• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Final results of 87 C10 suspension mods.

Mercer

After modifying and sorting my 87 C10's suspension here is my setup as now stands.

Front: stock late model C10 springs, 5.5" oil level, emulator 1 turn from seated, 20w oil, no air, sag 33mm.

Rear: stock low mileage 2008 C14 shock, set to 4 clicks from softest position, stock C10 shock links lengthened by welding 4 together to make a 7&7/16 long link. I have not measured sag.

Bike: Stock rake and trail. Corbin seat height 30.5" after all said and done.

Me: I weigh 295 lbs and have only ridden alone since setup.

I am extremely satisfied with this set up.
My 87 C10 is transformed! The comfort and control is remarkably changed for the better.

My costs: Approximately $30 for low milage C14 shock. $10 for extra links. $50 in labor for weld up of links. $99 for emulators (off used bike, did not use 1.0 springs that came with them). $15 for used late model C10 fork springs. Value of all this as completed project, priceless!

All this took some time to do over several weekends. Lots of waiting, experimenting and researching. Tuning for my weight and road bed conditions negated just plug and play as others have done. Hope this info is helpful to someone!

Oh! Additionally.

One more benefit of above mods. As rear wheel now sits lower due to shock and linkage mods. Effort to lift bike on center stand is markedly decreased. Still heavy but leverage is changed to the better.

Lee if the rear is sitting lower, don’t forget to move the forks in the triple clamps to keep the bike level. Otherwise your rake is changed (increased) and steering will be a touch less responsive.

I had planned to lower triple trees/raise tubes as a result of expected consequences but have not yet. The reason is as bike used a C14 shock that was 1.25" longer and a 7/16" longer pair of links, think I came out close to stock height. Noticed seat was at a slightly flatter angle but interestingly headstock angle measured same or near to 28 degrees or so. Can not remember which side of 28 the protractor needle fell sorry to say but it was touching the line. As am liking result so far may just ride as is for winter and revisit all setting in spring. Of note unrelated to C10, I used to hate turning around in street (u-turns) until I raised tubes enough to turn within two lanes on my 93 Yamaha Virago 750. It was the best of an improvement on that one! Did not seem to hurt handling at speed either. Will be keeping such on list to check in spring. Thanks for reminder!