• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Ear bud insertion

bajakirch

Crotch Rocket
When I ride, I like to listen to music or podcasts. After lots of trial and error, I found a set of noise-reducing ear buds that seem to work really well for me: Shur SE215-CL The cost was more than I really wanted to pay for a device I'd never spent more than $15 on, but I have to say these have proven to be worth the extra coin.

So, enough shilling for Shur.

One thing that makes these pretty good at keeping wind noise out and music/talk in is the soft foam buds and the way you sort of corkscrew them into the ear canal. It took me a few times to get the hang of it, but once I did it made a real difference.

Even so, I would still have occasions where I just couldn't get them to seat properly, despite several attempts. Then, one day I was watching Formula 1 coverage and I noticed that several of the drivers would moisten their helmet earpieces before putting them in their ears. Most often with saliva.

I finally got over the 'ick' factor and tried it one day -- I moistened the tips of my fingers and spread it on the bud (I still wasn't ready to pop an ear bud I'd been sticking in my ear for over a year into my mouth -- blech!). I have to say that the ear bud slid into place like a greased pig. Did the same with the other ear and I was sold.

I thought that might be helpful to anyone else using ear buds that get inserted into the ear.

Does your helmet catch on them? How are they when the music is off? Are they a good earplug?

I always wet my foamies and it works great.

gsun said:
Does your helmet catch on them? How are they when the music is off? Are they a good earplug?

I always wet my foamies and it works great.

If they're properly seated, they're pretty much flush with my outer ear, and I had much fewer instances of the helmet catching them (and yanking them out) when I put it on. Certainly much better than the ear buds I previously used, which required a pretty intricate bit of maneuvering when I put my modular helmet on.

However, I recently started wearing a helmet liner I picked up cheap at Cycle Gear. I originally got it to help prevent some of the helmet hair I was experiencing with my new Shoei helmet. But I discovered it works great for keeping the ear buds in when I put my helmet on. Helmet just slides right over them, no muss, no fuss.

I find that reaching over my head with the off side arm and gently lifting up on the ear straightens my ear canal and makes the insertion easier. Reverse for the other side.

I bought these and I couldn't be happier. They aren't only earbuds, but they are actually certified to reduce decibels (NRR rating of 25, costs approx. $30). You could shoot guns with them if you wanted. I had tried "noise canceling" headphones, but if you look into the science behind it, all it does is play a certain frequency to drown out other sounds. It doesn't actually reduce the decibel level of the outside sound, which can lead to hearing loss over time.

https://www.plugfones.com/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RW1R81E/ref=twister_B016LDE35C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I confess, I lick my earbuds every time :-\. If your own ears gross you out.....well.......guess I'll just drop this now ;)

2fast said:
I confess, I lick my earbuds every time :-\. If your own ears gross you out.....well.......guess I'll just drop this now ;)

I am going to say this in the most manly way I can.. Ew, Ew, Ew!!!!!

Your ears are never clean for long. Anyhow...

I use custom earbuds and have had issues with skin irritation over long rides of several days or longer. I first started using OTO-EASE and have recently shifted to aloe vera. The shift was promulgated by what I can only identify as a spirited removal of my earbuds at bonus locations leading to irritated ear canals. Used aloe vera for almost two weeks recently with no issues. Aloe vera is also much cheaper and easier to locate.

Cheers,
Randy

Left ear canal: straight, foam plugs go in no sweat. Right ear canal: a big bend; pulling up the ear pinna doesn't straighten anything out.

OK, guys, it never occurred to me to spit on the ear plugs (as another member put it, "Eww!").

Instead I went to an audiologist and bought "ear oil", which worked fine. But it is expensive. So I went to, wait for it... Family Planning Gel!  Yes, what was formerly simple K-Y Jelly. Works much better than oil because it doesn't run down the side of your head. Just put a pea+ size dollop on your finger, pop it in your ear canal and wiggle your finger a bit, then roll the plug with the gel coated fingers and insert directly, quickly, every time. Have a small bit of paper towel or micro fiber cloth to dry your fingers on and ride off. Save that bit of paper towel to extract the ear plug, as it may be slippery and resist extraction.

In addition to making the plugs go in easily, it also ensures a very good seal, eliminating the "leaks" that can occur around folds in dry foam plugs.

By the way, I've tried custom made plugs and didn't like them; flanged plugs don't seem to work too well, either now or back in the Air Force or the Army; and multiple different brands of soft foam plugs. The best foam plugs by far for me are the blue Hearoes which up until 3 months ago were readily available at Rite Aid. After starting to use them I read in one of Bill Ayres' books that they are his favorite too.

Just my approach. Hope it's helpful.

Florida Widows Son said:
I bought these and I couldn't be happier. They aren't only earbuds, but they are actually certified to reduce decibels (NRR rating of 25, costs approx. $30). You could shoot guns with them if you wanted. I had tried "noise canceling" headphones, but if you look into the science behind it, all it does is play a certain frequency to drown out other sounds. It doesn't actually reduce the decibel level of the outside sound, which can lead to hearing loss over time.

https://www.plugfones.com/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RW1R81E/ref=twister_B016LDE35C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I've been using these for over a year now.  Two thumbs up!

This works well for me.
Just a tiny bit into the ear canal applied with your pinky.
Just don't drop your buds in the dirt later.  :eek: :-\

AdvancedRepairTube_small_tcm2858-1067609.png

I use a pair of noise cancelling bose earbuds. Definitely not cheap but when you turn on the noise cancelling....bliss. I use them with a garmin 665 xm radio. I started using them on the bike after I retired...used to travel a lot for work and these were/are very good so thought I'd try them riding. Battery powering the noise cancelling function is allegedly good for 16 hours.

I've thought about the Bose earbuds. I have the over the ear noise canceling set up and it is awesome. Dead quiet.  When you use the ear buds can you still hear traffic, etc?

I can hear everything well enough. No safety concerns. Music quality is good. Much better than speakers in the helmet...tried that. Also, on a long trip it's much less fatiguing with the noise under control. Last May/June I did a solo trip from Winnipeg-San Diego CA area-up the Pacific coast to Vancouver island and back to Winnipeg through BC etc. Having the reduced noise level and XM radio really added to the trip. I would recommend the Bose earbuds.