• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Evaporative Cooling Vests

slybonesjesse

Sport Tourer
After 1600+ miles on the 4th of July weekend in 95 and 100 degree weather I am evaluating the ATGATT principle. It was a tab bit hot out. So I have ordered a cooling vest from SoundRider. - The instructions say to submerge for 1-2 mimutes and then gently remove the excess water. - SoundRider has supplemental instructions that say to let it hang for 5 minutes, to remove the excess water. And that it will last longer if you dont wring it out. So my questions are about practical usage. How do you carry it when not in use. Soundrider is pushing a drybag and not ziplocks. I am wondering if a 1 gallon zip lock works. We buy them by the case at costco. Who cares if it only goes one ride. Do you actually prep these in advance, carry it wet and put on when the day gets hot. Or stop and prep as needed when the time comes. When on the road refilling at the rest area, or assuming initial prep is on the road, how do you remove the excess water. How much is enough, IE how wet to you get then you put the thing on 2003 Concours, 53K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

The times I have used mine I did something like this... Take its dry self off the hanger and put it in a zip lock to keep it clean. When ready to ware like at lunch stop I squirt some water in the bag in the bathroom and take it back to the table while I eat. As you get ready to ride take it out of the bag and put bag somewhere it can dry or toss. Swing vest around once or twice to get the extra water out but if you know you are driving for a while then don't worry to much about it. The extra water will run somewhere and cool something. :) If you get dry either recharge at any bathroom or pull up to a station with water and soak everything you have on. I just run the hose over my helmet and shoulders and just soak it all if I am riding to next gas stop. When late in the day or a hour or so before the end of the trip just don't re soak it and let it dry some. Then at home or in the room put it on a hanger and let it dry completely. ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

Just a note to let you know, they don't help much in the south east. We usually have high humidity to go with the 95+ degree temps. If you plan to use it here, soak it in a tub of crushed ice. It'll do well for about an hour. After that, do what everyone else does, suffer. tcars John

When I leave wherever I am each morning, I completely soak mine, fold it up nicely, and slide it into a gallon ziplock. Then it's ready to use when the time is right. I had a ziplock leak inside my saddlebag once, due to a puncture from something else in the bag, so that is a point of concern, but if you use care you should be fine. I will note that I try to put it on before I start to get real hot, it'll help stabilize your core temp BEFORE it has a chance to start increasing.

In my experience it works better with other bikes other than the Connie. It relies on air passing over it, and when you are behind the Connie's BAF it is definitely not optimal. Now if you have a cut down windscreed that might make it work better. Just my $.02

When I stop at a store to rest or gas up I put in in the ice freezer with my helmet and in 15 or 20 min.its ready to go..........visor will fog but no problem.

I have had my vest for 3 years now, and have no complaints whatsoever. Ziplock bag will work no need for fancy bag. I live in Texas and any Texan will tell you summers are hot. I have used my vest in From California to Mississippi and it is the best. I ride to work in the early am but in the afternoon traffic that heat builds in in my black mesh jacket quickly. Just run it thru the water make sure it gets wet and put on. I have even used the hose to wet my mesh jacket and my vest and move on on them days the heat is unbearable. If you run across a cooler use that water or wet the vest place in the ziplock bag, throw in fridge when ready you will have the best air cond avail on the bike.

I bought a HD cooling vest (on sale). It did work in 95 to 105 Temps in NM last year but was only good for about 1 hour. Now back home in Ontario I almost never take it with me because it is a bit of a pain to carry around wet

I've had mine for two years. My style is more like the first response - get it soaked, gently release the bulk of excess water, and let the rest drip where it may as you go on down the road. I wore it almost all afternoon yesterday (95+ temps w/ high humidity) and felt reasonably comfortable most of the trip. Keeping hydrated is equally important. At the last stop before getting home, I took off the vest, strapped it to the seat behind me, and let it air dry on the last leg home. COG #8892 CDA #0309 Remember: Only Hugh can stop Florist Friars!

I was wishing for a vest yesterday. That was until I got close to Buford, GA. Then the heavens let loose and I was soaked, what a way to finish up over 500 miles from Tampa area to back home.

Well I got to try my vest for the first time today. Bought it a year ago after a trip to Idaho at my daughters on the 4th July. I recall those temps being friggin nuts and ordered the vest when I got home. Today I got an early start and it was already 85*. By mid morning, and early afternoon and hitting eastern OR and WA at 100+ temps I soaked the vest at a rest stop. Didn't bother to try and remove excess water. By the time I walked back to the bike it stopped dripping and I put it on. I think it worked pretty well. Good for about an hour as mentioned. After letting it run dry the first time around, I developed a plan where I swung in every other rest area and did a quick recharge. Suck down some water / fluids, eat a snack, give the butt a quick break, recharge the vest and on the way. Every other rest stop or so gave me about 70-80mi intervals which was about an hour at today's pace. Stop, Eat, Drink, Stretch and Soak. 2003 Concours, 62K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg