• Do you want to post in the COG forum? Join the club (free limited trial membership available) or upgrade/renew your membership to enjoy full posting privileges.
    For simple instructions, click here
  • Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Electric Sur Ron

Scary Harry

Fear is not boring. COG# 4090
Got to test ride the Sur Ron electric trail bike today. I R impressed. Bike only weighs about 100 pounds. Very smooth and a lot of torque. Perfect for exploring the hundreds of miles of dirt roads around where I live. I'll have to do some research on this bike, but I'm already sold.
I don't know how far I can go on a single charge yet, but I like how quiet it is.
I'll know more later.

Scary Harry

Found the website...

surron-01.png

Showed this to the wife, and to my surprise, she wants one.
Smile Ah-Huh.gif

connie_rider

That thing looks kinda cool, but the suspension seems awfully weak.
(Just remembered your not as heavy as most of us..)
I think your limited to about 30 miles.
How will that work for exploring the "hundreds" of miles of dirt roads around where U live?

Ride safe, Ted

Scary Harry

That's easy. You put it in your pickup and you drive to a new location (hub) to explore.
You can buy extra batteries and swap them out when you return from your first out and back.
Swap the battery, then head out in a new direction.

Betcha didn't think of that, huh?
WINK.gif

connie_rider

Yupp, I though to of that.
$1600 for another battery ended that thought.

Can you charge it from your truck while traveling to a different location or while setting around the campfire?

Ride safe, Ted

Scary Harry

If you buy an inverter, you can charge it from the vehicle while driving.
If you have a large enough portable solar array, you can bring that with you and charge one battery while using the other.

Look at it this way. When you are far enough away from the grid, solar and gas generators are not a bad option.
When camping, my solar batteries keep my batteries topped off for as long as needed.
When the trail is too narrow for the truck, the dirt bike is a good option whether it needs gas or electricity.

There are trade-offs no matter what you drive.
You can bring extra fossil fuel or you can bring extra batteries.
The electric bike is very quiet, that I know for sure.

kenr745542

$4100 for 30 miles. :rolleyes:

Seems way out of line to me unless you are not able to use a dirtbike where you want to ride. Even then I'd stick to pedal power before dropping that much cash for a battery bike.

Scary Harry

As is the case with my better half.
When you can't peddle and you can't handle gas powered bikes (clutch and shifting), this is a great option.

Scary Harry

I will admit, I got one of these over a month ago.
I had my doubts, but I have to say I like it.

I bought this for the Mrs. as a test and she has taken to it like a duck takes to water.
It took her a while and I'm quite sure for the first week or so, her max speed was 1 MPH.

I believe she is now up to 7, maybe pushing 10 MPH.

The bike will do over 30, but it will be a long time before she maxes out speed. She takes it down the dirt road to retrieve mail and visit her friends.
She keeps threatening to get one of her own and I keep telling her to do it. She is left handed and wants me to put the throttle on the left. I'm not sure I want to do that. She doesn't know any better, but I suspect this will be the only powered dirt bike she will ever ride, so why not?

When she actually orders one of her own, we can go on the dirt trails together. I can't wait as it will be a dream come true. She won't ride 2 up anymore, but she likes riding by herself now.

Taking it one day at a time.