• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Favorite Restaurant in Yreka, CA

charlie gary

"Special" Assistant to the NWAD
Do you have one?  We're going to be having a joint NW/SW Regional in Yreka, CA, in September.  We need to figure out where to eat Saturday night, and so here I am asking if anybody has a recommendation.  What's tasty in Yreka that can hold about 40 people?

The only place I eat there is Grandmas, but I don't think it would be right for your group! Breakfast, yes. Don't blink or you may pass right through the town.

gsun said:
The only place I eat there is Grandmas, but I don't think it would be right for your group! Breakfast, yes. Don't blink or you may pass right through the town.

#1 for Grandmas. Its right on I-5.  >:D

Yreka? Why? How about down the road in Weaverville? (hwy 3 and 299) There's the Weaverville Victorian Hotel at the east end of town that can handle a large group, the Red Hill Motel and Cabins at the west end of town which is a great place for 30 or 40 people (we could even do our own bbq there). It's the jumping off point for the best riding. We've held the SW rally there several times, along with a NW/SW Joust. Great place, much better than Yreka. There's even a 100 year old bar that has music and room for a large dinner group. Last time we were there the back room was ladies only for a "male review." That was a ton of fun!  ;)

The big question is... when in September? Hunting season starts then and rooms can be hard to find. Plus you need to watch out for the rednecks in their pickups on roads like Sawyers Bar and Cecilville (great technical roads)

Let me rephrase...  Yreka is a place you pass through, you don't hold a rally there. I mean it has a Walmart Supercenter. 'nough said.

Weaverville is a destination with history. And a great bar.  ;D

NW has really taken the lead on this and thank you. Need more help and input from the SW here. Let me get this National behind us and I'm in. Thanks Charlie and the NW group.  :great: :beerchug:

Boy, I can't remember the last time I ate anything in Yreka.  Couldn't we just have it in Weed for the grins of it? :-D

I like the Weaverville suggestions.  Lots of great roads out and around there.  Or a hair north puts you in Ashland.  Plenty of nice and overpriced options there... Dunno.

JPavlis_CA said:
Yreka? Why? How about down the road in Weaverville? (hwy 3 and 299) There's the Weaverville Victorian Hotel at the east end of town that can handle a large group, the Red Hill Motel and Cabins at the west end of town which is a great place for 30 or 40 people (we could even do our own bbq there). It's the jumping off point for the best riding. We've held the SW rally there several times, along with a NW/SW Joust. Great place, much better than Yreka. There's even a 100 year old bar that has music and room for a large dinner group. Last time we were there the back room was ladies only for a "male review." That was a ton of fun!  ;)

The big question is... when in September? Hunting season starts then and rooms can be hard to find. Plus you need to watch out for the rednecks in their pickups on roads like Sawyers Bar and Cecilville (great technical roads)

Let me rephrase...  Yreka is a place you pass through, you don't hold a rally there. I mean it has a Walmart Supercenter. 'nough said.

Weaverville is a destination with history. And a great bar.  ;D

Where was this opinion when I was asking for folks to help out with a rally?

Our location has been chosen, the wheels to track down lodging, camping and eats have already been put into motion.  I don't want to derail the train of progress since it's been pretty difficult to get it going.

Bummer, I'll be at the 30th Annual CBX Rally in Moro Bay, Ca. that weekend.  The Ribbon the week end before, and an Air Force reunion in Tillamook the week end after. Busy Month for me! 4th week end of Sept. is open for me though :beerchug:

:great:
Charlie:
As a 25 year resident of Yreka, State of Jefferson, We have a few good restaurants in Yreka.
From the north, off I-5, at Montague Rd. exit, two (2) Mexican restaurants [ CASA RAMOS AND PORTA VALLARDO], then just a few hundred feet west on Hwy.#3 [Main St.] is J&D's Diner [breakfast, lunch and dinner]. Going south on Main St. at Miner St., [POOR GEORGES,*** soon to open early June], Grandma's House, another Mexican place called RICO'S and then the PURPLE PLUM. [All of these are located at the central off ramp to Yreka at the Chevron station/Union 76 station]. Back on Main St. heading south past a signal light [Oberlin Rd.] and south on Main St. to Moonlit Oaks Rd., [south Yreka exit] BLACK BEAR RESTAURANT [B/L/D]  and the usual BURGER KING, newly remodeled McDONALDS, TACO BELL. Down town Yreka [MINER STREET] has a new brew pub, a Chinese restaurant, an Italian place. Motels: at north end; central and south end. GAS: at all three exits.
Lots of good riding in the area: west and south to Weaverville over Hwy.3; Hwy.96 down to Happy Camp and the coast; up Hwy.97 to McDoel and ride the forest service road (paved] around the base of Mt.Shasta with a side trip to Medicine Lake. And as mentioned, trips to Weed [good brewery stop] or Mt. Shasta or Dunsmuir [micro brewery stop] or Etna [brew pub stop]. Not that I'm a drinker, just know that these are in the area.
****SIDE NOTE**** The reason I haven't spoken up is that our home is up for sale, so don't know if we'll be around then or not. Plus keeping the house and 2.5 acres "ship shape" doesn't leave me much room for any extra time. However, if there is anything I can help with in the Yreka, Weed, Mt. Shasta area I'll do my best time permitting. My wife is also a "recovering" breast cancer patient and our calendar has been filled with doctor appointments, but I'll do what I can to help if at all possible.