• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Disappointing C14 top speed run

I had the bike for about a year and a half now, 25,XXX miles on it now. Had valves adjusted about two months ago. Bike is completely stock except for a K & N air filter. Filled up last night with 90 octane pure gas, no blended ethanol crap. I weigh 255 lbs, bags on (empty), stock windshield in about mid-height, I was tucked down to minimize drag. I topped out at 150MPH (indicated) in 6th gear. Dropped down to 5th and got her up to 154-155MPH. Flat, straight road, temp about 79 degrees. I wasn't getting past that so I let off. I was kind of heart broken that that was all she had. My first question is does this sound about right? Secondly, I want more. She's under warranty for 8 years so I don't want to go into the engine. If I want loud I have a Harley. What are you guys recommendations?

I was hoping for 170-175. Heck with the power it has, it should hit the limiter which I understand is 186. Mind you, it took a year and a half of ownership to finally answer the dumbass question, "Hey! How fast will it go?" It'll probably be even longer before I try again next time. It's just nice to know it's there if I find myself running from a giant tidal wave (end of the world supposed to be tomorrow) or a band of hungry zombies in Porsche Turbos.  :D

The 2010/2011 bikes are speed limited to 155mph (250kph).

The 2008/2009 bikes are speed limited at 186mph (300 kph).

This has been verified internally in the ECU firmware programming. You can get the ECU reflashed to raise the speed limiter, though it's probably not advisable to do so.

Fred, mine is a 2009. So you're saying that I should have been able to go faster than what I indicated in the first post? Could it be that 2009 bikes built later in the model year got the lowered speed limiter settings? Could the dealer have re-flashed my computer while I had it in for the valve adjust under direction from Kawi?
        Been looking at the Area P exhaust since my first post. Thinking about the re-flash that I've been reading about for awhile now too.

Glad I bought one of the first ones in the USA... I have hit 158 GPS/163 speedo, with full bags, Shad 42l trunk, and had room to go more, wick turned down somewhers near 8k-8.5krpm...wasn't looking tooo close..
I don't fear Zombies....I call them out....hooo hooooo zombie weekend coming up.... :))

I guess it's nice to know. But personally, I am OK if if will only run 150. It's not like I use it anyway. Once and a great while you may wind her up like that. But once at those speeds, does it really matter? I know, yes it does!  :))

Kenny said:
          Fred, mine is a 2009. So you're saying that I should have been able to go faster than what I indicated in the first post? Could it be that 2009 bikes built later in the model year got the lowered speed limiter settings? Could the dealer have re-flashed my computer while I had it in for the valve adjust under direction from Kawi?
        Been looking at the Area P exhaust since my first post. Thinking about the re-flash that I've been reading about for awhile now too.

Kenny, we haven't yet actually downloaded the contents of the 09 ECU, only the 08 and 10. I was assuming that the speed limter in the 09 is the same as the 08, but it may not be. We did find that sometime prior to the release of the 2010, Kawasaki made some changes to the ECU programming, though I don't know yet exactly when or what was changed, but it's very possible that there are some 08's and 09's out there with the lower speed limit in them.

If your bike "hit the wall" at 155mph, that's probably about as good an indication as any that the lower speed limit is programmed into your ECU.

We'll know more about the contents of the 09's in a few weeks after we get one downloaded.

Fred, let me know on the 09s what you find. I could be a guinea pig if you need one. I'm on the fence about the pipe but I would like the limiter removed, flies a little more aggressive and better mileage at cruise (~80 MPH). Yeah, I know, funny how I threw in the better mileage wish all of a sudden too  ;D

Kenny said:
Fred, let me know on the 09s what you find. I could be a guinea pig if you need one. I'm on the fence about the pipe but I would like the limiter removed, flies a little more aggressive and better mileage at cruise (~80 MPH). Yeah, I know, funny how I threw in the better mileage wish all of a sudden too  ;D

Contact either Guhl Motors or Dynotronics. I believe both of them can reflash your ECU with a better tune, and can also raise the speed limiter.

Kenny two things. One, when my 08 was bone stock she would only hit about 155 with the bags on and such and you and I weigh the same.  The K&N without a power commander or ecu reflash is probably slowing you down a bit because the motor is not getting the extra fuel it needs for the extra air it's getting.  Second, these bikes are really corked up from the factory. I am now running a stock ZX14 exhaust with a K&N filter and a power commander III usb with tuning done by Dynojet and I have run 164 with the bags on and the taller Kawasaki windscreen, and she still had a little more to give just ran out of room. I can only imagine what she would run with an Area P full system and the bags off. I don't think yours is limited to 155 it's just being choked!

