• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

final drive needed

tdbru

any of you guys have a spare, non-leaking final drive sitting in a box that you'd be willing to sell? I thought I had my final drive leaking issue resolved. Around town trips, no leaks. but that didn't really heat up the final drive like a long hard roadtrip in the summer.

Well I took off yesterday for the NW bun cooler. really looking forward to it. Made it most of the way, warm/hot day, uphill, and I was pushing it. the bike was fully loaded. I stopped for lunch and then happened to notice that the rear wheel had gear oil all over it. CRAP. a ruined BC rally. So I found a napa store, got a cresent wrench, and a quart of gear oil and limped back home, checking final drive gear oil level every 50 miles or so. usually finding quite low and gear oil on everything. fortunately i made it home, but a ruined rally.

with the o-rings replaced, I didn't expect any issues. I wonder if the final drive housing has a hairline crack that doesn't open up until it gets hot or something like that.

anyway, if any of you happen to have a spare final drive to sell, please contact me.
brianzg1k@gmail.com

otherwise I'll puruse fleabay or other web searches for a final drive.
thanks,
-tdbru

Are you sure that you're not overfilling the final drive?
If you stop and check the oil it will always appear low as a portion of the oil is suspended on the gears.

Have you checked it since arriving home and letting it set.
A Final drive that looks low at a stop will be full or overfull after setting.

after I replaced the o-rings i used a graduated cylinder and put in the shop manual's listed 220ml. was way low looking to me but in the around town and to work runs, no leaks. so I thought the problem was solved. then on the way to BC it was in the upper 90s, was going uphill the whole way, I live just few feet above sea level and Kamiah ID is up in the mountains, and I was running about 8 to 10 over the whole way. lots of hills too so was working the C10 well. The final drive, of course, was much warmer than the around town and to work runs. but still had the recommended 220mL of gear oil in it (had was the key word here). the whole rear wheel was covered in gear oil when I noticed it at lunch. the gear oil had pooled on the rim and was running off the tire onto the asphalt in the parking lot. that was with the manual listed 220mL. So I don't think I over filled the final drive. Unless the shop manual's 220mL is overfilling it, but I doubt it.
-tdbru

Justin,
I wish you'd sent this about 5 days earlier. I just finished installing a used one off of fleabay this morning. If this fleabay version doesn't hold oil either I'll reach out and give your spare a go.
thanks,
-tdbru

I've owned 3 C-10s since 1991 and just recently learned of the O-ring that allows the drive splined shaft to slide in and out while retaining gear oil. I replaced that O-ring and no more gear oil on the tire or rim. Easy to replace.

Greenie,
I did that too. It didn't work. And by the way, there's two of them. One on each end of the coupler.
-tdbru

I must have replaced the right one then because after a 250 mile ride today the tire and wheel are clean and dry.

Justin,
I wish you'd sent this about 5 days earlier. I just finished installing a used one off of fleabay this morning. If this fleabay version doesn't hold oil either I'll reach out and give your spare a go.
thanks,
-tdbru
Mine was flea bay too. I though the 7th gear unit was done by modifying the final drive. WRONG! Oh well when I asked about it someone offered me one so I’ve got one of the few. Still need to install it though

i suppose a gear engineer and machinist could likely design and build another hypoid ring and pinion that would both fit and be of a different ratio. would likely cost as much as a new '22 off the show room floor Connie, maybe more..... yep, the bevel gears were the easiest way to attack the final drive ratios

the used final drive is containing gear oil right now, on around town jaunts, just like it's predecessor did prior to the failed bun cooler run. Doesn't look like I'll have a chance to heat up the final drive until the Nationals trip. hope it doesn't leak.
-tdbru

Instead of changing gear ratio's you can install a taller tire on the stock 16" Rim.
Not a big change, but a bit lower RPM's.

Or go to a 17" rear wheel and install a taller tire to it.
Easier to find taller for the 17" as more tire sizes are available for the 17" wheel.

Ride safe, Ted