• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Finally got my windscreen working again!

sfsokc

I have to admit, kind of proud of myself on this one!  Mainly since I saved taking it to the dealer (saw a quote of $1000 parts/labor for this job); also saved myself from removing the entire assembly (you DON'T want to do that; the cables are a nightmare).

So... if you're like I was, your "fails once in a while, but always starts working again" power windscreen decided to just NOT work anymore.  Perhaps you hear clicking, or see the headlights dim a bit when you activate it, but it does NOT budge, even if you pull up on it.  That's the situation I had.

Here's what I did-- start by removing the windscreen, front access cover below it, and front/side top covers (the ones that include the glove box on 2010+ models).  This will give you some room to get in there.  Now, refer to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0zK9axWuzc

However, DON'T continue removing bolts willy-nilly like this guy, but STOP at the 2:30 point.  You'll notice that there's a white spool/pulley that has the control wire wrapped around it.  Carefully pull this up, just enough to disengage it from the metal gear below.  At this point, you should be able to grasp both windscreen mounts and move them up/down with your hands.  You can check to see how freely it moves, but you'll probably want to lubricate the little smaller pulleys, as well as to grease the two rails where the assembly is mounted.

Since you've now essentially disengaged the windscreen from the motor & metal gear, try actuating the switch again.  As many had previously discovered, the motor still works!!  You can now put new grease on the larger metal driven gear, as well as the smaller drive gear which is connected to the motor.  Make sure to move the windscreen mounts back down to where they were when you started, so you can push the white spool back flush into the metal driven gear, and re-attach the white cover with 3 bolts, and one nut.  Finally, reassemble everything in the reverse order of the video.

At this point, everything worked again.  Hooray!  Now if your motor is truly bad, you'll have to do more disassembly, and tackle getting everything (including those wires/pulleys) back together again.  Kudos to anyone that did that, but even the service manual cautions, "the electric windshield assembly is elaborately manufactured at the factory; if they are removed, performance will not be guaranteed."  LOL...  I just hope my motor lasts a while longer!

Steven, thanks for the write up on this. I've been in there to replace the mirror bracket which was little more involved but not too bad. If my wind screen stops working I will give your fix a try.  :great:

Thanks for the description...what do you think was the cause?
Were the gears and slides just gummed up from dust getting into the mechanism?

Sounds like a good way to find out if it's the motor or the get mechanism that's preventing the windshield from going up and down.  What is the recommended grease or lubricant to use here?

I honestly think it just got gummed up over the years with dirt accumulation, and finally decided to seize.  Others on the forum have had it freeze up temporarily, but after washing the bike, or just waiting a while, it started functioning again.  I have yet to read about anyone that had the motor fail, although I'm sure there are a few.  Other points of failure would be the 30amp fuse under the seat (easy to check), or the two blue relays under the glove box on the left side.  You can put your fingers on those and feel one of them click when you push up on the windscreen switch, and the other relay click when you push down.  Since my fuse & relays were fine, it was the motor that couldn't overcome the torque to raise the windscreen, or for whatever reason had "gone to sleep".

The existing grease between the drive and driven gears was quite thick, so I re-greased it with a heavy general purpose grease (lithium).  Beyond this internal unit with the gears, the service manual says to use silicon grease on the side rails and "olefin grease" on the center rail.