• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Finally fetterless (from Florida)

<--longtime-lurker; now: freshly-minted member #9625.

First, thanks for providing a rich resource on the forum. I'm prep'ing my '08 Connie (and myself) for a long-overdue, long haul from Venice, FL to upstate NY (& back), and am grateful for all of the tips, suggestions, etc. found on the forum.

Work & life circumstances have finally allowed me some real road-time with my under-used bike; the odometer reading has been a bit emabarrassing when I've taken her in for service but I'm now free to add (non-commuter) miles. Hell, I haven't even settled a good name for the girl. [purchased new in AUG '08, so I'm up for GTPP renewal next month. Florida dealers have their own pricing rules and I'm curious whether I could drop into a GA dealer and thereby pay less?]

My trip will include a waypoint at Deals Gap--my first visit--so any recommendations on that front--and touring with the Concours, for that matter--would be appreciated. It's been over a decade since my "Great Circular Tour" of the Southwest in '95 aboard a 600r ninja: 3k+ miles: soft saddlebags; no FI, no shaft-drive, no GPS, no iPod, (and no cash, really). I'm older and softer now but am equipped with a magnificent machine and an enthusiasm for the road--thanks to this forum--although I still fall short in the cash department.

I have a CeeBailey eurocut on order; a few new pieces of luggage--thanks Cap'n Bob for the CH 450 tankbag recommendation; I should have opted for the larger size but I'm a minimalist anyway--a pair of tailbags; a GoCruise; resoled boots & a new helmet. I'm basically farkle-free: I'll assess my mod-needs after some mileage and expect to refit once I get up north.

One question I'd like to pose is the use of earbuds for music. I know they're illegal in many states, Florida included, but I'm more concerned with safety. I know: (newbie Q): but I see that many members frequently ride with music. Does that hamper your ability to hear horns, sirens, etc? Also, how do you practically mount/use the iPod & buds while riding?

So, for now, hello all, and I'll look forward to participating and will try to update from the road. Any and all suggestions and sage advice will be appreciated.

Sviat

:49:

Welcome to COG!!!!!! As you already know there's good people and info on this forum.  ^-^

It sounds like it might be a great trip. (where in NY are your headed, if you don't mind my asking?) The ear buds can block out sounds depending on the volume of the music your listening to. You can never hear everything. But I try to keep it so that I can hear what I really need to hear.

Bob,
Thanks for the reply and info.
My destination is a few weeks' stay with family in Syracuse, where I grew up. I imagine that I'll undoubtedly take the oportunity to revisit some of the Finger Lakes and maybe tool through the Adirondacks for my return trip south.

Tomorrow I'll pull-out my maps and start sketching a rough route. Interstates to get out of Flantlandia here, then play it a bit by ear.
I'll see if I'm inclined to post updates here during the trip. More likely when I get to NY.

Thanks again.

Welcome also, great wealth of information available here for sure.
For the extended warranty, I understand through the web you can get it cheaper, but, I also heard some weird thing about Florida, there is no cost savings? I could be wrong.

Earbuds? They block wind noise, allowing other sounds to be heard better. With the music, I just keep it loud enough for "background" noise. You of course could have the music so loud you wont hear anything else, that would not be good.

By the way, I'm just north of you in Sarasota/Bradenton.
If you want to get together and draw some lines on a map, I've been through a few areas in Georgia, Florida, etc (spent 15 years in Georgia).

Welcome Svait,
Like Vic I use music for background noise only.  If you have songs you know well then not having volume loud is ok.  I switch between ear buds and wearing ear plugs and running speakers in my helmet.  Ear buds fall out easy but I have had good luck with using the ones that hang on your ear like stock iphone ones and padding the helmet out to where it keeps them from falling out.

Do not make a big deal out of Deals Gap.  There are so many roads more fun and less crowded in the area and all the way up through Wv why be sucked into a tourist trap.

8)
Vic & smith, both:

thanks for the replies. Scanning the maps the other day, I'm inclined to just hop onto I-75 for quick(er) exit from Florida. Vic, I'll take a suggestion for getting by Atanta while bypassing the metro and not taking me too far afield.

As for "The Dragon" etc., Deals Gap = convenient, midway-ish destination; "Bucket-list" kinda thing. Other riders have also mentioned better roads in that area, so I'm probably going to spent the night there and have a rideabout before continuing north.

Now, I've got my eyes on the Blue Ridge Pkwy and hoping to ride at least a portion; Time's not a factor but hotel expense is, so I'm trying to balance speed with leisure.

Again, thanks,
[and Vic : maybe we'll get together when I return. I confess that I almost always ride solo but my very pressence on this board must mean I'm mellowing my antisocial tendencies as I get older.  :)

Sviat,
  Welcome to the party! :welcome:  You brought the donuts, right? ;)  Since many states don't allow you to ride with things inserted into your ears, a safe bet can be to buy a cheap pair of headphones and cut the speaker housings off of the head band.  I did that, and put them inside the lining of my helmet.  Now I have a wire that hangs out and gets plugged into my mp3 player.