• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

engine noise 2001 concours

obfgnwont

Tricycle
Hi I recently purchased a 2001 concours. Immediately after purchasing it I drove it home, a distance of 1900km. A little over 1200 miles. It performed flawlessly. However when I start it up there is a diffenite clacking noise. When I rev the engine the noise does not get any worse and seems to lessen as the engine warms up. On the road I cannot hear the noise even when lowering my head. I can hear the engine fine but not the clacking noise. This noise was present when I bought it and has not got any worse. I don't know if this is a normal noise or something to be concerned about. As stated the bike runs really well in all gears and responds to all throttle imputs without hesitation. Any information will be appreciated. I surfed through the post but was unable to find anything similar. If there is please direct me to it. Tks.

Sounds like the cam chain. A lot of connies do this. The automatic adjuster is not getting to the next notch. As the chain wears more it will move to the next notch. Maybe it will quiet, maybe not. Some owners stretch the spring a little,some move the adjuster manually. I replaced mine with a manual one.

I think Andrew is correct sounds like cam chain. Mine just went through the same thing, finally clicked a few weeks ago no noise is gone. Check out some of the info here http://www.ldrider.ca/techpages/

Shortly before the tensioner jumps to the next notch, it will sound like someone put the Hammers of Doom in your engine. I got tired of it and put a manual tensioner from these guys on my bike. http://zxzone.com/sprockets.html

HI again. Thanks for the prompt replies. I took the tensioner out and it appeared to be in fine shape. The rod was only out about 3 notches. The rod moved out easily and the retaining block prevented the return of the rod, unless the block was depressed manually. I reassembled the everything but the clocking noise was still present. This morning I took it apart again. As before the rod was out about three notches. This time I assembled the tensioner to see if the spring was able to push the rod out and it was. After reasembly the clacking noise was still there but possibly not as loud. Went for a ride and the end there was no noise. But after allowing it to cool down for an hour I restarted the bike and the noise seemed to be gone and then came back but at a lower volume. I guess my question is, even though the tensioner seems to move easily could it not be doing the job once installed. Or is it likey that there is some other source for the noise. Tks.

It's just not ready to jump that next notch. You can force it to the next click, but you're just going to wear something else before the chain loosens to the next level. It sounds like hell, but it'll move when it's ready. You've already proven it'll move on it's own by pushing in the spring, so it's just waiting for something to wear a bit more. Of course, you can buy the manual adjuster and never worry about it again. http://millerized.com/pegs I'll be in the garage
welder.gif
COG 6425, CDA 111 a through g
member8960.png

I say if it's not there at the second light with ear plugs in no problem. :) I am kidding... kind of. Can you go hear other Connies somewhere and see if yours is different? If you are sure it is knocking you might check piston tdc height and make sure you have not had a mild hydrolock bending a rod a bit. That is worse case. ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

HI again. Thanks for the imput. The bike really seems to run well, I mean twitch the throttle and there you are....gone! Granted, my basis for comparison is apples to oranges (1982 honda cm450e, good bike but not in the same class) but still keep up to traffic and just think about passing and you at the head of the line. So I think I will just keep putting on the klicks and see how it goes. Tks,