• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Final Drive Oil Seal

JHGoose

Leaking oil at the differential. Troubleshot to Oil seal that is on the gear that meshes with the gear on the wheel. Ron Ayers lists the following part numbers: 92049-1025 92049-1026 92049-1033 HELP! Which one of these bugger fits a 2002 C10? I need help guys as I am already going to be in trouble for trying to heat this thing up for seal removal/installation in Momas oven! Anyone had experience replacing this seal? I would appreciate any tips/advice/sly remarks/comments on the procedure. Thanks in advance. NOTE: I am in Germany 31 July - 14 August so if I don't immediately reply or post a thank you, please be patient as I am going to be out of email range for a couple of weeks. Will effect reparis upon my return to CONUS. Thanks Gang

Mine was leaking bad. I replaced all the seals that didn't need heating and prayed. God was good to me. One looked bad (sorry I don't remember which) but I replaced them all, I figured that they're cheep and if one was bad the others might not be far behind them (this was at about 75,000 miles). Good luck.

Thanks for the replies and if there are other comments and/or opinions I would certainly like to see them. I will be in Germany 31 July - 14 August so won't be monitoring the board. I have the Ring Gear Oil seal on order, but tend to believe that I have overfilled the final drive with oil. I had a similar problem some years ago with the 1985 Gold Wing rear drive. Will ride and monitor and post the results. Should a worse case scenario present itself and I have to change out the seal and don't get divorced using Moma's oven or worse, I will post the outcome for all to share and get a good laugh on me. Ride Safe and God Bless

I had this issue several months ago. Get the large seal and the o-ring for the ring gear carrier. The seal will come out with a seal puller and careful prying. When installing the new seal, lube the OD with assembly grease (red), use a wood block on the seal to distribute the load and tap evenly (important) to drive the seal home. No oven required. The o-ring is cheap insurance. You may find the new seal will weep a few drops the 1st few hours, then all is good. Larry Buck COG 3451,SE-AD (Retired)Concourier C-10 Tech Editor ROK,MTF,IBA,MSF-RC Buck Sport Touring-"Ride Far" www.bucksporttouring.com

Guys: As promised I am back reporting on this issue. I removed a small amount of oil from the final drive and have no more leakage around town. I am going down to Birmingham this weekend for the Ride for Kids and will put in excess of 200 miles on the bike and that should tell me for sure that it was simply a case of overfill (that is operator headspace and timing by the way) or leaking seal. I have a new seal on hand and if I have to change it out will post the perils of performing the operation. It has got to be as much fun as putting a thermostat in a 1985 Gold Wing or better! Ride Safe and God Bless