• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Experience using older tire

bobct

My front PR4GT is worn down to the wear marks. I have a new 5 year old Avon Storm II that I received on a warranty claim that I almost forgot about. It's been stored in an attached garage,rarely below freezing still strapped in between the 2 cardboard plates, stored flat on a shelf, above a dorm style fridge that I was unaware of the effect of the fridge on ozone and tires. When removing strapping and handling looking for date code feels like it still has mold release on it.

I've read some using tires 10 years old but 5 seems to be the consensus on life span.
Anyone have experience using near end of life tires, especially Avon tyres, made in England.

I'm a typical frugal owner but have the means to get new but don't want to throw away a useable tire.

Being the risk taker that I am, I would probably run it and keep a close eye on it.  With that said, I went to Avon's website and asked them.  I'll report back as soon as they respond.

I would run it w/o worry (other than it's an Avon), but I'm not doing triple digit speeds either.
The front tire on my old GL500 was 20+ years old when I got it. Replaced the rear right away (rode it home 175 miles after buying it) as it was out of round and weather checked, but the front looked ok. Years ago before I knew better, I guess..

Attachments

• IMG_1068.JPG
    IMG_1068.JPG
    305.1 KB · Views: 104
The tires on my spare bike are at least 5+ years old.
The front happens to be a Avon Azzaro, about 2/3 worn.
Rear is a slightly worn ME 888.
I keep the bike for others to ride, and I use it occasionally for the fun of it.
So, it doesn't get much tire wear and it's a shame to throw tires away on a spare bike.
NOTE: It is covered, (not in the sun) and stored in a garage.

We used it in Arkansas recently.
No triple digits, sustained high speeds, but we pushed the tires pretty hard in the twisties.
But we did look them over periodically..
Worked fine.  {again} 

Ride safe, Ted

all these 5 year recommendations seem to come from manufacturer associations, next you'll be seeing ford-chevy say to scrap your cars and trucks after 5 years as there unsafe and could fall apart. good for corporate profits, but total BS. as with anything just inspect your tire for imperfections, if nothing found use it. funny that all our tires with any amount of useful tread regardless of age get shipped to central and south america where they are used until they are totally worn out.if they were really a hazard would the corporate lawyers allow them to be resold overseas.

Tires do age. The rubber gets harder with age. It can be checked with a hardness meter.
Unless your an aggresive rider who pushes hard in the corners you most likely won't notice.
Ozone is what make the side walls crack, I am told.
I would use the tires and use some common sense.

Well that was quick!  Here is the response from Avon:

Hi,

Thanks for your enquiry.

The British Rubber Manufacturers Association advise tyres should be used within 6 years of manufacture. The tyre should then be removed after a total of 10 years.

Avon recommend tyres should be used within 5 years of manufacture. The tyre should then be removed after a total of 7 years.

Regards

Avon Motorcycle Technical

Is it safe to use a 5 year old NOS tire that has been stored in an attached garage that rarely sees freezing temps. Tire has been sandwiched between the two pieces of cardboard that it was shipped in. This package has been laying on top of a dorm style refrigerator since it was received. Please advise.
Thanks
Paul Holman

there ya go... now, with that said, a tire that still has mold release on it, sitting sandwiched in cardboard, in a dark garage, kept at cool temps... I'd mount it and run it till it's bare... without a worry...

the biggest issue with tires sitting in a rack, at a dealership, isn't as much the Ozone, it's the effect of UV light degradation, moreso on tires mounted and inflated too.

a tire stored as yours was, is completely within the realms of 'fine'.

many tires in the past I've bought, actually had date codes showing a 3-4 year made on date, never had one of those show any signs of cracking, or failure...

Currently, re sellers of tires seem to have gotten on board, and don't buy 'large quantities, which may sit on shelves, so you find fresher tires today, when you order on the net, than 10 years ago, makes sense, they get more requests, allowing them to rotate stock more frequently/rapidly, and all seems well..
I wouldn't buy a "new" tire off a rack at a dealership, that had a 5+ year old date code, for full price tho, unless I had an emergency repair I needed to 'get home', and even then, I would barter that price down, knowing the tire was not 'protected' during it's storage. But I'd still run it, and keep an eye on it.

Thanks for all the replies and Bud for reaching out to Avon. I'll mount it and keep on eye on it.