• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

EZ Pass question

bobct

Couldn't find a definitive section to post this but since I have a C10..... If moderator deems another section to post this, please do so.

Got my ezpass yesterday, no more putting money in an easily accessible area and stopping and taking off in the oily areas, bad, especially when the pavement gets wet.
We don't have tolls in Ct, yet, but surrounding NY and Ma do, so it will only get used for day(s) trips.

So I seek info about where you install yours, I don't want to install the Velcro on the windscreen. Maybe get black Velcro and place on speedo cluster hood.

How weather resistant are these transponders?

I'm not sure that keeping the transponder in your jacket or fairing pocket and still being able to communicate with the toll is an option, especially at the high speed tolls.

Here in Texas I have an EzTag on all my bikes.  On the C-10 I Velcro mine to the wall in the right inner fairing pocket.  Never had a problem with it registering the tolls.  I don't know anything about EzPass, but the transponders we get here are specifically for motorcycles.

Like Fred said..  the EZPass transponders are motorcycle specific so they are made to be waterproof.  I have had no problem with mine from a weather standpoint.  I did have a problem with it reading if I had it covered up (like in the "glove box" or a tail bag).  So I fashioned a mount out of a bolt, a nut, and a flat piece of metal.  I then used the Velcro that comes with the transponder to fasten it to the plate.

I use the unused mirror well on the handlebar and only have it mounted when I know I'm going to need the Pass.  At the end of the ride, I simply unscrew the whole assembly and keep it in the house until the next time I need it.

Ignore the text in the photo; I posted it in a previous thread when discussing Larry Buck ZG Bars. 

I used the 'velcro' (actually 3M Dual-Lock) on my windshield.  Had a Cee Bailey's at the time, and attached it below the vent.  Wasn't really in my field of view.  Now that I have a Rifle, I have it attached similarly to the inside of the Rifle base.

Should work on the instrument panel hood, but no guarantees.  There's nothing in that hood that should interfere with it. But for some reason the transponders are sometimes finicky.  Although if you mean on top of the hood, between it and the windshield, then you should be fine.  And the transponders are sealed, so I wouldn't worry too much about the weather.  Mine's been on the bike since 06, and has weathered many storms.

I'd stick with the Dual-Lock that the transponders come with.  Regular Velcro doesn't work as well.  I believe you can get it in black.  I picked up some extra Dual-Lock on Ebay, and have used it for a few other things.  Works really well to hold things in place.

If you hit the NY Thruway from time to time, you can get a discount.  It isn't automatic, like the reduced bridge tolls, if you have a motorcycle EZPass tag, though.  You have to call the EZPass system in NY.  1-800-333-TOLL  Then you provide them with a copy of your motorcycle registration, and you get to pay 1/2 the car rate on the Thruway.  Not a huge savings, unless you're really traveling, but it doesn't hurt.

The last time I Used mine, I have 1 for car and bike, I had a lanyard around my neck with pass hanging. When goin thru tolls just unzipped my jacket. No problems

Thanks for the replies and good ideas. Since I will only use it on occasion I think I will fab up a plate for the unused mirror mount like Solomookie. Good to know about the lanyard in the short term if needed.
Thanks again.

flyboy3107 said:
The last time I Used mine, I have 1 for car and bike, I had a lanyard around my neck with pass hanging. When goin thru tolls just unzipped my jacket. No problems

Just a word of caution if you are using one tag for both vehicles.

I don't know what the policy of EZPass is, but with our EZTag here in Texas, you have to have a transmitter for each vehicle.  If you get caught using one for multipal vehicles, then that is a violation with a fine.  Don't ask me how I know that.  :'(

I know several folks that use one for both their vehicle and bike, but when running through a toll gate and it doesn't read the transmitter, when they run the plate and find that the vehicle is not registered with them, they send a violation notice with fine.

I don't know about the Northeast, but here the transmitters are free, so there is no additional cost to having one on each vehicle you own.  They are all linked to one account, so the toll fees comes out of one pot.

Additional Note:  I stated the transmitters are free for each vehicle, but now I seem to recall that there is a one time setup fee.  I think it is something like $10.00

fred-houston said:
flyboy3107 said:

Just a word of caution if you are using one tag for both vehicles.

I don't know what the policy of EZPass is, but with our EZTag here in Texas, you have to have a transmitter for each vehicle.  If you get caught using one for multipal vehicles, then that is a violation with a fine.  Don't ask me how I know that.  :'(

I know several folks that use one for both their vehicle and bike, but when running through a toll gate and it doesn't read the transmitter, when they run the plate and find that the vehicle is not registered with them, they send a violation notice with fine.

I don't know about the Northeast, but here the transmitters are free, so there is no additional cost to having one on each vehicle you own.  They are all linked to one account, so the toll fees comes out of one pot.
We can go to a webpage for EZPass and register plates. I had an issue once where it did not recognize pass, they sent a bill, I just sent them pass info and they took care of it.

We have SunPass and EZpass here in Florida. I have one of those Transponders that are water proof.
I dont use it- EVER. I just register all my bikes (4) and cars on their website  and let them take a picture of my tag and it goes right on my account. No extra charges, no intervention on my part  and they send me free batteries too.

