• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Feeding The Addiction/InCOGnito II

colinp386

Well folks the next project bike arrives next week. A nice shinny 2000 with 9K on the clock and one or two bent rods. It's coming over from NJ and arriving next week while I'm at the National. I already have some nice Carillo Rods and some ZRX11 Pistons for it, anyone wanting to track the progress of the project stay tuned. For those that did not follow the original InCOGnito the plan is to make a 1052cc Connie by swapping the standard rods with those from a ZX10B and the Sluggs from a ZRX11 the combination of which is the same as the standard piston height as the stock rod/piston if you add a secind base gasket. The Bore needs to be taken out by 2mm hence you get the additional 56cc's The original idea came from RK so kudos again to him for the idea. Colin Prior COG Webmaster Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764 ROK#20000617
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg

So why this combo as opposed to stock Conny inards. Is it stronger?, The extra 52 cc have to be inconsequential.

The main reason for the combo is the reduction of reciprocating mass. The Combo is about 30% lighter (especially the rods) by fitting them you remove most of the vibes. The combo does increase the power and responsiveness quite nicely as the engine is able too spin up a little quicker. Installing this combo is not for everyone as its no small thing to pull the engine apart. However if you having to tear into the engine anyway due to a bent rod, it's well worth making the effort to find the rods and make the swap. Colin Prior COG Webmaster Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764 ROK#20000617

Well 52CC is 5.22% larger in displacement. If the standard connie engine is rated at 108hp at the crank then it can account for an additional 5.6hp. I have mine running a base gasket, block has been decked .010" Cylinder head has been decked .004" My Piston to head clearance is .034" (this helps quench) My compression ratio cam out to 11.53:1. Intake LC is at 102 Exhaust LC is at 103. I am running a set of zrx1100 carbs with 120mains Stock pilots, one .020" shim under the stock zrx needle. I blended the stock head pipes to match the exhaust ports. I have tried different cam combos, carbs jetting ect. IIRC there is a reduction of around 13oz in rotating weight. Also the stock connie rings are 1mm the zrx are .7mm RK

The project starts! The bike arrived last Tuesday while I was at the National <b>Sunday 14th July - 1.5Hrs</b> Removed all the plastic to give full access, and protect it from damage. Cleaned whole bike of dirt with soap and water. Strapped onto bike lift ready to disassemble the engine. Colin Prior COG IT Director Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764 ROK#20000617

Can I come over and play?
I think you should come over and show Colin that high volecity head porting stuff... The one thing I have liked about Colin's version of the 1052cc unit is proving it works nicely with stock Connie Cams, and stock Connie carbs ( albeit they now have the SISF Jet Kit ). Its not necessary to do all the other stuff to do the 1052cc rebuild. so my question is will the high volecity head porting and 1052cc still work with the stock carbs size ( SISF Jet Kit assumed ) and stock cams? 2003 Concours, 51K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Here, now... geeks don't tear engines down, do they??? :p Seriously Colin, that's one helluva project- I'm sure Bergmen and Sefsick are wondering where that funny feeling they're getting is coming from... :eg: Have fun, looking forward to watching the progress! Steve K. '02 Concours 'Locomotive Breath' COG# 6550 AMA# 965469 'No matter where you go, there you are...'
2822107220014238429Coipiz_th.jpg
2901812650014238429UfVKJm_th.jpg

This could be me :) How do I know...? the CFO sent it to me. Guilty as charged LoL <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CmYDgncMhXw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CmYDgncMhXw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This could be me
+1 GEEKS UNITE!!! -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

colin - the added cc's are - as you know - not inconsequential. If you do consider the high velocity porting, know this 1) massively time consuming; 2) be sure to beat the daylights out of the port floor for mor bonding surface area; 3) consider finding something other than JB weld, while I haven't had any probs with mine, JB is definitely under attack from ethanol. We should have hooked up for a ride at the national, I'da let you ride my bike. It's very linear and deceptive due to the high gearing, but I don't recall anyone running away from it... Steve

<b>Wednesday June 17th 2.5 Hrs</b> Removed exhaust & headers Drained oil & coolant Removed radiator & oil cooler Removed oil pipes and coolant manifold Removed clutch cover, and tried to turn over, its locked solid :( <b>Friday 19th 1 hr</b> Rear wheel and swinging arm, & shock removed Starter & Alternator, water pump removed Engine now ready to be taken out with help from neighbor Rob if I can find him :) <b>Friday 19th 1.5 hr</b> Removed Bevel drive unit, clutch & starter chain. Lifted engine from frame and mounted in engine stand <b>Mon & Tues 22/23rd 2 hrs</b> Removed the head, barrel, & oil pan Split the halves Removed the Rods and Pistons. #1 Rod resembles a banana Colin Prior COG IT Director Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764 ROK#20000617

