• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Favourable mesh jackets?

A_C

Training Wheels
Hello everyone, What mesh jackets are you guys using? I currently have a 3/4 textile with vents, but even with the vents open and the jacket half undone its HOT. I'm debating on a 'sport' style (like a fieldsheer 'high flow' jacket) or a 3/4 length mesh (like a scorpion 'Master Mesh'). I mostly commute with the bike but I do a couple big rides in the summer. Let me know, Colin

Colin, I just got a FirstGear MeshTex Jacket from BikeBandit to replace a Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0. They both breath well and have good armor. I can attest that the Joe Rocket holds up to a through the windshield sudden unexpected dismount. Got up and dusted myself off and rode the broken bike home.

I bought an Olympia Airglide 2 and have been wearing it for about 2 months now. It's a much more substantial jacket than my Teknic Supervent and sofar I like it. Airflow and cooling is great. Armor seems pretty beefy. Can't say how it'll hold up in a get-off, and don't want to. It has Cordura on the high-probability impact areas in lieu of mesh all the way. It's got a very warm thermal/waterproof liner, I wish it had a thinner liner only for waterproofness. Sofar so good. Seems to be well-made, but the collar is a little funky in design. I wore it on a recent 2500 miler as my primary jacket and it worked very well in the hot Deep South.

I also have the first gear mesh. I like it except, If you get caught in hard rain, the waterproof liner will keep MOST of you dry. The problem is the lack of coverage in the zipper area. Big gap between the zippers for the liner. light drizzle no problem. Rider Mag. for July has an excellent write up about Summer weight jackets. worth a look if your in the market. COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

If you get caught in hard rain, the waterproof liner will keep MOST of you dry.
Thats why when I take the First Gear Mesh Tech as the only jacket ( and dont have the Kilimanjaro as backup ) I now carry the Frogg Togg as a rain jacket. I personally am a believer in stopping the elements on the outside of the jacket and not on the inside. The waterproof liner makes a nice wind break and with a sweater underneath can keep you reasonably warm if the temps cool off a little. If its only a tiny sprinkle I dont bother. If it gets to be decent rain, the Frogg Togg goes on over the top of the mesh jacket. And as I recently found out on a ride over the Rockies on Memorial weekend, all 4 layers, the Frogg Togg, FG Mesh Tech, Liner and a sweater can keep you warm and dry in 6-8 hours of ( in some places ) cold, rainy, and foggy weather over Contential Divide. -- Of course I would have much rather had the KJ, but the combo did work. 2003 Concours, 51K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

I have the Tourmaster Flex 2 with the following observations: Rain = Untested (but has an external liner for waterproof/resistance Heat = I have had a couple of 100 degree plus days and the mesh is above adequate. Behind the fairing and the large shield I'd be interested to here how others perform as well. Cold = I have ridden in temps down to 34 degrees and with both the internal and external liner in I was plenty warm. The jacket is fairly heavy when all together. With just the mesh it is comfortable to wear from the train station on a mile walk to the office. CDA #0296 -2006 Concours (current) -1996 Yamaha XJ600 (sold) -1995 Honda XR650L (sold)

Like shesmyjewel, I have the Olympia Airglide II mesh jacket. It has served me well here in Florida. Understand though that behind a fairing, in high heat and humidity, it's going to be hot! It's just a question of how hot. The Airglide doesn't have as much mesh as some of the others, but I prefer the added protection potential of the Cordura on slide areas. My $0.02. Eddie Sanford, FL 2005 Concours 1969 Triumph Bonneville AMA# 686667 COG# 7073 CDA# 0136 http://picasaweb.google.com/Eddie753

I use the TourMaster Intake jacket. It is by far the best all around jacket that I've ever owned. It's great in the hot, cold (say 40 degrees), rain and pretty much anything else that you can throw at it. I took a trip to deals gap three years ago. I was on my Mean Streak which only had a small windshield on it. I left the house when it was 38 degrees outside. Other than my legs getting cool, I was warm. In Hazelton Pa. it was getting warm. So I just used the jacket minus the liners. I was nice and cool. After lunch I rode 300 miles through Virginia in the pouring rain. I was dry and warm with just the rain/wind liner in it. Then on the way home days later. It was in the high 90's. I rode with just the mesh. I was as cool as if not cooler than no jacket. I cannot recommend this jacket enough. Everyone that I've recommended this jacket to, that bought it has sent me a thank you because it's just like I said here. Do your self a favor and buy this Jacket. You won't regret it. Bob Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak
2003375907710792664_th.jpg

Ok, how about a comfortable 75 degree's. LOL Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak

I have the First Gear Mesh Tex also and have worn it on 90+ degree days without discomfort. The liner however is not waterproof, it is a wind proof liner and works well on slightly cool days (60+). The good news is that Competition Accessories has a few left for $69.95.

