• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Dyna Bead review & interesting pics

Gasman5.0

Training Wheels
I have worn my PR2's balanced with dyna beads out at 7,000 miles to the steel belt showing. This is single rider no passenger use and I am an air pressure Nazi so aired to 40-42 for the life of the tire. Previous set of PR2 lasted the same 6800 miles and were dynamic balanced wore to belts showing also. My impression I can't honestly tell any difference in wear,balance are vibration between traditional weights and beads. Both balancing methods seemed to cup identical as they wear also. Now the reason I wanted to share this you guys is what I seen when the bead filled tires where dismounted this past Sunday. Some of the beads in both front and rear tires had removed rubber from the tire and adhered to the beads. The beads all had a dark look to them as they are bright white when new and there is a noticeable wear path from where the beads run in the tire. I could mash on the rubber coated beads 1 at a time and most of the rubber would come off fairly easy but slow. I then dumped all the coated ones I could pick out into a bowl and tried mashing them together which was a lot faster removing the rubber nonce I had them kinda cleaned up I still had several coated ones in the bulk of the beads I had poured out. I dumped the remaining ones in the bowl and began working them between my thumb and the bowl to remove the rubber on the few left. I couldn't believe what was happening as I did this. The rubber started to build up on the side of the from fairly clean looking beads. The pics that I attached are from the rear tire only. The front had the same rubber issue I just did not take as many pics.

dyna001.jpg

This is how clean the beads looked after using ONLY my thumb and the bowl. No solvents , cleaners not even water. I poured them from dirty rubber coated bowl and scraped the rubber out and took the picture.
dyna017.jpg

Well done on investigating the bead method. They seem to wear the tire out from the inside. I wear mine out fast enough from the outside, no thank you!

There have been lots of reports of Dyna Beads causing tires to go flat after they get stuck in the valve core and cause the valve to get stuck open and leak. Motorcycle Consumer News did a report on them a year or two ago and found that they can actually cause an out of balance condition, especially at slower speeds. I've also been told by both Michelin and Metzler that they will void any warranty on your tire if you use them.

I've never had a single problem balancing tires with lead weights.

I picked up something in the rear tire about at about 6000 miles. It had a slow leak requiring air about every 6-7 days, I didn't plug it due to fact the beads would be sticking to the tire plug. When I removed the tire it had a piece of glass that was completely through the tire. I could see day light thru the glass that was still in the tire.

Since I'm a Dyna Beads re-seller I decided to forward this post to Carol at Dyna Beads.

Here is her response:

Thoses pictures do not show wear, you can clearly see the unworn  pattern and it does not look worn to me.  It looks clean with no wear. The Beads only show the fact that they removed all the bladder re tension solvent that the factory uses to remove the forming bladder after forming.

That a good picture for the Beads to show they are reusable!!!  The cupping indicates the tire pressure was incorrect for the load or tire specs.

Thanks you can answer them back  with my info if you would like or have anyone contact us!!

THANK YOU,
CAROL

DYNA BEADS
(TEL)585-467-6028
(FAX)585-336-9397
www.dynabeads.com

I am a big fan of the beads, and my thought is that this is a favorable report on the beads. The fact is, as mentioned above, the tire looks cleaned on the inside with no significant wear. You can see clearly the pattern molded into the inside of the tire is still there. The beads are dirty from the crap that was left in the tire from manufacturing, but were still functional, and probably could have been re-used without cleaning, though that would be a good question for Carol at Dyna Beads.

If you don't believe this is just crap from inside the tire, wipe your hands inside a new tire before you put one on.

DannyL said:
Since I'm a Dyna Beads re-seller I decided to forward this post to Carol at Dyna Beads.

Here is her response:

Thoses pictures do not show wear, you can clearly see the unworn  pattern and it does not look worn to me.  It looks clean with no wear. The Beads only show the fact that they removed all the bladder re tension solvent that the factory uses to remove the forming bladder after forming.

That a good picture for the Beads to show they are reusable!!!  The cupping indicates the tire pressure was incorrect for the load or tire specs.

Thanks you can answer them back  with my info if you would like or have anyone contact us!!

THANK YOU,
CAROL

DYNA BEADS
(TEL)585-467-6028
(FAX)585-336-9397
www.dynabeads.com
Thanks for forwarding this. I was aware of the release agent the manufacture uses prior to the install of the new tire and beads. I cleaned the inside of the tire with soap and water also with a towel wet'ed with acetone . There is a guy on the FJR forum who is a dealer for the beads and he had noted a case of the beads being rubber coated after removed the tire due to a vibration issue. The guy suspected a release agent as the possible cause. The so called wear pattern where the beads were running had a tacky feeling to it that was unusual I thought.
  I really have no complaints about the beads they worked as good as weights  honestly. One thing I did notice when I first went with the beads is the unbalance at slow speeds. This is the first time for us to use them (we put them in 3 bikes, mine is the first  re-shoe  the others look close to wearing out at about the 7k mark too.)  I put the beads back in both tires, I'm going to see what happens for the next 7k miles. I did not see any reduced wear as some claim or increased wear either. The first set of beads was installed in my brother in laws FJR, the tires were not cleaned at all, we will see if his are also coated very soon its about due for new shoes.

gasman5.0 said:
I cleaned the inside of the tire with soap and water also with a towel wet'ed with acetone .

