• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Excessive Play in Windscreen

elektradw

Moped
So, I have had this problem with my motorcycle that has bugged me for weeks. My windshield and dashboard have been flopping around, especially when I go over bumps. Im thinkin this ain't right, and I don't remember this happening before. So I stopped by both Las Vegas Kawasaki dealership's service departments and showed it to the techs. They all said nothing wrong, just your oversized windshield is a bit too top heavy. Ok, that's a bunch of bull... and exactly why I do all my own service work. I know this isn't right and they just don't have a clue.

The past week I have taken the windshield off several times and removed the front panel to have a look inside to see what might be loose. All seemed ok. All the bolts are tight. What could it be? The parts department at the  the Kawasaki  dealership  was not even showing any replaceable bushings that might have worn out. The dash instrumentation, electric windshield motor, cables, arms and brace are all one unit. It is stabilized on the front side by bolting to the fairing. How it is stabilized on the back side I don't have a clue because you can't see it.

So last night Im getting really frustrated and Im looking down below the handle bars where the back side should bolt to something. However, I can't see anything wrong or loose. I go down to Ride Now, where I bought my Concours, to look at a new one. Maybe there is something I missed. Well there was. The back side of this rather heavy unit does, in fact, bolt directly to the frame. I can easily see the two bolts on a new one. Have the bolts on my bike loosened and vibrated off? Check with parts dept and of course they don't have the replacement bolts, but I did get the description 8mm X 53mm standard thread pitch.

Ok, stop at Ace Hardware and pick up two stainless bolts, nuts, washers and lock washers and head home. Sure enough, now it was so obvious that the bolts, 8mm is pretty stout, had worked loose and fallen off and were missing from where it mounts to the frame just forward and below the triple tree. The microfish did not show lock washers, just cap nuts, but I thought them appropriate, along with some locktite. A little tricky to get the bolts in, had to wiggle the dash unit so the holes would line up, and very difficult to get a wrench down in there to tighten things up, but it was eventually doable.

Took it out for a test ride and perfectomundo. All the slop was gone, the windshield was tight even going over bumps, just like when brand new.

Just goes to show you that the service mechanics aren't all that bright. With a little know how and skill you can figure it out and fix most things yourself. I don't know what would have happened eventually, but Im guessing it would not be good, as something would have cracked or broken. My 2011 just passed 50K so I will blame it on time and vibration.

Friend, You and me have got to hook up. I'm about ready to carry a picket sign in front of these dealers here. Heading down to Carter tomorrow for a weepy fork seal. Expect them to have the bike for 3 weeks and still screw it up. I know I know. Do your own work. And I agree. But why pay for a warranty then?

Mark,
Just move over this way. You'll be closer to the upcoming national and there are some great service dealers you can get to.  And we have a couple decent areas to ride  too!
Matt

mattchewn said:
Mark,
Just move over this way. You'll be closer to the upcoming national and there are some great service dealers you can get to.  And we have a couple decent areas to ride  too!
Matt
It's that whole work paycheck thang.

I have always felt that my windscreen was a bit loose also but kinda figured it was just the design. Your post got me to looking and this is what I found! :-\

I assume these are the bolts you were talking about. One of mine is missing and the other is barely holding on!

Thanks for posting Elektra! This was a great help!

It's that whole work paycheck thang.
[/quote]
Mark,
You're in luck, I checked and we have those paycheck thingies over here too! From what I have found out you can even do some paperwork and get one for free for as many years as you like. Obama said so! So come and get yours and get the connie fixed!
Matt

Cougr67 said:
I have always felt that my windscreen was a bit loose also but kinda figured it was just the design. Your post got me to looking and this is what I found! :-\

I assume these are the bolts you were talking about. One of mine is missing and the other is barely holding on!

Thanks for posting Elektra! This was a great help!
Cougr67....did you have to remove anything to get to that area in your pic?

Irishal;
nope, leave the handle bars straight and look down below the triple tree from the left side. Those bolts are orientated side to side. 

I checked these on my 09 with 22000 miles. I found the top bolt a bit loose, and the bottom nut was missing with the bolt backed out about 2 inches. I installed a new nut nd all is well. Thanks for the tip.

I forgot to mention that I had installed the MRA Vario windscreen and tested it going down to Deals Gap in July. This shield works great in reducing buffeting and allows you to enjoy full wind blast when it's hot out.

I went thru this same deal a few years ago... looked at the whole assembly and never found nothing worn or faulty so after looking around I found the same missing bolt
and loose top bolt just like the OP. new bolt and a generous dose of blue loctite for both mount bolts and the issue was cured.

Many of us, it appears, have experienced this issue. Some have not discovered this yet but may be living with the symptoms. I barely noticed it enough to take action only after months of riding with the windscreen flopping around. That they used cap nuts instead of lock washers is the faulty design. Coincidentally my bottom bolt was gone, and the top bolt was loose and backed way out. The only thing preventing the top bolt from falling out completely was the brake line. They changed the specs on the bolts due to this issue from 50mm to 53mm M8. It appears that the bolt was not extending inside the cap nut deep enough to self tighten. If every owner checked their bike for this issue I would expect there would be many more surprises. Should be a recall item.

I know this post is old, but thank god i found it.  It seems that I can be added to the list of missing these bolts. 
When I first test rode the bike I noticed the shield and part of the nose seemed a bit lose over bumps.  I was assured by the owner that the dealer had just gone through the bike and didn't find anything that wrong.  Well, I was searching this forum for this specific problem and came across this thread.  After checking the bike I am missing both bottom bolts and the top left was lose.  Needless to say I order replacements.  I couldn't find 53mm M8 so I opted for the 50mm M8 but will be using Loctite on the bolts and check them every other oil change until I'm comfortable they wont move again.

Thanks for this forum & this post  :great:

louspag

JC,
They are on the front of the frame at the steering head. They attach the fairing stay to the front of the steering stem. Look in the front below your ignition switch assembly tucked in between the brake lines.
Matt

mattchewn said:
They are on the front of the frame at the steering head
Thanks Matt. That's probably where I was looking at from under the bike... but there's a plastic cover and can't see anything other than the 2 brake lines coming out of there. Will have to remove the horn, and then that plastic cover. Does your bike have that too? Want to make sure that's the right place before removing anything in vain. Thanks a lot again for your great help :great:.

JC, you don't have to remove anything.  Look from the top down on both sides.  Start at the ignition and look downward.  You will see them. Put a wrench on them to see if any are loose, replace any missing and use Loctite.

louspag

LouSpag said:
JC, you don't have to remove anything.  Look from the top down on both sides.
Got it Lou; thanks a lot. I actually checked the nuts on the other side, and seem tight (couldn't apply much torque, but are not loose). Kawasaki should have used locking nuts there. My screen has some play, but must be normal. When I remove it to replace it with the CopperDawg, will check things better. Thank you again.

i really have to ask why you would have to remove, and replace, a seemingly far superior OEM screen to what has been installed for the first 8 editions, with an aftermarket replacement?
and if and when you do, you will need the OEM old style plastic external runners to go along with it, as you will need to send the ones that came with yours along with the screen..if indeed the bolt pattern IS exactly the same..

some things need proving out before changing. just saying..... :-[

call me stupid if you deem so, but I just don't understand the mindset here....

feel free to put me on your ignore list here also. I'm not going anywhere soon. :beerchug:

edited, and apology to Copperdawg  :truce:

Amazing coincidence!! Thanks LouSpag ever so much for the bump... Washing the old gal night before last due to rain and noticed that the windscreen seemed a bit loose?? I didn't investigate to much cause I was trying to get done before dark. Long story short, saw this post, checked to see if this was the case and now I love this forum even more. :sign0098:  Caught it really early and addressed without issue!! What a fantastic pool of resources..  :beerchug: 

Went to garage to check.  50k on '08 and still tight.  Makes ya wonder what else gets missed in assembly.

>92,000 miles with a Cee baily's Ultra screen.  Maybe I should check those bolts one day too, you guys got me worried

MAN OF BLUES said:
i really have to ask why you would have to remove, and replace, a seemingly far superior OEM screen, with a definitely inferior aftermarket replacement?
and if and when you do, you will need the OEM old style plastic external runners to go along with it, as you will need to send the ones that came with yours along with the screen..if indeed the bolt pattern IS exactly the same..

feel free to put me on your ignore list here also. I'm not going anywhere soon. :beerchug:

Wow. I think it would be real hard to determine that without actually riding with both. But okay - thats your opinion. I'm betting my screen is still cooler and quieter with less disturbance from air than the new screen but time will tell. I know for guys that ride in hot temps, they say there is nothing else that compares. YMMV

When the 2015 appeared, I looked into the matter because I would need to know if my screen would fit the new models. I was in the process of doing this when contacted by JC. I have cross checked parts and I know the spacing of the three posts that the bolts secure to that hold the windshield on each side are the same.

I have also looked into the parts that will be needed to install a C14 Sportscreen and they are:

14091 @13.95
14091A @ 13.95
92161A @ 6.85
92172 @ 2.95
92153 @ 2.95
92200 @ 2.95
Total  43.60

In any case I also told him that if the screen did not fit I would offer a 100% refund.

Patrick

Copperdawg said:
MAN OF BLUES said:
i really have to ask why you would have to remove, and replace, a seemingly far superior OEM screen, with a definitely inferior aftermarket replacement?

Wow. I think it would be real hard to determine that without actually riding with both. But okay - thats your opinion. I'm betting my screen is still cooler and quieter with less disturbance from air than the new screen but time will tell. I know for guys that ride in hot temps, they say there is nothing else that compares. YMMV

When the 2015 appeared, I looked into the matter because I would need to know if my screen would fit the new models. I was in the process of doing this when contacted by JC. I have cross checked parts and I know the spacing of the three posts that the bolts secure to that hold the windshield on each side are the same.

I have also looked into the parts that will be needed to install a C14 Sportscreen and they are:

14091 @13.95
14091A @ 13.95
92161A @ 6.85
92172 @ 2.95
92153 @ 2.95
92200 @ 2.95
Total  43.60

In any case I also told him that if the screen did not fit I would offer a 100% refund.

Patrick

sorry Patrick, I should not have used the word "inferior", I apologize, and will change my posting... I gues it would have been better worded as "why change something that sets the new model apart from the past models, that everyone complained about, without seeing if Kaws new mod was worth it..."

:truce:

Copperdawg said:
No worries  :beerchug: :great:

I'll add that your product looks very sharp, I live in Ohio, and relish all the protection I can get from the weather... so it isn't a swap I would make, simply because of my local.
:great:

Copperdawg said:
That's customer service right there ;D; thanks a lot for that piece of mind Patrick. And yes, some folks just don't understand we like more wind (and clean one at that) than the one provided by most sport-touring and touring bikes (otherwise, might as well take the car :nananana:). And also want a tinted screen, so I was going to toss the stock windscreen no matter how good it is. By the way, I didn't get buffeting with the screen all the way down at up to 90 mph, but was still quite noisier than I'd like, even with earplugs. I want a sport-tourer with sportbike upper wind protection, and that's exactly what I'll get with the CopperDawg :great:. Thanks again for your super service Patrick.

mattchewn said:
JC,
They are on the front of the frame at the steering head. They attach the fairing stay to the front of the steering stem. Look in the front below your ignition switch assembly tucked in between the brake lines.
Matt

All ... I know this is an old post ... and the post has drifted onto windscreens  :nananana: ... but OMG ... I have been hunting my nose (and the windscreen with it) excessive play for a few weeks now. I should have known to start with the forum!

Thanks Mattchewn and LouSpag for the solution. I had lost one bolt completely and the other had no nut. on it ... so the nose was very lose. I couldn't wait to find the 8mm x 50mm replacements for my 2012 ... so (sacrilege I know) I changed over to 5/16"-18 x 2" flanged bolts and used blue Loctite ... hopefully they won't come lose now.

I included some pictures of my 2012 ...

Attachments

• Left side_Ignition at top_2016-01-04 19.23.17.jpg
    Left side_Ignition at top_2016-01-04 19.23.17.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 120
  • Left side_Missing bolt_2016-01-04 19.23.37.jpg
    Left side_Missing bolt_2016-01-04 19.23.37.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 122
  • Right side_No nut_Missing Bolt_2016-01-04 19.25.57.jpg
    Right side_No nut_Missing Bolt_2016-01-04 19.25.57.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 113
  • Right side_No nut_Missing Bolt_2016-01-04 19.26.03.jpg
    Right side_No nut_Missing Bolt_2016-01-04 19.26.03.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 113
And the final installation ... showing what it is supposed to look like ...

Note that I removed the screws from three of the brake (I think) lines to allow easier access to the bolts and nuts for tightening.

I moved the front wheel from left to right to get more space (as appropriate) when working on each side.

Thanks again guys.

Attachments

• Right side_Nuts on_Blue Loctite_2016-01-04 19.53.52.jpg
    Right side_Nuts on_Blue Loctite_2016-01-04 19.53.52.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 122
I wonder how many if checked found this? Just for the heck of it I checked and my top bolt had no nut. The only reason it hadn't fallen out was the brake line kept it there! Was this a recall notice I'd missed or something that kawi thought we didn't really need anyway? Just for the heck of it,when around another connie maybe bring this to there attention.

Hello all.

Long time Goldwing and Electra Glide rider trying my first sport tourer. I purchased my new to me 2012 Concours14 about a month ago.

Unfortunately, I am introducing myself here because I had the misfortune of laying down my new to me Concours today in a slow speed right hand turn. The forks would not turn to the right and as a result I hit the ground. After investigation, I found a lower fairing bolt, mentioned in this thread, had loosened to the point it was barely hanging in the hole. This was enough to protrude into the path of the fork and stop its motion. Upon discovering this, I did a search which brought me to this older post.

I would like to make riders aware that this bolt is capable of interfering with steering. Fortunately, you don"t rotate handlebars much at faster speed, so this happened to me at slow speed and I was not injured. My bike, however, wasn't so lucky. Hopefully, my posting this might make another take a peek before their next ride and be sure there isn't a repeat of misfortune.

Thank you all for the posts and the technical help available here on this forum. It is a great service to us all.