If you do consider the high velocity porting,
That's just not going to happen on this puppy. As the CFO is going to take this one, and she frankly would not appreciate the difference, I'll just fit the rods and pistons and call it good. I would have been interesting to ride your scoot Steve to see how it compares to mine. Perhaps we can hook up at next years National and you can try InCOGnito I, II or III :) Its not that likely I'll port the head, I just don't want to spend that much time. I figure I can have this job done in about 25 - 30 hours and that's fine by me Colin Prior COG IT Director Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764 ROK#20000617

yeah, it does take a huge amount of time to pull the engine, split it, clean everything and put it back together. Actually cheaper to buy another engine, but the swap is time consuming also. BTDT. Steve

Engine now removed from the frame ready to be disassembled. Thanks to the CFO for helping me hand it out. I removed the clutch and BDU to make it a tad lighter. Now I'm going to need to re-assemble the rear suspension, so I can wheel the frame to the basement so the bike-lift is free for the next bike which arrives next week. :) Photo's above and on Webshots Colin Prior COG IT Director Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764 ROK#20000617

So, just how many connies can you ride at one time?
Only 2 :) as the CFO is the only other family member that rides at the moment. Its a good question. This is my rationale: My purchase budget for any bike is $1,000 and any work I do on it has to be "in the money" The first pair I bought to $1,000 for the pair. I fixed them both up. The CFO has the 86 which runs very sweetly and is probably worth say $1,500 - $1,800. The 88 I sold for $1,800. I probably had about $1,200 of costs. InCOGnito (99) Cost me $1,000 and I have about $1,500 into it but that includes quite a lot of farkles including Steve's 7th gear unit heated grips etc. I imagine without the farkles its probably worth $3,200 - $4,000 as it has the 1052 engine. The 2 new bikes both have immaculate plastic and < 10,000 miles and cost me just over $1,000 incl. shipping. To rebuild them will take around 40 hrs each and less than $400 each. For sure I'll sell at least one of the older bikes (I need the space) but I may keep one Incognito as a just in case I need a spare bike. It's not that I'm looking to make money its more I hate to see bikes parted out when they can be fixed, and I like the idea of my motorsick'lin being virtually free. The time I spend working on them is for the most part relaxing and a welcome break from my day job LoL. Oh and its fun :) Colin Prior COG IT Director Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764 ROK#20000617

Colin - saving/rescuing Connies. I like that! :) Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 (2.0) 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250
2211123920053849446TvPbOP_th.jpg
6n2c6z

Picture of the bent rod posted above and on Webshots. Now I just have to figure out how to put it back together :) Colin Prior COG IT Director Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764 ROK#20000617

Wow, that is one bent rod. I remember a few years back when I asked the question if bent rods are common.. The replys were interesting to say the least. The anvil of motorcycles have a weakness?! no way... anyhoo... Colin I would look over the cases around the main bearing saddles real well for cracks/flatness..It is very unlikely it is a problem but not impossible. RK.. btw I do have a 320flex hone for the new bore size.

Hey Rob; Thanks for the advice, yes I was thinking that the forces to bend that sucker were "significant" I gave the bearing shells a quick once over and you can see that they were stressed. I'll replace them as a minimum, and take a good close look at the saddles. Action Auto Machine on Aurora (quick plug) did a great job on the rebore last time and on the honing so I suspect all will be well. I do have a flex but its for a larger bore. I plan to wait until the 2001 is stripped down so I can get both re-bores done at the same time in the hope of getting a price break. That way I can put in a single order with Ma K and Murph for all the parts. Just to show I can run a clean shop (for about 5 mins ;P ) here's a shot of the decks cleared for action for the arrival of the 2001 tomorrow. Colin Prior COG IT Director Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764 ROK#20000617

Quick update for those following the thread The Blue 2001 arrived from CA a couple of weeks ago. A HUGE thanks to Mike aka Wiseguy for his assistance in the transport. Within 3 days I had the engine out. In draining the oil, it was apparent that gas had flooded into the sump. This had the slight benefit of making the oil easy to drain and left the crank cases very clean inside. The #3 rod was horribly bent, and twisted and one of the rod nuts had been forced into the counter-balance shaft miss-shaping the nut and scoring the shaft. I will need to make sure the shaft is not bent. There was a surprising amount of wear on the Rod Journals way more than I would expect from a bike with 9,000 miles so I will replace them. They are not cheap at $13 a pop! I suspect that the bike may have been run with gas in the oil for a while. The Crankshaft Journals look to be ok, but I'll plastigauge them to be sure. The used pistons and rods that I bought have turned out to be a real mixed bag! Some of the pistons had been attacked with a Dremmil probably to balance their weight. Some had been over-stressed as the skirts were 8 thou under-size. Some of the small end journals look badly worn. The good news is I have plenty of rods to choose from, and the Carillo rods all look fine. Boy are those Carillo's sweet! I'm now waiting for Action Auto Machine to re-bore the 2 barrels, and select the 4 best rods. I'm also waiting for the new journal shells and other sundry items to arrive from Ron Ayers. As the CFO has now chosen to take the Blue 2001, I have also ordered a set of tip-over bars from Murph as the plastic is near perfect unlike her current scoot her 86. (just in case right LoL). My aim is to have both bikes running in time for the NW Regional, which gives me plenty of time. Colin Prior COG IT Director Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764 ROK#20000617

Way cool, great to hear an update. You've been busy! Glad to have helped get the '01 up here. <in my best Godfather voice> Someday, I may call on yooz to repay dis favor...