I would HIGHLY recommend you NOT use acetone on your tires.

I have never seen the effect of acetone on rubber but have seen what it does to some plastics and if the effect is similar, I would take those tires off and toss them.

I worked in a woodworking shop and used scraps of plexi as sanding blocks, and  cleaned the self adhesive sandpaper residue off with laquer cleaner... no problem. Acetone, however caused the plexi break up into little chunks of plastic. It took overnight to do this. When I first cleaned it, it clouded the plastic and a short time later it started cracking. It looked like breaking a car door window. Only I never hit it, it did it all by itself.

I am not going to toss the new tires they were not cleaned at all,just wipe with a plain white Scott towel and mounted. I'm curious to see if the beads gather rubber? what ever it is again. The ones in the picture were wiped with a damp cloth not washed in it solvent, it flashed off in a mere 1/2 second in this 100* Texas heat. From my pass experience I usually wear PR2's out at about 6800-7300 miles that are mounted as shipped and conventionally dynamic balanced. The ones posted here lasted an actual 7103 miles. I did not see any negative effects from the solvent at all. I also wanted to comment on the response from Carol the Dyna bead rep. the picture of the Dyna beads in the bowl, that material in the bowl with the beads appeared to be tire rubber dust, it was dry just like the rubber left from doing a burnout on concrete.   

I've been using the Dyna beads for the last 7 or 8 Set's of tires with no problem's. I always look the tire over inside & out when I remove them. If you look at the picture close you'll notice that little textured design inside the tire. That is still there where the bead's roll around even though the texture starts out probably less 1/32" in height. So I do not believe the bead's wear out the inside of the tires. I scoop the bead's out & reuse them, even the black coated ones. Don't know how they work, but I've never had any viberations or odd tire wear.

Cliff  :beerchug:

I don't any negative feedback either and I dumped the beads back in the tires and took off riding. The only thing that crossed my mind is in the event you puncture the tire and need to plug it what happens when the beads contact the sticky plug. I don't know if you feel an unbalance or if it they would correct for it? I'm sure at some point me or my buddies will be doing a road side repair and know first hand though. I am going to keep running them and like I said nothing negative about them other than a slight unbalance when creeping along nothing to worry about at high triple digit speeds smooth and steady.

Quick question for you guys using the beads. What is the total weight of the beads you need to use
to balance a tire that takes 1 oz of lead to balance?

I won't use beads,  I don't have a problem with plain ol lead.... and there are just to many "if's for me to be comfortable with them.... :(

Mad River Marc said:
I won't use beads,  I don't have a problem with plain ol lead.... and there are just to many "if's for me to be comfortable with them.... :(
Beads are really not that complicated. Transport companies have been using them for years without problems.

As a re-seller ALL of my customers love them and the are glad they did it. The best part is if you should really hit something that

throws your balancing off , it'll just compensate and you'll never even notice the hit!

The key to not having problems is do mount the tire dry or the least amount of lube possible as not to have it accidentally fall inside the tire.

If it does it will cause clumps and then you're screwed.

Here's a demo....

DynaBeads demo video

Here is an excerpt from the article in Motorcycle Consumer News article on them.

" MCN evaluated the Dyna Beads on a reader's suggestion back in October of 2006. Although the tiny white ceramic beads have apparently found favor with long-haul truckers, we tested them in a Honda 599. Using a shop's spin balancer, we checked the bike's rear wheel, which had 1.6 oz. of balance weights in place. The balancer agreed with the amount and location of the weights. After installing the specified two ounces of beads in the rear tire and then removing the rim weights, the balancer found an out of balance condition. This test was repeated five times and the balancer continued to call for the replacement of the 1.6 oz. of rim weights in the same location. Over-the-road testing was next. Without the rim weights, the rear wheel produced noticeable vibration and the installation of the beads gave a barely perceptible improvement. Also, the weight of the beads added so close to the tire tread gave a noticeable increase in gyro stability, making the steering heavier. We also tried them on a car and were disappointed. Bottom line: Save your money for a proper spin balance."

They must work to some degree or I've had 8 sets of perfect tires & that's highly doubtful. I think I'll get some weights  this week & randomly stick them on my wheels to see if the bead's con-finsate for it.

I didn't know they were popular with long haul trucks....hmmm...and all those chunks of exploded tires all over the road . Makes me wonder .

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
Here is an excerpt from the article in Motorcycle Consumer News article on them.

