• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

ENOUGH Negitivity

razorsedge

Scooter
Here lately it seems all I hear is negitivity about the C14. let's take the time to point out the positives.

As for myself, Im totally amazed with this motorcycle. I've owned many motorcycles but I've yet to own one like the C14 . It's amazingly smooth. Easy to handle. it's balanced well. Well thought out. I love the fuel management system. It's the most beautiful sport touring I've ever seen. Smooth sleek lines. AMAZING POWER ! The ABS is amazing. Traction control works really well. The engine is bullet proof . To me, it's a piece of engineering wonder. Thank you Kawasaki for taking the time to listen to your customer base and make the necessary improvements that has made this motorcycle the Best all around package and the envy of every other sport touring industry.

How do you feel ?

48,000 miles in 4½ years and I still love my Vivian.
I like the no-fuss KiPass, I like the stable planted feel when at speed and the flickability when in the twisties.
Yes, I've modded it somewhat but being of a "generous" width and height I have to do that to all my bikes.
Only thing I would change (again) would be the saddle. Bought a Russell last time (had to sell it due to Credit Crunch) but this time may be going the Baldwin route once I have the pennies and a spare saddle (we can ride pretty much year round here).
Have only had one serious problem and that was a smashed clutch friction plate. Still managed to limp home with the clutch slipping.
I am pretty certain I damaged it as I have a bad habit of pulling the clutch in and revving the motor when lanesplitting (to let the dozy car drivers know I'm there).
That shouldn't be a problem in the future as have a new job starting 1st Dec so will no longer be doing the daily 120mile motorway battle.  8)

I have had just slightly more than 80 motorcycles dating back to 1964 with probably about 300-400K seat miles and my 2009 Connie with ABS and a host of seat, handlebar, GPS mods has made it one of the finest bikes I have ever owned. I have owned big BMW's, Hondas, Suzuki, etc. and the Connie is the bike that I will probably get an extended three year warranty on when I am 64 years old and probably ride it until I am at least 67 :-*

I love the "Thumb the starter and go" mentality  no chokes and waiting for her to warm up etc... fires easily and on the first shot! :)

I really have nothing negative to say about my Connie. Power, handling, braking, comfort, features for the price, are all pretty amazing. I'm sure people who come off a sport bike will have things to say about some of these things, but coming off of a cruiser, the Connie does everything better, without compare. I think everyone does some modifications to their bike to make it theirs, every bike I've ever had I've done things to for comfort, visibility, things like that, and the Connie was no different, so I can't consider that a negative.

It's really the 1st bike I've ever had that I can't wait to ride, and when I used to take the Vulcan on the 20-30 mile route to the grocery or beer store that are 2 miles away, now it's 100+. It's killing me that my Corbin seat came yesterday and the weather was too crappy to ride, and now I'm on call for work and can't stray too far. But I'll get some miles in today at some point, I'll find a reason to run an errand or something. Who cares that it's 40 degrees, the sun is out!

ZG said:
Trouble said:
Here lately it seems all I hear is negitivity about the C14.

It's winter, people are just grumpy...  :38:

It's a fact of forums. People want to talk about possible problems and solutions. Most people don't feel the need to have a love fest, just to try to feel good about their motorcycles. If you don't want to discuss problems and solutions on the bike, then don't read them. The other members are just as entitled to have the conversations they want, as you are to have a love fest. don't get me wrong, but that's the way most forums are. If the bike was perfect, there wouldn't be all that much to discuss!  ;)
Now to be fair, the bike is a great bike. Not perfect, as no bike is. But a great all around bike. Too bad the later bikes had to be slower.  A pretty smooth running bike that will get you in trouble if you don't pay attention to how fast your going. It can be quite the deception when at speed.  :)

2009 connie,had for two years since new,57000 miles,don't know anything else I'd replace it with.only problems were tps(replaced under warranty), and front brake rotors.It ain't perfect, but neither am I, so we get along great... 8)

Short of not currently being able to have more than one bike in the garage, my C14 is my mistress that does it all.

Long, short rides. 1-up, 2-up. No bags, fully loaded with Top Case. Hwy, Trackday. Cold (high 30's), Warm ( high 90's).

What negativity?

Other than the vibration deal, which I get, because I suffered through it on my ZX14. Darn sure not putting up with it on my C14.

