• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Fairing Pocket Question/Help???

bygdawg

Bicycle
And yes...I did a search for fairing pocket before asking. I thought I read somewhere that you could alter the fairing pocket so that you could open it while the bike was running or under way, does anyone know how I go about doing that?

I was reading the owner manual last week and there is something in there about that. I don't have it handy but it seems you can only open when the key is in the on position. Not FSS or off. I don't think it's possible to open while moving but I may be wrong.

You can only open it when moving if your speed is below 20mph.

There are several ways to defeat it, it just depends on how you want to attack it.  From the mechanical side, it's pretty easy to defeat. Just remove the panel that has the pocket on it and take the cover off the side of the pocket that goes over the solenoid. Then take a look at how the mechanism works and you'll see it's pretty easy to defeat it permanently.

The other method would involve adding a switch and some wires to electrically actuate the solenoid when you wanted so you could open it. The only thing you have to be careful of with this method is that you don't leave the solenoid with power to it when the bike is shut off, or you'll drain your battery. So for this reason, I prefer the mechanical solution.

You can also make a mechanical bypass by making a hole in the bottom of the cover that goes over the solenoid so that you can insert a bolt into the hole and use it to manually activate the solenoid by pushing up on the bolt, which will hit the bottom of the plunger on the solenoid and force it up. This will allow you to reach down and push on the bolt when the key is off and manually force the solenoid to unlock the latch. It won't help you when you are moving, but it will at least give you way to get into the pocket if you don't have your keys with you.

There are probably some other clever ways you could modify it too. Its a bit hard to describe without photos, but the latch is pretty simple in design, and if you take it apart, I think you'll see it is pretty easy to defeat it if you want to.

I just went out and took mine off and took some photos. Go look at this gallery, I think it might give you some ideas.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/gloveboxlatch

I believe you can simply remove the solenoid and the two screws that hold in the plastic lock mechanism above it and then just remove it, and your box will now never lock again.

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

wow...
after seeing that, I'm sure glad I bought an 08.....
I'd rather do without a box than have to fix a Rube Goldburg design like that one when it fails...heheheheheheh, people actually complain about keypass....after seeing that, I think we have a new winner for "K.I.S.S." of a simple locking latch. :))