I believe if you had hit the limiter you would have known it, it sounds like you just ran out of balls (the bike not you).

Yeah I've hit the rev limiter in lower gears before so I know that feeling (stupid feeling of shift now dummy). At 155 I believe I was at around 7K rpm. I think she just had no more power to push any faster. I remember reading that the ZX-14 header primaries were a little larger than the C-14. Wonder if a ZX-14 header welded up to mate up to the C-14 mid pipe and can would be worth the effort? I am thinking a re-flashed computer with switchable maps (one economy map, one performance map). I read in another thread that Guhl Motorsports did this for someone already, I believe. Still not sold on the Area P. I like the performance numbers, price is a little hard to swallow but I know I'll be getting what I pay for. Just trying to convince myself it won't drone at cruise on 600-800 mile days.

I stayed with a stock exhaust because I too didn't want it to be too loud and I LOVE the look of the dual exhaust. The ZX14 header primaries are a little larger. I measured them against my stock header when I did the exhaust changeover and they were a little larger.

Kenny, my full Area P does drone,not to bad but on a long day it can be irritating. I thought about a db killer just for that. I bought a Nolan mod helmet and it is so noisy I wish I could hear the pipe......blanton

all years are limited to 300kph in the coding. Your issue sounds like you ran out of oomph! Let me know, I can fix that for ya!!

dynotronics1 said:
all years are limited to 300kph in the coding. Your issue sounds like you ran out of oomph! Let me know, I can fix that for ya!!

Interesting. That's not what Guhl Motors found in the 2010 ECU they downloaded, and another 2010 owner here reported the bike shutting down when he hit 155.

What was your elevation at the time of this run?
That can be a big factor, do you live in Colorado? :)

Well this all gives me hope .... mine peaked at 125mph (GPS) but that was with only 800'ish on the odo.
i was hoping for 150mph

MKorn said:
Well this all gives me hope .... mine peaked at 125mph (GPS) but that was with only 800'ish on the odo.
i was hoping for 150mph

800 RPMs in sixth gear is good for about 30 MPH.
I have a sneaking suspicion, you meant 8000.

We all love to test the limits of our machines. Just remember the formula for kinetic energy is K=MV2.
So a "getoff" at 70mph of a 200LB rider with gear is equal to 490 tons of force. Whereas the same rider at 150mph impacts at a force equal to 2250 tons.

Granted the total effect of any impact will not be the cumulative total of the force on the first surface area to come into contact with the stationary force, rather spread out over multiple surfaces and depreciation of speed (velocity) as frictional forces dissipate the energy. However, anyway you shake it,  its gunna hurt......    :-\ So please be careful out there OK!  ;)

BTW a GE Dash 9 Diesel Electric locomotive weighs approx 210 tons

Yeah it doesn't sound right, I weigh about 400lbs and without the bags and the shield down with me tucked behind it I was able to get it up to 155mph.  I know from comparing my spedo with a gps and the radar sign on the side of the road it was probably only doing 147 to 150 mph.

BTW, the bike is stock except for the 2Brothers exhaust.

MrPepsi said:
MKorn said:
i was hoping for 150mph

800 RPMs in sixth gear is good for about 30 MPH.
I have a sneaking suspicion, you meant 8000.

nope ... meant 800 miles on the odometer (new bike) ... I didnt look at the tach.  ;D

MrPepsi said:
MKorn said:
nope ... meant 800 miles on the odometer (new bike) ... I didnt look at the tach.  ;D

My mistake, didn't read carefully enough.

i would agree that 125 would be about 8,000 on the tach.
i was at 7,500 when i hit 120 a previous time.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
dynotronics1 said:

Interesting. That's not what Guhl Motors found in the 2010 ECU they downloaded, and another 2010 owner here reported the bike shutting down when he hit 155.

all depends on where you look in the file, Fred. there are several reasons why you would have seen that number, but they are based on other inputs such as air temp, water temp, ect

For what it's worth, I contacted Kawasaki engineering a few months back, and they also told me that the 2010 model was speed limited to 155mph.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
For what it's worth, I contacted Kawasaki engineering a few months back, and they also told me that the 2010 model was speed limited to 155mph.

