• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Engine braking

Mercer

Link is worth the read perhaps......... Not to disagree but perhaps the question should be is friction harmful to your motorcycle? If the answer is yes perhaps we might should not start the motor at all. Yes....... I am kidding of course.

Thanks for posting. Downshifting to be in the right gear if evasive maneuver is needed is most beneficial while engine braking. I've ridden with some cruisers that use only brakes and pull in the clutch to come to a stop and downshift to first gear at the stop or worse yet go into neutral. probably don't have to state it here but be in the right gear to get yourself out of trouble if the need arises.
Interesting about the mention of the slipper clutch, which we have. I guess that wouldn't come into play unless you were to downshift without matching rpms to the point where the rear wheel would be trying locking up or rpms were close to redline?

I remember Reg Pridmore preaching about the benefits of using your gear position/downshifts and engine braking to control your speed more than actual hard braking. Riding 2 up with him was an experience I shall never forget!

Thanks for posting. Downshifting to be in the right gear if evasive maneuver is needed is most beneficial while engine braking. I've ridden with some cruisers that use only brakes and pull in the clutch to come to a stop and downshift to first gear at the stop or worse yet go into neutral. probably don't have to state it here but be in the right gear to get yourself out of trouble if the need arises.

Amen to that! Dropping the clutch and gunning it when in neutral really doesn't help much when you see that mirror filling up with a large truck not slowing enough and about to take your space. That poor decision usually results in riders no longer living to make future bad decisions. If it is too hard to hold that clutch in a stop light, then maybe it is time to buy a Goldwing DCT or maybe retire your two wheeler.