Any time Mike any Time! If anyone wants to see the inner workings of a C10 powerplant come on over! LoL There will be a slight delay before I can make any significant progress as I have to wait for the bearing shells to arrive before I re-assemble and they are weeks away, and I have a 2 week trip to darkest Mexico (Tulum) planned. Colin Prior COG IT Director Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764 ROK#20000617

I guess I'm overdue for an update. 2 weeks in Tulum Mexico on a workaction (work-vacation) have delayed progress. After a number of trials and tribulations I know have the 2001 engine mostly back together I just need to adjust the valves, install the valve cover and it can slip back in the frame ready to connect up all the accessories. The selection of used rods and slugs turned out to be a bit of a nightmare, some of the slugs were abused and out of spec. Likewise some of the rods were out of spec, and the rings were for a larger bore. After careful selection, and judicious grinding to balance the weight so that 1&2 and 2&3 rod/piston sets were the same I put it all back together after checking the piston to bore clearance, and plastigaging the rod bearings. Big thanks to Steve & RK for their advice. Word to the wise, make sure you insert a feeler gauge in to restrict the rod movement before you plastigauge. Else the twisting of the rod makes the reading way off. Here's a picture of the different rods. Note how sweet the Carillo's are. ZX10B rod is in the center, I'll take offers for the stock "custom' rod on the right if anyone wants it LoL More anon Colin Prior COG IT Director Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764 ROK#20000617

Whoohoo it runs. 1 down 1 to go! Just fired up the 2001 having got back from working on our property in Olympia. Connected up a new Battery as the original looks dead as a Dodo Put some oil in the final drive, installed the tank, seat and main fairing console, and she fired up first time with no leaks or nasty noises. I'll tidy everything up tomorrow and take her for a real run. She sounds pretty tight and smooth. CP Colin Prior COG IT Director Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764 ROK#20000617

Good job Colin, I still have a post to another parts bike if you want to keep them coming. :) ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

So the CFO's bike is all buttoned up and ready to go. Spent last week, fitting the tip over bars, installing the heated grips, and swapping over all the farkles from her 86, (Lowering link, handlebars, murph power strip etc.) All looks good. Stupid here managed to dent the tank by knocking the bike off the centerstand with her old 86 as I took that off its centerstand. Lesson learned get a bigger workshop or don't park them too close together! :( First time I dropped a Connie on the road or the garage. As I was not even on the bike at the time I don't think I qualify for a CDA. But I do qualify for "stupid of the week" and most embarrassed husband of the month. The CFO was most understanding and was glad it was me that bent her pristine new scoot and not her! The tipover bars saved and plastic damage but the dent is a real humdinger! The bike fell on my naked 2000, and the upper engine mount scored a direct hit. We are taking the scoot to Mt Shasta to run it in, so I'll have to do its first oil change on-route. Here's hoping my wrenching was good, and I tightened all the bolts etc. LoL Colin. Colin Prior COG IT Director Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764 ROK#20000617

Colin, Have seen CDAs awarded in driveways, etc, so a garage tipover should qualify. Post it and welcome to the club.

From the CDA FAQ I think it qualifies: Drop definition: 1) Less than 5 mph (aka parking lot speed). 2) Some part of the bike (besides the tires) must touch the ground OR the bike is damaged by hitting something on the way down. 3) Concours only. 4) No crashes. 5) List to be amended as needed. 6) COG members only - must have a COG # Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 (2.0) 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250
2211123920053849446TvPbOP_th.jpg
6n2c6z

Just a quick post for those following my projects. I finally got round to swapping the 7th gear unit over from my 99 to the 2000 rebuilding the rear end and buttoning everything up so I could start her up. She fired up first crank and sounds real sweet. I still have a lot of work to swap all my other farkles over but all being well I will be able to take her for a spin at the weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing how she runs with the Carillo rods, and to see if I notice any difference. Pictures to follow at some point. Given the number of farkles to swap over and the new toys to install (Cruse control) I fear that the swaps will take longer than the rebuild :) Colin Prior COG IT Director Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764 ROK#20000617

** <b>AT LAST/</b> Finally had the time these last 2 weekends to finish the job off, and take the news scoot for a ride round the block. Crappy weather (read drizzle) and a lack of the correct license plates prevented my from going more than a mile. All seems sweet at least it was after I adjusted #1 slow running screw which for some reason I had not set correctly (you just can't trust amateur mechanics!) Vibrations are non existent and she seems to pickup well. Looking forward to taking her for a proper spin once I have the title sorted out. Now I just have to tidy up the CFO's 86 and Incognito I (99) and see about selling them individually or as a His-n-Hers pair, :) Colin Prior COG IT Director Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764 ROK#20000617

Where does he find the time! AKA "2linby" That's 2-lin-by folks! Northwest Area Director COG #5539 AMA #927779 IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor 133K and counting! http://community.webshots.com/user/2linby http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BunBurner Gold Trip) http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip)