• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Dunlop roadsmart iv

nomoreusmc6802

I see a lot of guys say they don't like to Dunlop on their Connie but I haven't seen anyone say anything about the roadsmart can I have some reviews and input please?

I see a lot of guys say they don't like to Dunlop on their Connie but I haven't seen anyone say anything about the roadsmart can I have some reviews and input please?
I wrote up a report (nothing too detailed) back in 2021 when I tried at least 5 different models of tires and landed on the Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart IV as the tire of choice for longevity without loss of our demanding riding needs. We ride 2-up and many times loaded with supporting gear. We do ride relatively spirited and enjoy the full range of the C-14's capabilities (well as much as an average joe can on the street without dying)...

We generally ride 12K - 16K miles per year. Our challenge has always been tires wearing out prematurely. We do not trailer to/from our target riding spots and naturally have some extended high speed droning (longest single day last year 973 miles) then when at the mtns or canyons it's full game on. So we need our tires to perform and last across a large exposure of variables and abuse.

Rather than finding my previous post I summarized our findings in 2021. Your mileage may vary (pun intended... I think) but this is one crazy C-14 rider's experience.
  • Michelin
    • Pilot Road 4 GT - Smooth at first, after 3K miles started feeling notchy and wearing oddly. Actually melted the edges tearing through the mountains, kind of disappointing. The first 3K miles were smooth and plush. I would believe more tame riding this tire would be an ideal Michelin tire.
    • Road 5 GT - I thought these tires did not feel quite as planted as the PR4 GT. Tires totally done before 5K miles. Comfort faded at between 3K and 4K miles. The first 3K - 4K miles smooth.
  • Pirelli
    • Angel GTII - Stuck to dry roads great like the Michelins however the longitudal grooves I found tracked the road siping on concrete surfaces and tracked VERY badly on open grate bridges. Also found tar snake edges resulted in a tracking challenge. Other than this the tire handled well on dry pavement, no wet conditions tested - I could not live with the aforementioned shortcomings and I swapped them at under 3K miles
  • Dunlop
    • Sportmax Roadsmart III - Stuck the same as the Michelins on dry, smoothness lasted longer than Michelins. Did lose the rear traction once on a combination of cold tire and wet road, pucker factor engaged. Lasted ~6K miles. Mostly maintained performance throughout tire life, got a little rough/rigid toward end.
    • Sportmax Roadsmart IV - Stick solid like the Michelins and last >30% longer. No issues in wet, cold, heat and mileage is ~7K which is outstanding from our experience.
At the end of the day I have run the Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart IV since 2021 in conditions from 19*F --> 109*F. The handling of snow (accumulating wet skim on road), torrential down pour, sweltering heat, cross-winds, tracking, pull away traction, emergency stopping stability, two-up carrying, low speed / high speed has been great and mileage better than any other tire I tried previously.

We run a Penske double adjust rear and stock front suspension.

I hope this helps, if you are on the fence I would say give them a shot. Oh I do run the taller rear 190/55 profile tire, the extra contact patch seems to feel good when deep in the corners and turn-in a little quicker too.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Woops I just noted this was for the C10 not the C14.

Well I will leave my experience for the C14 up for your reference.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Unless you have 17 inch wheels, they won't fit. The Dunlop's that came on the bike weren't really popular.

Stock tire sizes HTH

Attachments

• IMG_20230407_204705_522.jpg
    IMG_20230407_204705_522.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 49
They offer only a front Roadsmart tire in a C-10 120/70-18 size.
They do not have a 16" rear tire in any size.

I have the Metzler Roadtech Z8 on the front of my C-10 in the 110/80-18 size.
And now for a little controversy; The rest of the story.
On the rear (as an experiment) I replaced the 160/80-16 with a 180/60-16 radial. (180/60ZR-16 Shinko Journey)

The big tire is squeezed onto the rim and that "squeeze" reshaped the tire so that it has the profile of a front tire.
The result of the 2 tires is "really" quick cornering response...
IIIiiiiiiiii Like it!!

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
I
As Johnny Carson used to say, I did not know that. Never heard that mentioned as an option in previous discussions. Interesting.
I’ve been running the Roadsmart III’s for almost 2 years and little over 6k. Front wheel is still OEM with Mean Streak on rear. Good tires in all conditions found on Western North Carolina roads. 2000 C-10

Roadsmart 3 on OEM front, 110/80-18 size; Roadsmart 4 on Mean Streak rear, 170/60-17 size. It's been a really good combination for me; probably the best combination of mileage & stick for this flatlander. Might try the RS 4 120/70-18 next time, but I do like my quick turn-in on a 110.

RoadSmart III rear - 160/70ZR17 on a meanie.
RoadSmart IV front - 120/70ZR17 on a ZR7/S front
upgrades to forks and rear shock and brakes as well. this likely contributes to the RS results I've had.

C10

over 6K. handling, traction remain constant throughout tire life. they feel very planted when leaned over hard in tight corners, wet traction very good as well (important up here in the wet side of PNW). absolutely way better handling/braking than stock setup. confidence inspiring in the corners to the point of no chicken stripes on the rear tire. still some on front, but that might be due to suspension geometry as I've dragged pegs before and still the fronts don't get out to their edges. I just wish Dunlop would release a 160/70ZR17 rear in the RS IV configuration. a nicely balanced tire in terms of performance and longevity.

one advantage of doing the 17" wheel conversion on the C10 is the newer tire designs are available.