• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Droid 2 with built in gps

flcerberus

Just got a Motorola Droid 2 from Verizon that has a built in Satellite based gps. I used it recently to go on about a 45 mile ride down to Sarasota FL and was able to use my helmet speakers to hear the voice prompts clearly and it was accurate down to my destination. The thing I found pretty cool was that since it uses a google based operating system was that it pulled up a photograph from google earth to show my destination at the end.  The available free applications for up to date weather and radar are a nice addition as well.  I found a nice mount for it that I intend to purchase as well that will keep it out of the elements. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VKZRQI/ref=asc_df_B003VKZRQI1395150?smid=A2QDQQXLQ5UXT6&tag=shopzilla_mp_1303-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B003VKZRQI

Most android phones have gps chips instead of the cell tower approximation, and I agree, it's really nice. And great find on that mount. I've got an Aria, and have been wanting something like that. Can you post a report on that mount when you get it and test it? The Aria is smaller than the normal android phones, so I'd really be interested in whether it could fit a smaller phone.

Congrats on the Droid 2. Great phone.

I bought my wife a Droid2 for her birthday last August, she loves it and especially the nav.  I have to say I'd be a bit worried about the abuse it would take on the bike between bumps/jolts/vibration and the elements, though.  These are things that Garmin has designed their devices specifically to handle, and they seem to stand up to it.  Keep us posted on your experiences!

I think about how many times the average person drops there cell phone and I am not worried too much about vibration or shock. Moisture I think would be my worst problem but the enclosure mount system looks as though it would do a good job of shielding it. I will post updates.

Chris,  I am thinking bout getting one of these.  One question I have though, can it play audio books from Audible.com?  I much prefer to listen to books than music.
Thanks

If the audio books are in standard MP3 format, there should be no problem at all playing them on the Droid 2.  If they have some form of Digital Rights Management (DRM, aka Copyright Protection), then I'm less sure.  I used to get audiobooks off Librivox.org, and they're just plain vanilla MP3's, which will play on any Android-based phone.

They do have the the DRM.  I have a monthly account with Audible and get 2 books per month for about $23.  They are mine forever, not just temporary.  Just cannot share them on any player that is not Audible compatible.  According to Audible the Motorola "Q" phones are, but I can't tell on Verizon or Motorola sites which ones are "Q".

Not sure, do a google search with what you are looking for coupled with droid app and it may answer your question.

I have the Droid X, the gps and Google Earth combined, awesome.  As for weather, if you have a signal you can even pull up weatherunderground.  With all the apps, there is little need for anything else.  I have a 32 gb card in mine and it carries over 8 gb of music, several videos, a good number of pics, can work as satellite radio, and can work as a ebook reader.  Yes, it is an all in one device.  I have apps to find whatever one would need; gas stations, hotels, restaurants, liquor stores, etc.  On the bike I tried putting it under the clear plastic window on my tank bag.  When I reached in to get it I found it to be quite HOT.  So do get yourself a mount or someway to hold it in the open air.  As for waterproof, doubt it, so I put it away then.

tcars
John

Trust me, constant vibrations are very different from shock.  Several of the guys in the club I ride with have contacts inside radio wear out from the vibration.  This batteries, sim cards, remote displays, etc.  Some of those were riding Gold Wings!  Do what you can to isolate your stuff from the vibes. 

I'm moved my electronics from the handle bars to the tank bag.  I'm using a Marsee with the firm sides and hard plastic lid over a compartment where the map pocket is on most bags.  I've not had THOSE kind of electronics problems since.

The picture here shows a somewhat milky top cover.  Mine is totally clear, I think polycarbonate.

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/Marsee10LPocketRocket/MarseeTankBags2

Only downside is on a sunny day it's a bit of a green house in there.  Gets hot!  A piece of paper on the inside of the lid covering everything cuts the temps, but naturally you can't see anything.  I've been meaning to try a heat blocking film on it to see if that helps, but the paper working as well as it does, and not REALLY wanting to look down there that much while I'm moving, I'm not real motivated to go out of my way trying it.

The smartphones in general, and Android phones specifically seem to get quite hot, especially when being charged and when using the GPS for extended periods of time.  I've been putting my phone in the clear plastic top of my tankbag, and as soon as I get my communication system, that will work perfectly for me, I think.  I have thought and thought about getting a mount, like what I have in my truck, but I also think the vibrations over time will just mess things up.

Taliesin said:
The smartphones in general, and Android phones specifically seem to get quite hot, especially when being charged and when using the GPS for extended periods of time.  I've been putting my phone in the clear plastic top of my tankbag, and as soon as I get my communication system, that will work perfectly for me, I think.  I have thought and thought about getting a mount, like what I have in my truck, but I also think the vibrations over time will just mess things up.

I put some things in the top of my tank bag under the clear map cover before.  Everything I have put in there besides paper maps has failed.  It could be the 90+ degree days sending the map area to >140.  That is sure something to think about before you put your phone in there and head south.

We are scheduled for an Upgrade from Verizon this month.  Looks like we're getting four Droid X's.  I'm installing a Diamond shaped RAM ball on the left side of my dash (above the power switch on the angled portion).  Indicated by the Red dot.
DSC06772-1.jpg

I'm hoping the Vib's will be greatly reduced there.

The GPS mount on the top of the dash is no longer there.....or the pointer. :)

Tele130 said:
We are scheduled for an Upgrade from Verizon this month.  Looks like we're getting four Droid X's.  I'm installing a Diamond shaped RAM ball on the left side of my dash (above the power switch on the angled portion).  Indicated by the Red dot.

I'm hoping the Vib's will be greatly reduced there.
The GPS mount on the top of the dash is no longer there.....or the pointer. :)

Very good idea.  I have mounted both my Garmin GPS and my Jensen radio similarly, but on the top sides of the shroud and they have been fine there.  You can readily tell how much less vibration there is by just taking your left hand and touching it, versus say, the clutch master cylinder reservoir, during a ride.  Just make sure whatever mount you have really locks the phone in place; perhaps tether it (as a backup to the cradle) to start out until you are absolutely sure it's not going to come out...  :eek:

smithr-scad said:
I put some things in the top of my tank bag under the clear map cover before.  Everything I have put in there besides paper maps has failed.  It could be the 90+ degree days sending the map area to >140.  That is sure something to think about before you put your phone in there and head south.

I put a map or other paper over electronics I have up there.  They're still easily accessible, and the shade is enough to keep them cool.  If you have something that makes lots of heat on it's own, not a good idea to put it in a confined space.