In MA you have to list all the vehicles that may use it. Theoretically you can have one transponder and use it in all your vehicles. I will have to look up on how they handle the no transponder read and photo thing. I thought I recall on the MA tolls there was an administrative fee added for photo and mailing.
I didn't see FL or TX on the map as a participating state for MA one. Only as far south as NC and west to IL.

I can corroborate what Outback Jon said:  "Although if you mean on top of the hood, between it and the windshield, then you should be fine."  That's where the P.O. of my 2006 C-10 had left the 3M dual lock 'velcro' supplied with the transponder.  I've not had an issue with it mounted there. 

The transponder is not read if it is in the outside breast pocket of my Fieldsheer Aquatour jacket.

Though I live in VA, I've got a Delaware EZ pass and they allow you to register multiple vehicles (my car, my Connie and my KLR) for use with a single transponder.  Beware in VA - they will charge you extra for the 'privilege' of taking a photo of your plate and sending you a bill.

Bob

If you get the EZ-Pass from the NY authority, they issue "M" marked transponder that should only be used on motorcycles as they get discounted rates at some tolls. I'm not sure if this regulation is still in effect, but the EZ-Pass transponders had to be mounted in a visible location.

The 3M Dual-Lock that comes with the transponder loses some of its holding strength when the transponder is removed and reinstalled several times. One time my transponder was jarred loose from the 3M Dual-Lock when I hit a significant bump.  Since that time I keep the transponder in the Tank Bag Map Window, although the handle bar mounts (inclusing the commercially purchased ones) look like another good option.

Seems Ontario's 407 thieves may have it figured out better... they don'y have weather proof transponders for motorcycles here but what they do is say have one for your car and link it by the motorcycle plate so it does not have to be carried on the bike. 
The 407 does not have toll booths, it uses transponders or pictures of your plate for billing.  The transponder does not give a discount but rather saves the $5+ monthly fee to process your bill which includes getting your info from the MOT.
Yup, its the only company that I know that charge you a fee to send you a bill.... even if its a a e-bill!  thieves!

I have only taken the 407 once and I don't have a transponder.... got a $25+ bill a few weeks later for aprox 30 mile trip.

Derek said:
Seems Ontario's 407 thieves may have it figured out better... they don'y have weather proof transponders for motorcycles here but what they do is say have one for your car and link it by the motorcycle plate so it does not have to be carried on the bike. 
The 407 does not have toll booths, it uses transponders or pictures of your plate for billing.  The transponder does not give a discount but rather saves the $5+ monthly fee to process your bill which includes getting your info from the MOT.
Yup, its the only company that I know that charge you a fee to send you a bill.... even if its a a e-bill!  thieves!

I have only taken the 407 once and I don't have a transponder.... got a $25+ bill a few weeks later for aprox 30 mile trip.

Canadian Steve got a nasty surprise from those 407 thieves. Maybe the thing to do is have the licence tag "accidentally" obscured while using that road.

Florida does add on a "convenience" fee if you use a tollway with toll by tag and you do not have an account. They also give a discount if you use the EZ pass, at least if it's a Flowriduh account. And I do like Daytona Mike does, I don't carry. I've seen the pics on their website of me going through, excellent resolution, day or night.

problem with obscuring the plate if you live near and do it often is they have huge file of un-readable plates.... the police sometimes watch for this and if they catch you they try to match your plate with this file.  there was a story in the paper a few years ago of a truck that modified the transponder to not work as he got on and off the highway but worked off pulled over by police.  They matched some mark or number on the truck..... he had been doing this for years and got a $10,000 bill full of back fee's, interest and penalties.  OUCH.

Convience fee is one thing.... 407 does charge that but they also charge a "billing or processing fee" to send you a bill... think the 2 combined are $5-6 per monthly bill if you don't have a rental transponder

I have mine mounted on the back of my rifle windshield lower , just above the stock dash.  Sort of hidden from sticky fingers .  The motorcycle specific ez pass is allegedly water resistant. Been there for over a year now and no issues going through the booth.
  My brother in law has his mounted inside his saddle bag on his Harley and he has no issues either .

Brian

I keep mine in my left breast jacket pocket = correct side fwd., correct side up = never has failed me.

Josh

I've used mine in the front pocket of the tank bag. Has worked very well every time.
Jorge

NJ EZ Pass allows multi vehicle use on one transponder, provided that all vehicles are listed within your account. My favorite - full speed 65 MPH toll plazas. Living large. I've seen them in NY, NJ, and ME.

There are transponders made for weather proof use.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=license+plate+ez+pass&view=detailv2&&id=D8922C121EC73C0A46B0C275585000E22F0EC282&selectedIndex=17&ccid=B%2f7vrwJ2&simid=608023810487750624&thid=JN.9CYqf1w%2bWxQLLKJl2pBh4Q&ajaxhist=0

Years ago I didn't list the bike on my account, figuring to give them a dollar or three extra per year - so what? Turns out they sut down the transponder for this. Apparently it was a no no. Live and learn.

Also - if one does frequent passes in a specific jurisdiction, like commuting across the Newburgh bridge, there are often discounts available, but one has to search and seek them out, then sign up for the discount. Weird science - if the frequency of travel ends and the discount is not shut off, NJ EZ PAss charges the account for not using the discount.