• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Dual Admore mini light bars install

fartymarty

SC AAD
I mounted them in an aluminum channel assembled from two Home Depot 1½ inch angle extrusions. This should provide some protection, both from the elements, and from me banging into them when walking around the bike. I had considered hanging them under the Givi mounting brackets about even with the plate light, but then I decided that they would be even more protected right under the topcase just above the stock taillight. I bent some aluminum bar stock and mounted it on the back of the assembled channel. I then clamped the bar in position and drilled small pilot holes through both the bar stock and the Givi mounting brackets and then enlarged them separately to ¼ inch.  Exclusive of the painted brackets, most of the mounting hardware that came with the light bars was Stainless. I replaced the four ¼-20 bolts that were not stainless, with stainless equivalents and purchased two stainless bolts and acorn nuts to attach the assembly to the Givi brackets.
Since the LEDs don’t go all the way to the ends of the bars I knew there would be a light- gap in the middle even if the light bars were touching, so I decided to purposely have a  gap between them and just fill it with a red reflector. The gap also made it much easier to get at the inboard end screws of the light bars. The whole assembly measures 18 inches wide. I cut a piece of aluminum to fill the middle gap, and attached a reflector there, and a reflector on each end. The inboard turn signals are only used when I first turn on the bike or when the hazard flashers are on. I accomplished this by putting two 12v relays in series, each activated by opposite turn signal circuits which functions as in an electro-mechanical AND gate to activate the inboard turn signals.  These light bars were not designed to work in pairs yet the initial 3 flashes are fairly well in sync.  Overall I’m happy with the results, I think it is as visually present as if it was a full 18 inch light bar.

i-kLgjdgp-X2.jpg

i-NqwKfXR-X2.jpg

i-zqfxVRL-X2.jpg

i-P4cq8tf-X2.jpg

i-9qHdXGr-X2.jpg

edit: Finally added a video. Not very good, which is why I didn't put it up in the first place. If I get a better one I'll
come back and replace this one.

https://vimeo.com/55235790

^-^

great article and I appreciate the pictures and I'm considering doing it to my  2010-14. I'm not sure I understand what and why you put the 12v relays in the circuit could you give a novice more info?

Since I'm in the market for a Top Trunk, I've also got a couple of questions on what appears to be a  GIVI E55?

1. How do you like it?
2. What mount did you use?
3. It appears that you used the GIVI stoplight kit instead of the admore light kit, which included the turn signals. Is this correct, and if so, why did you chose the GIVI vs the Admore Light kit?

Thanks in advance

Tagrok said:
I'm not sure I understand what and why you put the 12v relays in the circuit could you give a novice more info?

The center inboard turn signals would never get used unless I could decide how to activate them only when the hazard 4 way flashers were on. Since I am one of the few
that use the flashers in an active school zone, ( :sign0023:) I use my hazard flashers more than most do. I have the two center inboard turn signals hooked together, and they are powered by the tail light circuit through the two relays. Each relay’s trigger coil is hooked to the opposing turn signal, so unless both turn signals are activated the center inboard signals do not flash. When you first turn on the bike or when the hazard flashers are on then both relays are energized and the center signals flash. I mounted the two Radio Shack 1 amp relays (LEDs are low current draw so no heavy duty automotive relay was needed) to a circuit board, covered the solder joints and wires with epoxy and tape and stuffed the board in a foam sandwich under the seat. I also had to cut the plastic cover that is to the rear of the passenger seat for wire clearance as there were two Admore cables and the Givi case cable that had to go through there.

Tagrok said:
…….on what appears to be a  GIVI E55?

1. How do you like it?
2. What mount did you use?
3. It appears that you used the GIVI stoplight kit instead of the admore light kit, which included the turn signals. Is this correct, and if so, why did you chose the GIVI vs the Admore Light kit?

(1) Yes it is a Givi E55 and I am very pleased with the case. The separately  purchased Givi colored (blue) cover is my only disappointment as I think the plastic bosses that hold down the front of the cover are too small and I am concerned that it will fly off at speed.
(2) I used the Givi SR410 rack/support, which is not as nice looking as Phil’s rack and the install is more involved. It is however very sturdy and is great for mounting things like the extra Admore lights. You also can use any padlock to lock up helmets to it when your cases are already full of stuff.
(3) I purchased the Deluxe E55 which came with upper and lower interior liners and pre-installed brake LEDs . It was only $60 more so I went for it. If I had to install the LEDs I would have went with the Admore kit LEDs to get the turn signal function in the case. The Givi rack to case electrical connection is a little slicker than the Admore one, but that’s easier to do with only two wires.
I also sort of disassembled the Givi case and put silver relective material under the red plastic since the foil stuff that was in there from Givi didn't show up at night very well.

Here are (too many) more pictures:

i-xjvwStd-X3.jpg

i-ZvxHFGZ-X3.jpg

i-Hv3Zvbt-X3.jpg

i-S5LRhWc-X3.jpg

i-D4KqpgH-X3.jpg

i-LLqVMpG-X3.jpg

i-hGhd6pT-X3.jpg

;D Thanks for the additional info and pictures of the dual bar.  Next step is ordering the E55; but got to make decision on lights. I like the deluxe option price - but also like having the turn signals in the trunk; decisions, decisions, decision. Figure I'll go with the Ardmore lights and try and make my own liner.

I like this installation, very clean, and I am intrigued by the wiring you did for the center indicators, but I'm having trouble picturing it. Any chance you could whip up a quick wiring diagram? Thanks.

jonathan said:
.......I am intrigued by the wiring you did for the center indicators, but I'm having trouble picturing it. Any chance you could whip up a quick wiring diagram? Thanks.

It wasn't quick, but that had more to do with my crappy drawing software (MS Paint), anyway here's what I came up with I hope it makes sense.

i-ZBw8PZ4-X3.jpg

Admore install instructions

edit: I added a crappy Video to the original post.