• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Do you like where you live?

nomoreusmc6802

I'm looking to relocate. I'm ok with cold as long as it gets cold and stays cold. I have bad arthritis and I live in the worst area in the country. My only thoughts are in northern Utah. Looking for dry stable weather, but not dessert if I can avoid it. I'd love some mountains. I'd love some ocean too but I think I might be too conservative for that. Need good gun laws (I'm a high capacity gun lover) I'm just not sure where to do the research.

I love the Ozarks for the riding but the weather is abysmal if you have joint problems. I need an escape.

Open carry in Wally Wurld.
We also got tornados, -40F, long winters, short summers, world class trout fishing, mountains, open prairie, endless highways, low humidity, Alcova lake, Big Horn mountains, Jellystone Park, hurricane winds, did I say high winds?

Lowest population per square mile in North America.
Housing market so hot right now that sellers get asking price and sell/close within 24 hours.
Bring cash.

Do I like it here? Been here since 2005 and never looking back.

We also got tornados, -40F, long winters, short summers, world class trout fishing, mountains, open prairie, endless highways, low humidity, Alcova lake, Big Horn mountains, Jellystone Park, hurricane winds, did I say high winds?

Housing market so hot right now that sellers get asking price and sell/close within 24 hours.
Bring cash.

Where is this?

I don't like Maine until I'm somewhere else and then find I miss it. I lived in Vernal and SLC for a short time in the 80's and missed tall trees and seafood ... and the ocean. Utah is nice - how about the dixie area? More of a 3 season riding area. Anywhere within 200 miles or so of an ocean or great lake will have humidity and arthritis problems. Texas and Florida have great weather except in the summer when it can get too hot - and Texas and Florida are in my opinion way too busy with lots of traffic and people.
Maine like 26 other states has Constitutional Carry but to travel south or west one needs to drive through New York or Canada - places that can put people found with guns in prison.

Funny you should ask this question as I have been asking this myself. As much as I loved upstate New York for many years, New York has made it abundantly clear that it doesn't love me. So we decided to relocate. We have decided on Florida and are in the midst of relocating there. Our reasons had to do with not wanting snow and ice as well as the arthritis . The wife didn't want to be too far from the family. Plus we prefer more freedom that Florida seems to providing it's residents these days compared to the communist state we lived in for so many years. There are other reasons for our decision as well.
Be that as it may, I of course always question the decisions. So we have been touring the country the last few months. The standouts for me were/are The northern California coast line and going into Oregon, I found nice. I liked the year round cool off the coast. But California had the most unbelievable laws that effected us just as travelers passing through. So there's no chance I would ever move there. Add there politics and I'd rather stay in the state that hates me.
Lower Oregon also was nice like Northern California with the trees and such, but that might be trading one state that hates me, for another. There were other nice places like parts of Wyoming or Idaho that we went through had some things we liked. But to me, I liked the black hills of South Dakota. Yes I would have to put up with snow. But I liked it.
And my number one spot when I weighed out everything, would be the ozark of Arkansas. Probably the Hot Springs area. The weather was milder and you still can get snow. But it is once again the mountains and trees that I love so much, with a much less harsh winter environment. The folks were great like a lot of places not in the north east or west coast. And the cost of living was quite noticeably less expensive. Even the wife has come around saying she did kind of like it. For us though, our insurance for a few more years limits those choices based upon expenses for us. I did point out that the lower cost of living still could make it viable. But then you reminded me about my arthritis. And that was my main reason to go to Florida in the first place. I feel the summer heat isn't much worse than NY, but winters are much better. And my body can function much better.

Ask the penguins that live in Antarctica that same question. I don't see them moving to Florida.

Bring cash.

High winds? LOL We crossed WY in mid June and had 45 mph, “90 degree to the interstate winds” for 5-6 hours. Amazing feeling to me when I exited to cross the interstate with wind at my back at 45 mph and feel zero wind in my face. My riding partner kept telling me over the coms, “I see you leaning…”

Yeah...high winds. I'm still repairing my house that got hit by a gust of wind that removed a good chunk of siding 2 years ago. It also crushed in my garage door. I'm replacing all of it with steel siding and have one wall left to do. I'm an expert at this now as no one is available to work where I live. 5 years ago, it was a hail storm that damaged my roof and car. Just another day in paradise.

