• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Don't be the last vehicle in a line of vehicles

:'(
I almost became a causality this summer. Being alert and aware saved my skin.
I was headed home from a ride and was making a left turn. The left turn had a 2 lane turn off with cars filling it up. I was last in line on the left hand side, a car was to the right of me.
When I was waiting for the light, I was checking my surrounding and saw a Chevy truck coming up behind me pretty quickly. I was in gear and had the feeling he wasn't going to stop. I started looking for a way yo escape.
I was saved since I left space between me and the car directly ahead. I split the lane between the vehicle directly ahead of me and the one to its right. There was a small gap and I jumped to it.
The guy in the Chevy kept coming and smashed into the back of the vehicle I was just following. Hit them doing like 20mph with brakes locked up. If I hadn't moved I would have been a causality.
Couple of take aways:
1. Keep your bike in gear and stay alert.
2. Always have an escape route.
3. Don't be last in line if you can.
4. If in doubt err on the side of caution.

+1 , I'm always stopped in gear ready to go at lights and watching everything , front , sides , and behind .

As a newish rider I really want to thank you for this post. I ride very defensively and try to be aware of the possible dangers in the different situations I find myself in. This is a good one to keep in mind when riding in heavy traffic. Thanks again for sharing!

Clem said:
As a newish rider I really want to thank you for this post. I ride very defensively and try to be aware of the possible dangers in the different situations I find myself in. This is a good one to keep in mind when riding in heavy traffic. Thanks again for sharing!

A motorcyclist in this area died in a similar situation a couple years back - except he wasn't in the las spot - he was in front of the last vehicle, and didn't even see the truck speeding towards the back of the line...  The impact pushed vehicles 5 and 6 cars ahead of the last vehicle.

I'm sure details are un-necessary, but, at least partly because of this, I've always thought that being out back, where you can at least see them coming, isn't that bad a spot to be...

Jamie

When I am unavoidably in that situation, I do all those things, plus I turn on my yellow four-way flashers.  That gets their attention much more than the steady red brake lights.

Nosmo said:
When I am unavoidably in that situation, I do all those things, plus I turn on my yellow four-way flashers.  That gets their attention much more than the steady red brake lights.

That is better than my method. I always use my blinkers in traffic and when other vehicles are in sight. Not so much as to obey the law, even though I do with the exception of velocity, but more to show others that I am there. Blinking lights draw more attention than solids.

If I'm in a position where I don't have to use my brakes to hold the bike in place, I flash my brake lights (using my front brake lever). I have one of the LED "disco" lights that Murph used to sell and it seems to really attract attention.

Hi,
      Install hyperlites! First thing I did! :great:

Attachments

• Jo Guest 0002.jpg
    Jo Guest 0002.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 140