Might I also point out that they told you the secondary plates were for noise emission limits? Not sure Fred, but maybe those engineers are not telling you the whole truth, or they simply don't know?

You might be interested to find out who it is that writes the files for these bikes. Ask Don to show you in the code where its signed..............

FYI, we put a stock 2010 on the dyno today and confirmed that the speed limiter kicks in at 155mph.

Interesting, we have done 5 so far on the dyno, and not seen this. BTW the code is written at 300kph. Fred, BTW, was that you personaly or Don?

Don put it on his dyno. Stock C14. The effects of the speed limiter are pretty obvious.

original.jpg

I was in Florida on I-10 going East from 85.  Long, flat, straight, no traffic for miles. '09 non-ABS, VStream Windscreen (fully lowered), Bags on, Givi V46, AreaP Full Exhaust, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, loaded down for a week away from home with me laying on the tank (and I weigh 220).  I could only get to 149 mph (GPS) in 6th gear.  I did not try going down to 5th.
I would like to try again without the bags and trunk to see what I can get.  The bike is VERY quick to 130ish and takes a long time to get from 130 to 150.

Rawman, since I know my speedo is off by about 5 mph, 149 on GPS sounds about the same as me. You have some power mods so I think that's what you got to max speed in 6th instead of me in 5th. Sounds like there is a 155 MPH limiter.....

:mad:

I am so disappointed that the thing would only run 149MPH loaded up!  :))

All kidding aside. Rawman said he was in high gear and loaded down. I bet it would run faster!

I'm all happy now!
  With 2400+ miles on the odometer, with the bags full, screen half up ( i forgot) and me tucked she easily hit 150mph on the speedo and 142 on the gps.

She felt like there was more to go, but i got out cause i ran out of safe, clear road.
I amazed that i ran up to 150 from a stop and back down to 60mph without getting on the brakes within a mile distance.

I soooo Love this bike!!  :-*

I tried my 08 a few months ago, it ran about 167 ish on the speedo and 157 on GPS. All the bags were on and the top bag had two gallons of oil in it. I left the bike in fifth gear on this run, it has Area P full exhaust, PC 5 and BMC filter. I tried one time before in sixth gear but it didn't go any faster.
Travis

I'm sorry but I just don't get it.  I don't understand why everyone is so concerned about top end.  I would much rather get to top end quicker than have more top end.  My sportbike does 171 mph and I can tell you how many times I have had it that fast...twice...and I was 8 years younger and much dumber.  It just isn't power that is used enough to waste time or money trying to improve it.  Also, I'm not trying to start a fight but I just don't know why you would test top end fully loaded or with bags on?  If you are really that concerned with top end, why not cut weight and then give it a shot?  I can't believe that I am probably one of the youngest members on this forum and I'm the one bitching about going too fast  :))  What a prude  ;)  I just think if you are that concerned about more top end, buy a Hyabusa and be done with it. 

I have an 08 Hayabusa and a 05 Goldwing and I can tell you what either one will run. I am more into quarter mile times than top end speed though. But if the feeling hits I will do a top end run at any given time.
Travis

DocPigskin said:
I'm sorry but I just don't get it.  I don't understand why everyone is so concerned about top end.  I would much rather get to top end quicker than have more top end.  My sportbike does 171 mph and I can tell you how many times I have had it that fast...twice...and I was 8 years younger and much dumber.  It just isn't power that is used enough to waste time or money trying to improve it.  Also, I'm not trying to start a fight but I just don't know why you would test top end fully loaded or with bags on?  If you are really that concerned with top end, why not cut weight and then give it a shot?  I can't believe that I am probably one of the youngest members on this forum and I'm the one bitching about going too fast  :))  What a prude  ;)  I just think if you are that concerned about more top end, buy a Hyabusa and be done with it.

I'm with doc on this one.... if you really want to go fast get a different bike. Besides this will go fast enought to outrun most vehicles with ease get you well into felony speeding situations & kill you a couple of times over..... but hey it's your bike & your tail end so have fun.

I love speed ... hoping to hit 200 mph some day ... on the ground, not in the air. :)

and your right ... i should take the bags off and have the windshield all the way down.
But i have yet to go out and ride jsut to hit top end.  it just kinda happens when i find a clear open road.

DocPigskin said:

+1  I have no real need to go 600 MPH. I rarely if ever really need to go 150MPH. I'm more interested in the usable power and speed. But like said, just my opinion. Bad things can happen when speeds get too high.