• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

drive shaft maintence

wildkaw

Tricycle
I am a new owner of 2010 and worried about drive shaft  :-\ noise. I use my motorcycle everyday to commute to work from Fort Worth to Austin. The bike currently has 9k miles and is making more noise than I think it should. After removing the rear wheel does the shaft come out easy if I just remove the brace on top and pivot the rear drive down? I’ve hear some saying it is an easy job? I would rather just grease it up and see if the noise goes away than leave her in the shop for days and spend money driving my pickup (Cage).  Do I need any special tools or instructions?
Thank you,
Jeff Goodwin

It's not too hard to do. Personally, I like to remove the drive shaft so you can grease the splines on both ends and also check the caps on the U joints. It's covered in the service manual, which you should have before attempting this, cause you'll need the torque values for all the bolts. But basically you remove the rear wheel, and unbolt the rear drive and swing it down to access the rear spline, and then you remove the plastic cover and boot and push in a retaining pin on the front to release the front spline and pull the drive shaft out. I like to use Honda Moly paste on the splines. I also covered this in a section on my video if you have it.

From the parts directory above!

Service Manuals

2008 C14 Service Manual - 99924-1379-01
2009 C14 Service Manual - 99924-1379-02
2010 C14 Service manual - 99924-1431-01
2011 C14 Service manual - 99924-1431-02

Listen to the noise on my 2008 (before and after Honda Moly 60 lube) About 8,500 miles on it when I recorded the videos, now about 9,000 and no noise still.

Before

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLishjQyuDo

After

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-2t5eOIhoc

Brent

BTW: Buy Fred's DVDs before you do it yourself. Fred's DVD will save you many $ and much time and a few swear words

anyone ? Anyone? ANYONE?

Bump Bump .. :-\

From 2008 Service Manual

Drive line noise:
Rear wheel coupling damaged
Bevel gear bearing worn
Bevel gears worn or chipped
Insufficient lubricant
Bevel gears misaligned
Tetra lever links bearings worn

I had a little light clicking on mine that sounded similar and went away after I pulled the driveshaft and lubed both ends with Honda Moly.

as for lube i run --- Royal Purple SYNTHETIC OIL == max-gear SAE 75w-140  drain out you old or even new gear lube and try this stuff it is like butter smooth

take it in and if after they look at it , yes it will but there will need to be some thing wrong first , just a sound with no damage i dont think so

Hey any tech days coming up?  I'd love to do this maintenance, but screwing it up alone would leave few options........... :c002: :38:

If you can remove the rear wheel. And have enough basic hand tools get some Honda Moly 60 and Fred's DVD Concours 1400 Maintenance Videos  http://www.angelridevideos.com.Sorry I do not know of any tech days.

Lubing the rear drive on the C14 takes tops 2 hours. Just clean the outside of the drive and have some clean rags.