• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Feb 2012 Cycle World Article with Ben Spies

Cap'n Bob

My February 2013 issue of Cycle World came yesterday. Flipping though I came across a nice article "Straight Talk" on pages 66-70. It was a pretty decent interview with Ben Spies reflecting mostly on that disastrous last year in MotoGP. Although it does cover a little on the past and the future. It seems like a pretty decent read.

I read that, and found it kind of interesting.

I'm new to the world of MotoGP (and bike racing in general), so I've been trying to bone up on some of the players.

I've made plans to attend my first true race in June -- AMA Superbike at Road America.

I saw it the other day too, and it was interesting. You don't see things like that often in print. I used to follow racing in the 80's, Roberts, Lawson, Shobert, Spencer,Mamola,Rainey,Schwantz, and I know they need to inject new and different things and styles into the mix to sell tickets and bikes but it just doesn't interest me like it used to anymore.

I saw it the other day too, and it was interesting. You don't see things like that often in print. I used to follow racing in the 80's, Roberts, Lawson, Shobert, Spencer,Mamola,Rainey,Schwantz, and I know they need to inject new and different things and styles into the mix to sell tickets and bikes but it just doesn't interest me like it used to anymore

I feel kinda the same way.  I remember when Laguna Seca before "corporate" took it over.  You used to be able to camp on the hill for free and the view from there was killer.  Now buildings are in the way, in fact everywhere, and its a big mess.  Heck now it takes most of the afternoon and into the evening to get back into town once the action is over.  I do however like the longer track from 1.9 to 2.3 miles though. 

Very interesting article and perspective from Spies into what goes on behind the scenes at MotoGP.  I enjoyed it.