• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

FI Error Question

Motomaniac

COG Southwest Area Director
Spent the last week in Baja California...Fantastic trip, roads, scenery and people. On our last night (yesterday) my 2008 C14 displayed a FI error and my bike also on the screen said the bike is overheating. This morning the bike ran great till I hit some traffic at the border crossing and it started overheating again (No FI displayed). Once I got the bike riding in the open air it cooled off and continued to run great and fairly cool till I got near home and started heating up in traffic again. I noticed when I got the bike in the garage and hit the kill switch the fan on the bike was not running while the bike was turned on. That's unusual for my bike when running a very warm. Is there any correlation with this happening and the overheating? Anyway I will get it out on a ride tomorrow and check to see what happens. Any ideas of what's going on? Thank you.

Last edited:
Don't consider myself an expert, but I'd start at the cooling fan fuse, then check the relay, and then the cooling fan motor itself.

It's FI (Fuel Injection), not F1.

Page 3-38 of the series 1 FSM details the procedure to retrieve the fault code while FI is displayed - hold the two buttons down for more than 2 seconds. Then look up the code number in the FSM to identify the cause. Code 14 relates to water temp sender malfunction. What code(s) do you see displayed?

It's FI (Fuel Injection), not F1.

Page 3-38 of the series 1 FSM details the procedure to retrieve the fault code while FI is displayed - hold the two buttons down for more than 2 seconds. Then look up the code number in the FSM to identify the cause. Code 14 relates to water temp sender malfunction. What code(s) do you see displayed?
Yes of course you are right FI not F1. If and when it comes up again I will check for the fault code. I have not checked for codes yet. I turned the bike off and the FI has not reappeared even after putting on about 220 miles today. Thank you for your help.

There's been other discussion regarding the FI error code. If I recall correctly several members have reported this code has popped up while passing close by to cell towers and high voltage power lines. None indicated there were any problems while the bike and the code didn't reappear. Could that 'code' possibly be indicating frequency interference (FI) ....????

I think ur overheating is a seperate none related issue to the FI code....

There's been other discussion regarding the FI error code. If I recall correctly several members have reported this code has popped up while passing close by to cell towers and high voltage power lines. None indicated there were any problems while the bike and the code didn't reappear. Could that 'code' possibly be indicating frequency interference (FI) ....????

I think ur overheating is a seperate none related issue to the FI code....

There’s a particular cell tower near me, which was right beside the road and my bike would flash this error when I’d pass it. Later it stopped. I never figured out if the tower was upgraded or my bike flash fixed a Kawasaki code error. I still think maybe the tower was upgraded from 3G to 4, then 5G and maybe THAT fixed it, but it hasn’t done it in years. Maybe go ride your route again and watch it?

I believe the FI is for "Fault Indication", it could be FI (Injection) or the Fart Detector or whatever....lots of codes to sort through in the manual'

With a slight amount of background...
I've not seen controllers (at least at level the C14 has) with the ability to detect RFI and set codes indicating RFI issues.
What I have seen is that being near high field-strength sources of radio freq. energy causes strange pulses and currents in the controllers. These can cause them to "act up" and sometimes set error codes.
There was an incident where a Saturn (plastic body, plastic hood) would turn on the alternator light whenever it drove past a radio station, then light would turn off- every time.
The good news is that automotive circuits are generally supposed to withstand these issues without permanent damage, and often, with only minor operating issues to maintain safety.

Ride today went well with no overheating or FI displayed. I will keep a close eye on it.

If you haven't abrasively cleaned the battery terminals and the ground to the frame lately, it wouldn't hurt to do so.Poor grounds and battery connections can cause odd things to happen. BTDT

The occasional FI showing momentarily on the screen has never been reported on a gen 1 bike. However, it was reported very soon after the gen 2 hit the streets. It is described in the gen 2 FSM as being caused by strong electrical interference - or words to that effect.

I've had a gen 1 since they were introduced, except for 6 months in 2016 when I had a gen 2. It showed FI just once - on the very day I was riding it to the new owner's place. The following week I bought a red gen 1 cheap - it had a damaged transmission. I wanted a red as soon as I saw one on the dealer's floor a year or so after I'd bought the grey one.

This FI thing never happened on the 2008 Connie I used to own. I purchased it new in early 2008. Jump to my current 2021 Connie. FI would pop up on the display ever so often and go off almost as soon as it showed up. Nothing unusual observed in the bike's running. A few thousand miles later, it seems to have cured itself.

Russ, didn’t you change the motor on this one a while back? Did you go with another’08 or change anything else? I can’t recall exactly what you said you did.

Russ, didn’t you change the motor on this one a while back? Did you go with another’08 or change anything else? I can’t recall exactly what you said you did.
Yes I did change out the motor with a used 09 (37K) engine about 20 months ago. Everything else is the same. The bike with the second motor was/is running sooo good! I hope it turns out to be a minor issue that will get it running cooler again in traffic situations. I am also worried when the temps begin to rise as we get into Spring and Summer.