• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Exhaust Question about heat

peter2011c14

Bicycle
I am thinking about replacing the stock exhaust with a slip-on and was leaning towards Area P carbon.

In chatting with some other riders, someone brought up an issue of heat dispersion, whereby the carbon fiber disperses heat far more than stainless (which is why they are cool to the touch rapidly after riding).  On a bike such as the C14 with the pipe under the side bag, that heat will be radiated to the bag and contents?

Anyone have experience or comments relating to this?

Thanks,
Peter

I have a 2Bros Titanium muffler and have never had a problem with the sidebags.
They don't radiate much heat and are a good 2" from the bags so unless yer stopped for more than a few minutes (in which case just kill the motor) no worries.

I had the Area P Stainless Steel on my bike. It was much cooler than the OEM pipe at all times! Are you worried about the OEM pipes heat on the bags? But yes it would take longer than carbon fiber to cool to the touch!

Cap'n Bob said:
I had the Area P Stainless Steel on my bike. It was much cooler than the OEM pipe at all times! Are you worried about the OEM pipes heat on the bags? But yes it would take longer than carbon fiber to cool to the touch!

The OEM pipes seem to stay HOT for quite a while.  What the person discussing heat dispersion of carbon was implying, is that OEM pipes retain the heat, and less of it heats up the bag and contents, whereby, the carbon disperses it, and since heat rises, the bag and contents get hotter than with the OEM?  It sounds logical?

Bob - did you not like the Area P pipe?  I'm interested in a slip on with a nicer sound and look than OEM, but do not want a pipe that would be annoying to hear on long highway traveling.

Peter