I think my decision to buy a C14 actually sums up the positivity if there is such a word. I am damn impressed with the K-1600 GTL after taking one for a spin. I love the Ultra Electra Glide on the road, and they are amazingly graceful and light at slow speed.

But in the end, the C14 brings a whole lot to the table for a mere 15-something k$s compared to a $23k BMW or a $32k Harley. So it was actually a no brainer for me. Plus I get to keep a whole lot of the handling and some of the performance I grew to love in my ZX14.

Without all the pains I had to endure to ride a sport bike. I ain't getting any younger.

Only had mine for 1 year and 12,000 miles but I have no complaints, I had the front TPM unit replaced twice under warranty but other than that nothing wrong. I rode Gold Wings for 26 years before coming to the C14, if you want to hear complaining go to a GL1800 board. Front end wobble, tranny popping out of gear, tranny failures, alternator failures, bike runs after the key is turned off and taken out of the bike, frame cracking, over heating, I could go on and on and The Gold Wing is a great bike at a high price. Dollar for dollar you can't beat the Concours, IMHO

Like my '11 so much that I rode it to work this morning with the temp in the upper 30's. Got a lot of "Are you crazy?" comments, but I was fine. No heated gear, just my non-insulated over-pants over jeans, Tourmaster Sonora jacket with the liners in, heated grips at about 25%, stock windshield, and the occasional Corbin seat on/off/on/off. (It gets TOO hot to leave on all the time.)

As soon as I get a new set of tires, this bike will be very close to perfect FOR ME. It's a compromise bike for someone wanting to tour, ride twisties, commute, but only have one bike and I think it does them all perfectly FOR ME.

I started the "horror stories" thread so I could get up to speed with any potential issues that would leave me on the side of the road, or worse - in a ditch by the side of the road.

With any forum of like minded people, the usual effect is to gloss over any problems or write them off as, "it's a ____ thing". 

Talking about the good things is easy - talking about the problems and working as a group to either find a solution or press for changes takes a humble spirit willing to admit that maybe your perfect piece of machinery isn't so perfect.

From my signature you can see I own and ride a variety of bikes and I've seen the "gloss over" effect quite often with several forums.  (It also rears it's head with two other forum sets I work with - guns and musical equipment.)  With the Uralistas, when someone has an issue the quick response is, "its Ural thing - what did you expect, a Honda?  If that's what you wanted go buy one."  This is a crap way of looking at things.  There was a serious issue with rear brake springs that could have easily led to injury or death and a lot of the forum members were blowing it off.

So...I've made several posts talking about how as a new owner I've appreciated the wind management (incredible), the smooth power and the handling, the factory grip warmers are terrific, graceful lines,  heck, I even like the saddle. 

Oooooo!  Here I go!  Being "negative" - the lack of cruise control sucks.  The lack of engine case guards being made available even though they sell them in Europe sucks.  The short front fender sucks. The rear deck mounting plate is plastic and...well, sucks.

Meanwhile, I'm setting out my riding gear and electric clothing (gonna be in the low 20's) for a morning ride before I have to head out of the area for a week.  Why? Because I love my Neptune Blue 2010 Connie.

See you on the road...that's if my shaft drive doesn't lock up after my dash melts and I don't have a saddle bag eject and crash through the windshield of a bus carrying a group of nuns and then they go over a cliff and the Pope comes after my ass.

Negative? Nah!

EnsoniqDude said:
I started the "horror stories" thread so I could get up to speed with any potential issues that would leave me on the side of the road, or worse - in a ditch by the side of the road.

With any forum of like minded people, the usual effect is to gloss over any problems or write them off as, "it's a ____ thing". 

Talking about the good things is easy - talking about the problems and working as a group to either find a solution or press for changes takes a humble spirit willing to admit that maybe your perfect piece of machinery isn't so perfect.

From my signature you can see I own and ride a variety of bikes and I've seen the "gloss over" effect quite often with several forums.  (It also rears it's head with two other forum sets I work with - guns and musical equipment.)  With the Uralistas, when someone has an issue the quick response is, "its Ural thing - what did you expect, a Honda?  If that's what you wanted go buy one."  This is a crap way of looking at things.  There was a serious issue with rear brake springs that could have easily led to injury or death and a lot of the forum members were blowing it off.

