• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Display

kd4pop

Rode the bike for 8 hrs and parked it for the night . late afternoon in the sun .But the bike was facing into the sun for and hr and went to go eat dinner and the display was half washed out. After dinner which was parked in the shade brought it back to full brightness. I think what cause this is heat any ideas.What if was caused but heat would a sun shield help?

My o8 did that 2 yrs. ago, I had been in Hoover damn/Vegas area with temps. around 106-108 this was after being in moab 2 days, then crossed death valley were the temp. was a cool 121. Display goes out, get up the next morning it was 1/2 out & by noon in the cool redwood forest it was back. Now aprox. 35,000-40,000 later has never done it again! So go figure.
Cliff

It's very common on LCDs to go black from the suns heat. As you see, they normally go back to work once they cool back down. Covering the display with something (preferably white) should help keep the heat absorption to a minumum. This should help prevent black outs.

I seem to recall seeing a warning in either the owners manual or service manual that said the LCD will darken in hot temps or if left parked in the sun for extended times. It pretty much normal for all LCD displays to act this way when they get hot.