• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

EVO Active Noise Cancelling Earphones, Review

SteveJ

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074M6ZMQ4/ref=psdc_12097478011_t2_B004K09H32#

I just received these from Amazon and they work. The steady wind and low frequency buffeting noises are virtually gone but normal conversation comes through quite well. Much better than foam plugs.

Fit is good inside a JVC modular helmet with just slight inward pressure on the ear plugs, basically just enough to hold them in place a bit more securely.

I didn't try with listening to music as that is something that I just don't do, along with not using the cell phone hook up.

Mission accomplished for my quest to eliminate the wind noise from the narrow/too far forward windscreen on the Versys.

BTW, the battery is supposed to be good for 60 hours. We'll see how that works out. But for US$44, ka ching.

Cool. I have another brand and they don't work. I DO have the Bose over the ear phones and they are like the "Cone of silence." I've considered the Bose earbuds, but $300 is a little strong...

While not a cone of silence, still quite impressive. Especially at the price point.

I like those Get Smart references.

"Would you believe,".... was always my favorite, right after 99 (I was a rowdy little boy..) 

Fun show.

ron203 said:
Cool. I have another brand and they don't work. I DO have the Bose over the ear phones and they are like the "Cone of silence." I've considered the Bose earbuds, but $300 is a little strong...

I owned a set of Bose InEar Buds a few years back, and like most Bose products, I found them HIGHLY overrated and overpriced.  :-[

I do like IEM's (in ear monitors), and prefer them to Over Ear monitors for the portability and noise cancellation properties (sports / travel / etc) and currently own a very competent set of Westone W30 IEMs.
I have found that you do indeed GET what you pay for when it comes to headphones.

Truly though, the ONLY way to get real comfort and performance from headphones in a helmet, is to get a set of CUSTOM molded IEM's.  These are the kind that professional musicians, race car drivers, secret service agents, and military personnel all wear and employ, and are formed from taking a professional mold with putty of your inner ear shape, and custom-fitting the IEM to your ear.

I STILL have yet to pony-up the cash to get a set made, but I tend to have issues wearing ANYTHING inside my ear canals for extended periods of time without discomfort or pain, particularly under a helmet.

I currently have a Sena 20s with the in-helmet speakers installed, and I typically listen to these on the highest volume setting WITH earplugs while riding.  It's not loud or sonically pleasing, but I can hear it, and it works.

Thanks to the OP for posting the review.  :beerchug:

gr

gr, yer welcome.
My goal with these cheapo ear buds was to eliminate noise. The problem with anything in my ear is that low frequency noise was amplified at my ear drum. With foam or those silicone in ear plugs it was a lot louder at my ear drum when tapping my ear. With a little bit of buffeting while riding these low frequency sounds were a lot louder with the foam plugs in than without wearing them.

I was actually going to look into custom molded plugs of some sort when I stumbled in to these cheapos.

I'm sure that money talks on quality but I was not after the most pristine sound, just the active noise reduction which works remarkably well.

I did plug them into my 'puter to listen to some tunes. Sounded OK but I'm sure there are better units for music quality.

I s'pose I should see how the interface with my Android shoe phone works out.

:beerchug:

"I s'pose I should see how the interface with my Android shoe phone works out."

I'd be VERY careful about that Chief."

Steve thanks for the review.
I tried the foam ear plugs on my vulcan. They removed the engine and wind noise but left a deep pulse that was more annoying than the engine and air.
I got the wife a set of the Bose ($$) for when she flies or doing yard work, she loves them. I will have to have her try them on the bike.
Do you know if the pickup for the noise canceling is at the ear plug or on the controller? At less than $50 I may have to give them a try.
Jeff

The pick ups appear to be at the earplugs. There is a perforated cover over the outside part of them.

I’ve been using the Bose noise cancelling earbuds for years. Noise suppression is excellent. Sound quality for music is als excellent. Not cheap but worth it. I retired a couple years ago after flying for a living for 40 years the last 20 of which I used noise cancelling headsets. The noise cancelling function works and protects your hearing but like a lot of things you get what you pay for. Bose = recommended.

“ No HIGHS, no LOWS, must be Bose”

Yes, Bose bashing is pretty much the norm and valid to a point, but their noise cancelling tech is regarded to be quite good.

Where're the sound pick ups for the Bose earbuds? I've got the Bose headphones and they're excellent. I was considering getting a pair of the earbuds instead of endless windshield fitments to try to get some quiet.

In the summer, I ride with the 'shield all the way down and it's great, but with it up, things are LOUD.

I use a garmin 665 with built in XM etc and there is a wired 3.5 mm jack to plug the earbuds in from the garmin wiring harness. I’ve run the lead to between the tank and seat, plug the Bose earbuds in there and all is good. Bluetooth can be a pita but the solid wired link has worked flawlessly for me.

There’s still some wind noise. A lot depends on how you move your windshield up and down. There’s only so many DB reduction happening. To me it’s very noticeable when selecting noise cancelling on an off. I find it a much more enjoyable ride with my setup. It’s not an inexpensive setup so you really want to research if it’ll meet your needs. The Garmin 665 is out of production so you’d need to find a refurbished unit.

I have a set of the Bose NC earbuds, just haven't tried them on the bike. I'm not sure they would stay in my ears properly as I put my helmet on, it's pretty tight. I'll have give them a try. Thanks.

Mine stay in my ears just fine with my multi-Tech. Also a lot more comfortable than earplugs. Battery on the earbuds lasts 12+ hours so it’s good for all day.