• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Final Drive Oil Spec?

fragment

Tricycle
Don't have owner or service manual yet.

What is the spec for final drive oil?

I favor RedLine hypo oil in my cars diffs (and trans - depending on synchro types).  Does anyone know if there are any brass parts in the diff?

Thanks,

Steve

API GL-5 hypoid gear oil
Viscosity: When above 5°C (41°F) SAE 90
When below 5°C (41°F) SAE 80

I use Mobil 1 full synthetic changed at every oil change

There are many choices out there within spec both dino and synthetic.  What I found was even more important than the brand was  the bottle the oil is comes in.  It should have a filler tip so you can cut the tip and squeeze the oil into the final drive without making a mess or using a funnel.  Honda, Royal Purple, Mobil 1 all come in these types of bottles, others don't.  You only need a small amount ~5-6 oz so no need to buy a drum or jug.

Noah

I saved a small empty bottle with a filler tip from a Lucas oil product that I use for gear lube. I labeled it "gear lube" and I just refill it as needed from the larger bottle. Makes gear lube changes much quicker and with no mess.

So, I'll stick with my Redline GL-5.  I also have some Redline with the High Pressure modifier, but its not compatible with brass parts due to the Sulfur compounds present.  So until I get confirmation that there is no brass in the diff, I'll stay clear of that one.

Thanks for the responses.