Funny you should ask this question as I have been asking this myself. As much as I loved upstate New York for many years, New York has made it abundantly clear that it doesn't love me. So we decided to relocate. We have decided on Florida and are in the midst of relocating there. Our reasons had to do with not wanting snow and ice as well as the arthritis . The wife didn't want to be too far from the family. Plus we prefer more freedom that Florida seems to providing it's residents these days compared to the communist state we lived in for so many years. There are other reasons for our decision as well.
Be that as it may, I of course always question the decisions. So we have been touring the country the last few months. The standouts for me were/are The northern California coast line and going into Oregon, I found nice. I liked the year round cool off the coast. But California had the most unbelievable laws that effected us just as travelers passing through. So there's no chance I would ever move there. Add there politics and I'd rather stay in the state that hates me.
Lower Oregon also was nice like Northern California with the trees and such, but that might be trading one state that hates me, for another. There were other nice places like parts of Wyoming or Idaho that we went through had some things we liked. But to me, I liked the black hills of South Dakota. Yes I would have to put up with snow. But I liked it.
And my number one spot when I weighed out everything, would be the ozark of Arkansas. Probably the Hot Springs area. The weather was milder and you still can get snow. But it is once again the mountains and trees that I love so much, with a much less harsh winter environment. The folks were great like a lot of places not in the north east or west coast. And the cost of living was quite noticeably less expensive. Even the wife has come around saying she did kind of like it. For us though, our insurance for a few more years limits those choices based upon expenses for us. I did point out that the lower cost of living still could make it viable. But then you reminded me about my arthritis. And that was my main reason to go to Florida in the first place. I feel the summer heat isn't much worse than NY, but winters are much better. And my body can function much better.
Where in fl?

I am in the process of getting an RV and I am going to check out a bunch of places. North seems to be the direction, and maybe west.

Wind can be a good thing, put up a windmill and generate your own power and sell the excess back. I know a guy that's what he does for a living. 3 windmills and about 80 solar panels and he sells his power. 7 to 8k a month. He spends the mornings cleaning the solar panels and doing checks on his windmills and he's done for the day.

Come live here in beautiful Lawrence F***ing Kansas (otherwise known as LFK...there's even LFK merch out there), home of the 20xx COG "We'll Show You BOTH Good Roads" National Rally. We've got all the weather here, not just tornadoes - gross humidity, freezing wind chills, snow & ice, etc. About the only thing we don't have is enough rain...and then too much all at once.

In all seriousness, we've been here since 1996, but we're looking to jet for the PNW when I retire next year.

I like NE Ohio, I do not love it and would not suggest moving here, I stayed because of my job and could not transfer.
-Not too hilly, 2 hours to nice roads
-first snows in early November, then constant lake effect snow till Lake Erie freezes over, then 40 degrees till May 1st
-90 degrees around Memorial Day then it stops raining till September
-HUMID
-One of the six counties in Ohio that has the type of Gov't you left in NY
-really, really, REALLY BAD roads
-Ohio drivers cannot for the life of them figure out simple traffic circles
-lots of railroad crossings and most all at angles and most all in TERRIBLE shape

BUT
-overall, Ohio is the type of Gov't you seek
-Constitutional carry
-REALLY low cost of living and REALLY low housing and food costs
-not too many traffic circles
-Camping super cheap for residents over 60
-the state looks like a heart
-we got a big river here
-don't like the weather....wait a few minutes
-don't like your county, move one over, 180 degree shift
-state name only 4 letters, it's easy for most to spell

Ah, you're right up the road. I'm sure we'll get together now after all these years.
Ocala’s nickname was “Slocala” for a long time. So many northerners are fleeing to our free state of Florida that Ocala is one of the fastest growing cities in the country. I’m still avoiding the growth where I live, I’m so far in the woods internet is almost impossible to get and cellphones won’t work. I feed deer in my front yard every day. I love it here, although the riding is uninspiring unless you like wearing out the middle of your tires, and there are no good beaches unless you go 3 hours north or south.

This won't help you decide where to live, but you asked. I live in a small town of about 7500. Very clean with super wide streets that are in great shape. We could stand a better assortment of restaurants, but Owensboro, Kentucky is 40 minutes, Evansville, Indiana is an hour, Louisville is about 75 minutes, Indy is about 3 hours as well as Nashville, TN. Lots of entertainment amongst all of those. Our county roads are in great shape with hills and curves that's just two minutes away. Summers can get hot and humid like many places. Winters aren't long and can be mild with cold spells thrown in. Hunting and fishing opportunities everywhere. National forest minutes away. Ohio river for boating. Low crime. You feel safe walking around at about any time. Reasonable taxes and gov't. As I get older, being in a small place, where I'm known by many, is a big plus. No horrible traffic. No huge lines anywhere. I don't have any plans to leave. Let's go for a ride!😁

Wow, Bud. It sounds like a place I should have checked out before moving but I think the winters would be a little too much for me.
You are a little more than halfway to Nationals next year so maybe it will be a good one night stay on the way to Nationals.

Reactions: Bud
Answer to your question; not just like but love where we live (swmo)

HTH
I used to really like it here, and then I got hurt in the Marines. Since I have been back, not so much. The population is growing so fast that the attitudes and neighborhoods have changed. Hell all of Springfield is a ghetto. Not to mention the drivers....

We live in Western NC and have been here going on 5 years. About 10 from the SC border and about 30 miles east of Trasheville NC.🤨 So close to the BRP and excellent riding. Winter as easy compared to 18 years living in Northern New England: VT, ME & NH. Summer is in the 90’s yet spring and fall are good. 4.5 hours to SC beaches. Only problem is the growth aka sprawl is out of control. Looking like Florida in the 90’s.