• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Farewell, Harley!

coffee_brake

Let it be known that I loved my Harley Dyna Superglide Sport and it handled wonderfully. I learned how to be a proficient rider on that bike, scraped my first peg on it, learned to wrench on my own with it, darn near starved to finish my first payment book on it within a year, won a closed course dodge-the-cones competition with it. Swore I'd never let it go. I'm not bashing Harley. But I traded my beautiful, noisy, unreliable, oil-leaking, signal-bulb-eating, vibrating, expensive Harley, title for title, on the bike that took my breath away when test-rode it years ago:
DSCN4406-1.jpg
Hmmm...another iconic bike that just went out of production after 20 years and was immediately brought back in a new model....I sense a trend here. This is an '01, fairly stock, carbon fiber finish. I'm beyond happy with it. I'd gladly own another Harley one day, maybe a worked Sportster, but this light narrow thing is definately doing it for me now!

Keep your license, registration and proof on insurance handy ;p. It's WAAAAAAY easy to twist that right grip just a bit to far; then it's "No officer, I really don't know how fast I was going. Was I speeding?" Good luck with Mad Max. What's the lastest with your valve train on the Connie?

Kawasaki sent me a reply letter saying to take it up with the dealership. The dealership won't respond to my emails with the pictures, when I call they just say "bring it in"-- more time off work, trucking a torn-down bike to the dealership 45 minutes away. I don't want them touching the bike again, especially now that I've made a stink with Kawasaki. I'd rather hunt used cams than let them touch it. Meanwhile, there have been lots of holiday organized rides around here and I'm letting lots of people in the area know what happened to my Concours at Aiken Motorcycle Sales and Service. There's a teeny-tiny chance I can try to work with a closer dealership but I sure don't have my hopes up. I haven't given up but I think I will have to eat this one. Surely within a couple years' time or so I can dig up some decent used cams to send off for proper hardening...but I shouldn't have to. Oh well, the rest of the bike has performed flawlessly, I still love it.

I had a v max also, briefly. what a monderful engine stuffed into a horrible handling chassis. Hope you can get it ironed out, it would be a blast to enjoy the power in something other than a straight line. Steve Shleper of the 7th gear unit and performance exhaust cam sprockets. My bike - "SHOODABEN" - 1109cc's of what an 04 concours "shoodaben"!

Yep, it's kinda scary leaned over. That's what I have the Connie for! There's something about clenching up around a corner, wibble-wobbling the whole time, steering head stuttering and chasis swaying, and when you finally get it straight again you're like, "Whoohoo! I'm still alive! Let's do it again!!!" Disclaimer: I have no small children depending on me and the full approval of my spouse to ride such a bike in such a manner. Your results may vary.

One of the guys I frequently ride with has a Mr. MAX. It's the 1st yera it was made (1985?) has aftermarket exhaust and jet kit.. best run at drag strip so far= 10.27 @131 mph.But it handles about like my 1975 H2 (read as SCARY)