• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Error Code F1 with red light

roadrocket

Mini Bike
I was out riding last night on I-95 and noticed the red light came on with a error code of F1 for about 2 seconds, then disappeared. Should I be concerned about this. My ECU has been reflashed about 2 months ago.

The current school of thought is that this is being caused by local RF or EMI interference causing CAN bus communication (parity) errors to occur. There is even a warning in the service manual that says local interference can cause temporary FI errors to occur, so apparently Kawasaki is aware of it. They are not "hard" codes, and clear themselves when you power off the ignition, so if you poll the ECU error history log, they won't show up if you've shut off the key since it occurred.

The CAN bus wires are not shielded in the wire harness and also don't even appear to be twisted pair. I could be wrong, but my gut feelings is if they had shielded the CAN buss wires a bit better or at least used twisted pair wire that we wouldn't have this issue.

It's happened to me a couple times too, once right when I passed under some high voltage transmission lines (the 115 kv variety) on a damp day. I suspect the cause was corona on the insulators from moisture, resulting in large amounts of EMI. But I've also had it occur out on a country road in the middle of nowhere for no apparent reason. Another event occurred when I was near a small airport.

I was pretty worried about it seeing I was 125 miles from home and it was around midnight. Wasnt looking forward to be sitting on the side of the road that's for sure. Sounds like I dont need to worry about it according to all of you so that's good for me.

I thought I had issues seeing that I had the ECU flashed and it was causing problems. Then I thought to myself, you just couldnt leave well enough alone could you. Always looking for that last drop of horse power (lol).

Anyways, Thanks as always.

The value of this forum just keeps on giving.... seen it on the way to work this morning and started to worry about it...then i thought...way to go you idiot, the time you need to read the manual and you left it at home.... (had pulled off the saddlebags for the day)
Then i thought well i wonder if its ever been posted of COG forum??? Sure enough.
Thanks Guys!  :motonoises:

Mine did it for the first time on Saturday. I was going up a steep incline on the highway at 75 mph. I got a little nervous when I saw it, but it was only on for a second. After I came home and did a search on the forum, I realized that I ALWAYS drop a call in the exact same spot. So there must be some freaky RFI going on there, lol.

THIS FORUM IS SO COOL!!
I read this thread on Saturday, and you'll never guess what happened for the first time during this morning's drive in to work...

The Evil Red Light Of Doom (ERLOD) blinked a couple times, and I saw the FI Error screen on the LCD.  Armed with my newly gained knowledge, I just beeped the horn in celebration and kept going.

Mine flashed again this weekend, and just like Fred said, I was crossing under some wires.  This is the third or forth thime for me, and it's always been the same.

The FI light doesn't stay on long... the mad pow-ah of KiPass SQUASHES IT immediately
bigthumb.gif

Just curious: I live right next to some high tension wires. Would leaving the bike parked near them cause EMI issues with the CANbus system or the FI?

Add me to the list.  My 2012 C14 had a momentary lapse of reason on Friday with the FI message.

I am very glad we have this forum. :)

It lets you know when the Matrix is reset.

(this is a movie reference; for folks who are going "What the hey?")

After I had my PCV and Autotune installed I rode the bike about 70 miles and stopped to get gas and my red lights came on and stayed on after the bike was turned of but did not give a Code of any kind.

Took baclk to the shop and they said it was just the system resetting itself after having the battery unplugged.

It had never been on before so i guess we will see after I ride some more soon.

Hi guys, I wanted to share my experience with this issue since it appears to be a non-issue with almost all of you. I have a 2010 ABS model with 50k miles. No mods except a Two Brothers slip-on. The FI error didn't coincide with this install but started becoming a nuisance a couple of years later.

I get an FI error all the time. Multiple times every ride. It's random and doesn't seem to be linked to a specific condition like engine RPM, speed, gear, throttle position, but I can say that it does not happen when I'm in neutral or idling sitting still. It will come in when I'm accelerating from a stop light, or while steady cruising in any gear, and it has a tendency to happen frequently when under hard (~75% or more) load. But really it has no rhyme or reason as to when it will occur.

It typically stays locked in when it happens, and I usually reach down to acknowledge it so the flashing message will stop. The red light stays on. Those of you who only momentarily see this error may not notice it, but when it comes in, the power response leads me to believe it causes the ECU to revert to a default or safe-mode fuel map. Something to that effect. When I see the FI error, I notice a slight (~5-10%) but immediate drop in engine output, similar to changing between normal and economy modes. I have essentially normal throttle response after that up to about 50% throttle position. If I continue to roll up on the throttle past this point, the engine begins to stutter and bog. Engine output drops slightly and then plateaus at this point up until probably 70% open. If I continue opening the throttle, I actually notice a significant drop in engine output and the engine bogs heavily as if it's choking for air. I can drop back down under about 50% throttle position and continue my ride, but now I'm limited to easy cruising. Nothing hard, no accelerating out of turns, and trying to pass someone on the highway isn't a quick maneuver. More than once I was in the middle of a pass when the FI error came in and couldn't continue the pass because of the reduced engine output.

I have seen the FI error clear on its own maybe once or twice. It will persist until I either disengage the clutch and coast, or shift into neutral. The error will then clear after about 5 seconds.

Sometimes I can ride for an hour or more without seeing the error. Sometimes it comes right back in every time I clear it. Either way, it's a real bummer that Kawasaki is shrugging their shoulders at this. This is a part of every ride now.

Are there any codes associated with this? I had something similar happen in that my bike showed the FI error and quit. That was it.

The dealer trouble shooter looked at the codes and decided that it was a bad connector on the ECU so both the ECU and wiring harness were changed. Where I am going with this is that it could just be a dirty connection at the ECU that is leading to this intermittent fault. Try just removing and reconnecting the harness to the ECU a couple of times to clean the connections.

I have a 2014 ABS also and had the red light flashed and the FI come up so even on the 2014 that issues is still showing up. It has only happen once as of now. Glad that I checked the COG forum. :-[

It's such a normal but occasional occurrence, I would be more worried if you never saw it. I had it happen three times in three years on my 2011. The error just flashes and quickly goes away.

Got 7900 miles in 8 months on my 2013 C14. Coming up a hill and getting on it at about 70+ mph I got the red flash, FI error and then it was gone! 1st time. Good to know its a common issue. My 1st thought was Oh S*** I lost the transponder again! ;D

Well, you would think as technical as my last answer was, I would have checked the obvious.

Be that as it may...it turned out that velcro mounting my Starcom unit directly on top of the ECU was the issue. Go figure. It stopped happening as soon as I relocated it not long after that last post in July, and I've only seen it once since.

Hi All!

I've had the same issue on my 2014 with about 2500 miles on it.  I was riding about 75 mi/hr in the rain with a headwind when the red light of doom flashed for a second or two.

Unless I see it again in the near future, I know now not to bother bringing it to the dealer.

Thanks  :great:

4Bikes said:
It's such a normal but occasional occurrence, I would be more worried if you never saw it. I had it happen three times in three years on my 2011. The error just flashes and quickly goes away.

I'm worried, I haven't seen mine since about when it had 101,000 miles, perhaps its finally wearing out on me. Or perhaps my FOB battery is low
icon10.gif

I saw mine briefy on Saturday. The red warning light flashed and the display said "Fi error". It happened so fast, some may miss it. Just the kind of reassurance you need that all is well on your check out ride before heading out on a 2500 mile trip.  :rotflmao:

My new 2012 with 3,000 miles did this the other day.

I think it's safe to stay it's one of those "They all do that" things  ;)