bike. Still doesn't answer your question but maybe it helps.

Here's a real easy way to find out. Go back and ask to talk to the mechanic that did the job. Then ask him what all he had to take off and how hard it was to get to the plugs.  If he says it was real easy and he didn't have to remove much at all and how it was a 5 minute job, then he's probably not telling the truth.  But if he starts cussing about what a pain it was, and all the stuff that was in his way, then you know he really did it.

I always ask for my old parts and the "left over" liter of oil you'll get charged for. You paid for that oil but they'll keep it if you don't ask for it, unless it's bulk oil. I don't trust dealerships any further than I could throw one and duping unsuspecting owners is a great source of revenue.

Bike shops hate guys like us that know how to do the work but choose not too. An easy way to catch them ripping you off is to dob the key bolt heads with clear fingernail polish. When they charge you for valve adjust and they haven't removed the cam cover...that's an oh-shit moment for the service manager when you point that one out. and ask him to explain how they got in there without cracking those bolt heads loose.