So...I've made several posts talking about how as a new owner I've appreciated the wind management (incredible), the smooth power and the handling, the factory grip warmers are terrific, graceful lines,  heck, I even like the saddle. 

Oooooo!  Here I go!  Being "negative" - the lack of cruise control sucks.  The lack of engine case guards being made available even though they sell them in Europe sucks.  The short front fender sucks. The rear deck mounting plate is plastic and...well, sucks.

Meanwhile, I'm setting out my riding gear and electric clothing (gonna be in the low 20's) for a morning ride before I have to head out of the area for a week.  Why? Because I love my Neptune Blue 2010 Connie.

See you on the road...that's if my shaft drive doesn't lock up after my dash melts and I don't have a saddle bag eject and crash through the windshield of a bus carrying a group of nuns and then they go over a cliff and the Pope comes after my ass.

Negative? Nah!

Your shot out !!! lol .But a point well taken. Let's hope none of these issues surface on your bike. For the price, Im happy . I love farkles anyway .  Ride safe.

OH ! PS  Black is the FASTEST color. lol

Issues - certainly don't wish for anything for anyone! 

Would certainly prefer to have no issues, but figured if there were any I could cut them off at the pass.  (Back to the old Ural comment - I ended up checking my brakes and bought a few extra springs.  Had one break just before a long ride a few weeks later so certainly in that case, it was a good thing that there were honest forum members who were willing to make note of this issue.)

I'm absolutely pleased with my purchase.  (I'm in the army - I'm supposed to deploy so I wasn't sure if I should purchase before I left or when I get back.  Happy I took the plunge and even if I only get a thousand or so miles, those are miles well ridden.)

Great bike and from what I've seen over the last few weeks, an active forum and owner's group...

Now...just need to get a new windshield...not that there's anything wrong with the one already on the bike.  ;D

I was pleasantly suprised by the seat. I can ride all day on it without pain. I cant do an hour on my VTX without pain. Prior to getting my Connie, I expected that I would have to immediately get a different one.  But the stocker will stay.

66,000 mi. Purchsed may of 2008. Still runs & performs as good as the day I bought it. I rode this bike from L.A. To above the Artic circle on the muddy Dalton Hwy, known as the haul rd. I took this bike on trips thru baja. one thing I know, is that I can plan a trip any where I want to go & the Connie & it will make there & back with a big smile on my face.

Desert rdr said:
66,000 mi. Purchsed may of 2008. Still runs & performs as good as the day I bought it. I rode this bike from L.A. To above the Artic circle on the muddy Dalton Hwy, known as the haul rd. I took this bike on trips thru baja. one thing I know, is that I can plan a trip any where I want to go & the Connie & it will make there & back with a big smile on my face.

Now riding the Dalton is cool. I would have been afraid of tire damage though. Did you get any flats?

Cap'n Bob. The total miles for the trip 9,700 mi. Got three flats for the entire trip but non on the Dalton. My buddy that went with got zero flats. The ride was one big adventure.

Desert rdr said:
Cap'n Bob. The total miles for the trip 9,700 mi. Got three flats for the entire trip but non on the Dalton. My buddy that went with got zero flats. The ride was one big adventure.

Excellent. I want to do that trip myself.

Only 789 as of today.  Still, they were good miles. 

Took all the horses out for a run today down to the local gas station for a fill up and some Stabil afterwards.  As much as I fight it, winter is coming to NY.

Daughter rode on the Ural and the Connie - wanted to know if we were taking the ZX-11 out as well.  She stated that she likes the Connie but it sounds like a big scooter not a sport bike like the ZX-11.  Of course, had to take the 11 out for a ride after that.  I've got three more years to look for a Ninja 250...

Here's to "blowing" smoke up your skirt !!  Forums are not a "love-fest" they help riders avoid or spot problem areas in their bikes.  If you want a "love-in" ride a Harley, they never have problems and "can leap over tall buildings in a single bound."

Zedhed said:
Here's to "blowing" smoke up your skirt !!  Forums are not a "love-fest" they help riders avoid or spot problem areas in their bikes.  If you want a "love-in" ride a Harley, they never have problems and "can leap over tall buildings in a single bound."

:rotflmao:  ROTFLMMFAO

:))  This damn thing is way better than fly paper for bugs.  Every damn one of them takes at least a fingernail to get rid of.  I like the Teflon idea.  :)