• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Electrical problem

I have an 1987 Concours, when trying to start the bike with the key I will be able to start the engine, but have no headlight, tech, break light, or no neutral light or any light in the dash cluster?? The bike will start and run but without the above, also the temp gauge doesn't operate. Any suggestions to check. I know it is not afuse, this is an intermitten trouble, but happing more often. Any suggestions will help, tks Wayne TN

Wayne, Others should be chiming in here soon but sounds like the Junction Box, more specifically the relays in the J-Box. (Where the fuses are is your J-Box) The solder joints for the relays tend to get stress cracked and act intermittent like you are describing. I assume you have checked the fuses since you mentioned them, sometimes the contacts for the fuses can get hot and cause issues. Check that all connections, battery cables at the battery, wiring harness plugs at the bottom of the J-Box are good. The J-Box can be revived, sometimes just hitting the solder joints with a soldering iron will get things back to normal, but, the stock relays are not the most "stout" but can be replaced with better quality relays. Next time you start the bike and you get the same symptoms, remove the left sidecover over the fuses (J-Box) and give a sharp rap to the box and see if anything changes. If so, but not a 100% guarantee, that pretty much isolates it to the J-Box. HTH get you started in a right direction.

Wayne, Check a electrical connector that is located along the left side of the frame tube just above the top of the radiator. There is a large connector (10 connector?) that might be getting pinched by a metal clamp which would shorting out your control panel.

Hi Vic Thanks for the suggestions, I will give it a try this weekend, just went down to the bike and it did the same thing. It will start but no headlight,Tach, rear breaklight,temp guage, or netural light. Thanks for thought I will try it, tks again Wayne Tn

Let us know what's going on. If the group gets your problem resolved, having that detailed resolution on the forums can help countless others who encounter the same problem. Hopefully you'll get it resolved this weekend. :)

Good Morning Vic Just wanted to tell you, that you are the man. Just this morning I started the bike up and had no breaklights,headlights,tach,temp gauge, I did what you had suggested took off the side cover on left side struck the fuse box, and all came to live. YOu De Man. Thanks again, I will recheck That everying is clean and tight with the connectors. I hope this helps a few other riders as it can be a big deal on the road with no headlights or breaklight, or tach. Tks again for my man in Florida, Wayne Tn

Hey Wayne, Glad to hear it helped. Now, more than likely the solder joints in the J-Box are stressed cracked and/or a relay(s) are bad. There are 3 relays in there, the J-Box can be dis-assembled where you can touch up the solder joints, that might just be a temporary repair though. Replacement of the relays while you are there is probably best. Are you handy with a soldering iron? :) I last heard Murph had some relays, but I have not received an answer yet if he has any left. Tomorrow I am going to be researching my local electrical supply to see if they have the relays on hand, I have a J-Box I need to repair myself. Anything else we can assist with, ask away!

I have the relays from Murph and have ordered more to be able to offer rebuild service. Info should be on my website later this week. Larry Buck COG 3451,SE-AD (Retired)Concourier C-10 Tech Editor ROK,MTF,IBA,MSF-RC Buck Sport Touring-"Ride Far" www.bucksporttouring.com