I have the older Mesh Tech that I have about worn out. It didn't even come with a liner. I ware an off the shelf wind breaker or frog tog over it over it when needed. I bet that jacket has seen over 70k miles. I added CE armor over the foam crap so both are in there now. I got the extra armor from NewEnough. In normal tx weather (today 103+) I have to ware a evap. vest and that helps a lot. It really lets to much air in though and I wish I could control it better. Sometimes when over 98 degrees you do not want full balast air dehydrating you. Makes the vest dry faster then it needs to also. ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

I had the Mesh Tech as well. It was a pretty good jacket. Mine was destroyed when I made my neighbor wear it. He was a new rider and was riding in a t shirt. Good thing I gave it to him. He got run over by a truck an hour later. The front tire burned through the mesh. But for the most part it held up. He spent a lot of time in rehab with skin graphs and all. But I think that jacket helped save his life. Although it couldn't prevent the internal injuries. Needless to say that jacket is gone. But I can say that the First Gear mesh Tech was good jacket. But it's not in the same league with the Tourmaster Intake. I personally would pay the extra cost for the Intake. It is better in every way except maybe cost. Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak

Do the Mesh tex jacket's have adjustments for the arms (armor) ? I was looking at the torrent (firstgear) but the lack of adjustment made it a no go. I fit a large (shoulders and arm length) but being lanky makes the arms loose and the waist always loose. I ended up going with the Scorpion Master Mesh jacket. (in hi-viz ack!). Perfect day to test it (90'f). So far so good, quality is excellent. Gotta pick up a camel pak for it and it'll be perfect. Now I just have to get some air to the jacket (while riding). Colin.

Camelbak is a great addition. Your wings should help with the air to the jacket. I normally end up putting one arm out at a time to get some airflow. Enjoy.

+ 1 on the Tour Master Intake the story is different but the details are the same Been wearing mine for over two years commuting almost every day from March to Nov. From 32F to over 100, and in the rain. It has handled it all. Although when its down in t

I love my Joe Rocket (textile) Alter Ego Jacket. Almost the whole thing becomes just mesh and pads (Cool & Comfortable), but it has a shell for colder days and a waterproof liner for the rainy days. I can't remember how the liner did in the rain. I'll have to get back to you. it also comes with a nifty little backpack that is stealthly held between the shell and mesh layers. So when you aren't using your layers you can stuff them in the back pack.I've used it many times to store small unexpected items along the way. The only downside to it is that after the rain subsides your jacket is wet. :p Although the no longer make my exact jacket, I'd recommend it to anyone. Grizzly

I picked up my new Intake Air Series 2 jacket in hi-vis. Wow! I could see while it was still in the box. With the liners out I have the adjusters on the sleeves to the snuggest snap all the way loose liners in. A great jacket, plenty of pockets, and for short trips off the bike it's cool enough not to have to take it off here in San Diego. Update: I rode home from the mountains at 40 degrees with the liners in it was a little cold but not to bad (60 mile ride) a zip in collar would be nice as my neck did get cold. Still would not trade it.

I have a white Tour Master Cortech that I have used for several years. Works pretty good even when riding in 100 degree weather, but when stopped . . . . I bought white because I figured I would be riding in the desert a lot and white would be cooler than any other color.

I also have a Olympia Airglide 2 and love it. The first ride told me I made the right choice. Did I mention that ride was 966 miles in 36 hrs? I started out in the low 60's and dry, to the sunny 80's, and ended the trip in the rain and 60's again and the jacket performed great. Not too hot in the sun and it kept me plenty warm in the cooler weather. I took the liner out before I left home, and never felt the need for it. The rain I was in was on the interstate, and probably somewhat due to the Connies fairing, I never got a drop of rain on me thru the jacket. I strongly recommend this jacket. Doug

Colin, I have a Teknic jacket with vents, but it is hot when the temperatures get into the eighties. My Joe Rocket mesh jacket is comfortable into the low nineties with a long sleve cotton shirt underneath the jacket.

+1 on the TourMaster Intake jacket Been very happy with mine, the armor is solid, and it has more pockets than I have had hot dinners. The fact it can be worn with or without the waterproof liner and/or the thermal liner makes it very versatile Coli

+1 on the tourmaster intake. i had the unfortunate opportunity to check out it's protection this summer. low sided somewhere around 30mph, slid on some rough pavement for about 30 to 40 feet. i didn't have a scratch, oh wait i had one teeny tiny little sp

I agree on the intake being a great jacket - tonight low 50's on the way home and stayed nice and warm with all the liners in - on the hot days everything is out and you get nice air-flow.

I have a black tourmaster intake and wear it more often than any other jacket. It is versatile and practical although I tend to carry a fleece jacket to wear underneath at times rather than mess with all the snaps and fasteners.

I've had Joe Rocket mesh gear for years and found both the jacket and pants to be very workable. We usually take a week ride in Sept., and have encountered everything from snow in the Rockies, to 120 degrees in Death Valley. With different combinations of the mesh, liners, rain suit, and other things I have been able to leave my heavier stuff at home. After 6 seasons of riding, the black is fading a bit, but the gear itself shows no wear. To clean, throw 'em in the washer. In the desert I soon learned it was cooler and more comfortable to ride with mesh than with just a t-shirt. My buddies have tour tech and seem to like it as well. Until it gets below about 55, mesh is the way to go. Ride safe... Dave

I also have the Tourmaster Flex 2 and add the following: Rain = The external liner is VERY WATERPROOF. Only concern is one has to remember to flip the weatherstop on the top zipper (at the neck) to be sure it covers the zipper. And the jacket breathes well enough, too, especially if you lower the front side panel zippers a notch or two. Heat = The mesh is above adequate. AGREED Cold = YES. Up to now, my winter riding was on a cruiser (no fairing) and the jacket with the thermal liner held up really well under those conditions in colder weather. Be sure to use gauntlet gloves, though. And YES, the jacket is fairly heavy when all together. COG #8892 CDA #0309 So glad this Vol can tour!

I agree. I have the Tourmaster Intake also (in HiViz) and have used it the heat, rain, and cold. It is a great jacket and I highly recommend it.