• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Dig this crazy cat

;)GoPros and other action cameras, the modern version of "watch this!".
When I was a kid and someone said "watch this!" it usually did not end well. Now you can document it.

I think it's a really bad idea to put a knee down on the street. Gear or not, keep it tucked in and lean you upper body over, don't just slide your butt off the seat.

I went into the grass once on a cloverleaf about 5 miles from there.
I wasn't trying to go fast, but I turned too soon and was going to go all the way around to go straight to the next turn.  I was having too much fun, I think, plus looking fir the correct turn and getting the sun in my eyes.
Whatever, just the paint job was $900 and I have since scratched it up again.
I'm not even comfortable watching that video, expected the whole time to have the 'compilation' ending.  Especially when he reached around to shut off the camera while riding on autopilot.  Whew!
Maybe it's time for me to give up on the bike?  Two nights ago I went out around 11 pm, muggy 75F and I left the mesh, full face and gloves home.  I was in the right lane headed for the 2nd exit ahead when somebody in a car decided to cross from the far left lane to the 1st exit, braking and cutting off half my lane.  I slowed to a near stop and went by on the right half of my lane, then got home ok.  I'm not sure if I was thrilled by the ride or scared by the near miss, but watching the Icon jacket guy pass between cages and the exit gives me goose bumps.

Attachments

• OnTheGrass.jpg
    OnTheGrass.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 137
WillyP said:
I think it's a really bad idea to put a knee down on the street. Gear or not, keep it tucked in and lean you upper body over, don't just slide your butt off the seat.

I agree. I believe keeping your ass square on vinyl and counter balancing with your upper body affords you greater control on the tall Connie.

From what brief time I've spent watching racing videos it seems like the purpose of sliding off the seat towards the inside of the turn is just to keep the bike more upright in a case where the nominal lean angle would cause bike parts to scrape the road or maybe a less favorable geometry on the suspension & tires.  Until it gets to that point getting off the seat is likely just going to increase your wind resistance and reduce rider options for controlling the bike.
With that said, I'll remind myself that my island is made of sand, it shows up everywhere, and it's slippery as ice when encountered in thin layer over the pavement.  I wouldn't want to push my luck on the first trip around those exit loops.  The 2nd or 3rd trip around would look crazy to anybody watching, but I suppose it could be done within the speed limits and the law.