" MCN evaluated the Dyna Beads on a reader's suggestion back in October of 2006. Although the tiny white ceramic beads have apparently found favor with long-haul truckers, we tested them in a Honda 599. Using a shop's spin balancer, we checked the bike's rear wheel, which had 1.6 oz. of balance weights in place. The balancer agreed with the amount and location of the weights. After installing the specified two ounces of beads in the rear tire and then removing the rim weights, the balancer found an out of balance condition. This test was repeated five times and the balancer continued to call for the replacement of the 1.6 oz. of rim weights in the same location. Over-the-road testing was next. Without the rim weights, the rear wheel produced noticeable vibration and the installation of the beads gave a barely perceptible improvement. Also, the weight of the beads added so close to the tire tread gave a noticeable increase in gyro stability, making the steering heavier. We also tried them on a car and were disappointed. Bottom line: Save your money for a proper spin balance."

Curious.  I used them in my Vstrom with great results.  I went so far as to mount a new front tire and put weights on the heavy side of the wheel.  Riding down the road it was like riding a pogo stick.  I then added the beads, left the weights on, rode the same stretch at the same speed and it was smooth as glass.  I then took off the weights and it remained smooth for the life of the tire.

Dynamic balancers work differently than motorcycle suspensions, which is why a tire won't read as balanced with the beads. I've had nothing but good results, perfectly smooth rides since using the beads, better than using weights and not having weights stuck on my newly painted wheels.

WillyP said:
Dynamic balancers work differently than motorcycle suspensions, which is why a tire won't read as balanced with the beads

- why do you say so ?

- would have thought that if some balancing system is going to work at all , the best place for it to strut its stuff would be a simple in-situ balancing machine as opposed to the forces that play on a wheel in actual service on the road.

- that and if they work as well as advertised , why don't car/bike manufacturers use them ? It would save so much time/money for them.

DannyL said:
If you don't like the product or feel you KNOW it doesn't work then don't use them, simple as that.

No need to make a negative or cocky comment that has nothing to do with the subject at hand.  :-X

Ok, point taken. Cocky comment deleted.

I had some free time today so went I went & got some weights. Then headed to a freshly paved road, I road the bike at 2 steady speed's of 40 & 60 for a few miles  at each speed all good. Then I randomly placed 1/2 oz of weight on the back wheel & repeated, still all good. Then another 1/2 oz & repeated, still all good. Then again, all still good. So I then stopped & added 1 oz to the front wheel, all still good.
Total added to rear wheel 1 1/2 oz, total on front 1 oz & the bike is still as smooth as when I started.
I think that much weight randomly added to the wheels would throw it off, but there was no change.

I was really excited to use the Dyna Beads. Took them to my local shop that mounts many MC tires (admittedly mostly Harley and V Twins) and is an avid rider. HE installed the tires...brand new PR3s as he has done on both my bikes. NEver gave it a second thought that there were still weights on the wheels as it really did not register as odd (one of those things you see but seems so normal).

THose brand new PR3's had some very strange wear patterns and were pretty much Toast at 3K. When I took the bike in at 17K to have the TPMS changed out under warranty I had Murph ship some new tires as long as they were off. THe dealer was asking why I had the PR3's and if I knew how strange the wear pattern was.

When he took the tire off he found the dyna beads in the tires still in the package. I asked my guy about it to which he replied "they are in a package that is supposed to explode and release them into the tire as it spins". YEah I am not trusting my bike to him again.

I am not sure where his line of thinking came from as he said he read it on a forum. Hopefully that is not gaining any traction anywhere and Dyna Bead dealers and resellers are quashing that in favor of telling installers that they must release them. 

freebird6 said:
I am not sure where his line of thinking came from as he said he read it on a forum. Hopefully that is not gaining any traction anywhere and Dyna Bead dealers and resellers are quashing that in favor of telling installers that they must release them.

There are other types of balancing beads that I've use that actually are installed in the pouch. They come double bagged because the inner bag is SOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo thin.

Dyna Beads must be installed loose....

freebird6 said:
When he took the tire off he found the dyna beads in the tires still in the package. I asked my guy about it to which he replied "they are in a package that is supposed to explode and release them into the tire as it spins". 

Wow! I guess no one reads instructions anymore.

handyman said:
freebird6 said:
When he took the tire off he found the dyna beads in the tires still in the package. I asked my guy about it to which he replied "they are in a package that is supposed to explode and release them into the tire as it spins". 

Perhaps, but it is also human to f_ck up sometime......  ;)

DannyL said:
handyman said:
freebird6 said:

Perhaps, but it is also human to f_ck up sometime......  ;)

I know. My job is QC and QA. Some days are better than others.

freebird6 said:
(admittedly mostly Harley and V Twins) - There's your clue.....

When he took the tire off he found the dyna beads in the tires still in the package. I asked my guy about it to which he replied "they are in a package that is supposed to explode and release them into the tire as it spins". YEah I am not trusting my bike to him again.

:D Thanks for the laugh :D - THIS is why I do my own tires and most all my own work.