• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Do you know any suppliers of frugal LED driving lights?

2fast

Crotch Rocket
I would like to add some daytime bright LED driving lights and wondered if anyone has a source to share? I don't need em for night work, just to be seen in the daytime. I would like to turn off my main headlight and run the LED's to conserve power. There seems to be lots of spendy choices......I'd like something under a hundred.

Brian,
One of my buddies down here got a set at Advance Auto that seem to work well on his Voyager. I've also seen some at Pep Boys. His are rectangular with 5 or 6 white LEDs. About 20 bucks or so I think. I don't know what parts houses you have up there, but someone should have something you could use.

Eddie

Brian,
Look into the pilot 3W LED Fog Lights They come in rectangular and round; I chose round. The are very bright (for 3W power), and are more visible in daylight than the headlight, and have a pretty well done flat fog light pattern. They run around $40 for the pair at Pep Boys.
Jorge

Brian,
I rode with Eddie yesterday and he had a nice pair of LED driving lights. I think he said they were $120 .
They looked plenty bright and used 7 watts. I forgot what he said they are.

So Eddie.......whatcha got?? Buck twenty is not that far from my target price if they are bright. I am looking cause I recently converted my Strom to HID with an on off switch. I would like to wire in some LED's that come on like the stockers that I could run during the daytime to conserve juice.

Eddie-FL said:
Hey, Brian. These are the ones I have.
http://www.whitehorsegear.com/cree-high-intesity-led-running-lights
They were easy to install and seem to do the job. I was following my wife and she said they make the bike more visible. I had an issue with one of them (half the LED's went out) but Whitehorse and the manufacturer took care of me. I'm very happy with them.

Eddie

How long have you had them and how do you have them wired?  I'm looking at something like them?

Cheers
Ron

Eddie-FL said:
Hey, Brian. These are the ones I have.
http://www.whitehorsegear.com/cree-high-intesity-led-running-lights
They were easy to install and seem to do the job. I was following my wife and she said they make the bike more visible. I had an issue with one of them (half the LED's went out) but Whitehorse and the manufacturer took care of me. I'm very happy with them.

Eddie

Actually they look pretty nice. I may look into these a little closer.

I talked to Whitehorse about the lights, and they now have an improved version, same price.  They will do a discount around the rally dates, and I quote " from August 8 to 19 the code COG11 will garner a 10% discount for COG members".  I plan to get me a set.

Ron, I've had the lights about 3 months. I have them wired thru a relay (totally unnecessary!) but I already had the wiring in place for another sets of lights that I scrapped. The lights are ON with the low beam and OFF with the high beam. There is a switch installed in case I need to turn them off. HTH.

Eddie

Eddie,

Any chance you could post a nighttime photo from the seat of your bike to see what they look like?
Thanks,
Mark

Yes, they are more for conspicuity. Being seen vs seeing. I have the Hella 500 FF lights for seeing! Mark and Ron, I'll try to get a photo posted soon. I'll try to do one with and one without the lights for comparison. It will be a day or so as I've got the bike apart for maintenance before the rally next month.

Eddie
Edit for spelingk!

Mark and Ron,
Here are a couple of pics.
This is with the LEDs ON.
DSCN0520.JPG

This is with them OFF.
DSCN0521.JPG

HTH.
Eddie

Hello all, update on Pilot LED Fog Lamps... I no longer would recommend them.
While riding this evening, I noticed that one light was off. Looking closely at it when I got home, I learned that the wire had fractured where it connects to the LED. They are out of warranty by about 3 months, and since they are sealed, I'm not sure I will be able to repair it... but I'm going to try (nothing to lose!).
My guess is that the vibration level on the Tip Over Bar was just too much, and the wire simply fatigued. Oh well, they were nice while they lasted.
Not sure which way I will go at this point, but it looks like there are several options others have shared.
Jorge

Zorlac said:
After seeing the LED lamps in person, I'm still in the not ready for prime time camp.

Knock your lights out.

Knock your LEDs out.

Yeah, those $600 buckers are nice, but too rich for my blood. Did you see Eddie's lights? They are plenty bright enough to be seen in the daytime......very likely more noticeable than the stock headlight. They have very little night function, but that's not what I need. I just want to have something on instead of my HID's in the daytime, and as a backup light.

"Did you see Eddie's lights?"

Yes, and they're not what I'm looking for.
As for frugal, I've seen more cash incinerated in the stock market recently to give a chit.  ;)
I'm just gonna start spending it, and when it's gone, it's gone.  :nananana:

WillyP said:
The way things are going we'll probably be paying 600 for a loaf of bread anyway...  :-\

My wife does the grocery shopping. Is $600 high for bread?

2Fast said:
I would like to add some daytime bright LED driving lights and wondered if anyone has a source to share? I don't need em for night work, just to be seen in the daytime. I would like to turn off my main headlight and run the LED's to conserve power. There seems to be lots of spendy choices......I'd like something under a hundred.

What are you conserving power for?  Isn't it federal law that you have to run your headlight on the road? I'm confused.

Gerry B? said:
2Fast said:

What are you conserving power for?  Isn't it federal law that you have to run your headlight on the road? I'm confused.

In the cool seasons I run electric jacket and gloves and they draw quite a bit of juice. Mainly what I want the LED's for is on my Vstrom. I have converted my dual headlights to HID (probably illegal....I don't care).  To avoid having them short cycled every time I start the bike, I installed a switch in my headlight circuit. The Vstrom, like many other newer bikes, turns on the headlight as soon as the ignition is turned on. Then, it turns it off for starting, and relights as soon as you stop cranking. This all works fine with the switch, but honestly, I sometimes forget to turn on the headlight during the day. The LED's would be set up to come on like the normal headlights because short cycling them is no big deal. Plus, I would then have the option of just running with them (they appear just as bright as the HID's), or turning on the HID's as well. At least I will protect myself from running without the required headlights on. I suppose it could be questioned by an LEO, but I highly doubt any will care to question it, or do the research.

So......as Paul Harvey would say........that's the rest of the story.  Good day!