• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Finally made it to the Dragon and more......

sas mayhem

Street Cruiser
Well, I finally made it to the Tail of the Dargon last week end, and the entire 4  day trip was a blast.  My fisrt stop from  Raligh NC was an over nighter in Marion NC, about 3.5 hours away were my butt savior was Louie (aka Gpzroker) resides at.  He was kind enough to let me borrow and later purchase one of his Corbins, and now my butt is happy. I can ride alot further and much more comfortable than before, thank Louie  :You_Rock_Emoticon: .  The next day I rolled into Robinsonville which is about 20 short of the beginnig of the Dragon. Very motorcycle friendly place. That afternoon I did two rides on the Dragon and thoughly enjoyed myself.  I met up with a nice couple from out of state that was riding two up on a HD, it was there first time there too. In fact everyone I met in that whole area was very nice  The Dragon is not hard you really just have to make sure you don't ride past your limitations and stay on your side of the yellow line, and check six so you can pull over if a faster rider is on your tail.  Now once you do the Dragon there are plenty of real nice if not nicer roads out there. The http://www.cherohala.com/ skyway and NC 360 I think where more enjoyable. thats about a 5 hour loop with very light to no  traffic. When I was on the skyway about 40+ miles long I saw only 3 cars and that was at the tail end of the skyway, but be very careful, it's a 5300 ft drop, and if no one see you go over you will most likely be a fossil by the time your found.
There are some reveiws I really need to write on like a long term AVON Venom and Ultra II I have one my bike. I'll post pics soon

Cheers
Ron

And here goes some pics I took in my travels.

This is at the beginning of the Dragon. It was a mecca of all types of bikes and people from every state and country.
allsorts127.jpg

At a pull off on the Cherohala I was very humbled at the surrounding beauty
allsorts154.jpg

yet another
allsorts118.jpg

And your truly with the Tree of Shame behind me...
allsorts158.jpg

Cheers
Ron

And more pics

allsorts139.jpg

allsorts153.jpg

allsorts148.jpg

allsorts131.jpg

This a a couple I met on my travels, it was there first time on the Dragon too.... super nice people they rode the HD 

allsorts133.jpg

And more bikes......
allsorts125.jpg

Cheers
Ron

For me, the Dragon is an annual one time loop but then I spend most of the other days exploring the other really great roads in the area.  The Foothills Parkway, Cherohala Skyway, Route 28, and a bunch of back roads over to Franklin are always bigger hits than the Dragon itself.  If you pick a slow day on the Dragon, the photographers will usually be willing to tell you about other options (as long as they still can get their shots).

-David
Athens, GA

PS - Nice pictures.  Looks like you had really good weather.

ACCBiker said:
For me, the Dragon is an annual one time loop but then I spend most of the other days exploring the other really great roads in the area.  The Foothills Parkway, Cherohala Skyway, Route 28, and a bunch of back roads over to Franklin are always bigger hits than the Dragon itself.  If you pick a slow day on the Dragon, the photographers will usually be willing to tell you about other options (as long as they still can get their shots).

-David
Athens, GA

PS - Nice pictures.  Looks like you had really good weather.

So true about the other road, The Dragon will always have the fame in the area, but as you said there are a ton of no name roads around that are nicer. 

Ron,
Glad you finally made it out to the western end of our state to discover the terrific roads out there.  It's an annual trip for me and my buddies.  In all, my favorite is the cherahola.

Another suggestion for you:  Consider riding 421 north from Boone up to Shady Valley TN, then head east picking up 58.  Great roads up there too.

Glad you had a good time!

Sport Rider said:
Ron,
Glad you finally made it out to the western end of our state to discover the terrific roads out there.  It's an annual trip for me and my buddies.  In all, my favorite is the cherahola.

Another suggestion for you:  Consider riding 421 north from Boone up to Shady Valley TN, then head east picking up 58.  Great roads up there too.

Thanks for the input, I can tell 'ya. If I could find a reasonable job up there I'd move in a heartbeat....really.

Cheers
Ron

Love riding that area, I did a 1,600 mi ride from Tampa to there and back last October, Rode Cheraloa Skyway from Tennesee to 19, I avoided the dragin as it looked a bit crouded for my peacefull getaway, but I'll ride it on my return trip. Also some amazing roads in north Georga. Can't wait to do it again and explore more of the area.  ;D

Retirement is about 10 years away!  :mad:

SAS Mayhem said:
Sport Rider said:
Ron,

Thanks for the input, I can tell 'ya. If I could find a reasonable job up there I'd move in a heartbeat....really.

Cheers
Ron

Cap'n Bob said:
Retirement is about 10 years away!  :mad:

SAS Mayhem said:
Sport Rider said:
Ron,

Cheers
Ron

.....or win the lottery.  :)

Cheers
Ron

Hey Ron, Thanks for sharing the pics and story. It really is beautiful there!  I've been down there a few times and it's always great. Can't wait to do it again!

The more I look at some of your photo's Ron. The more I know I have pretty much the same type photo's from the same spots. I've been there 3 or 4 times now. And I'll be back again. Maybe I'll see you there next time. Great photo's!  :)

Wayha Wayah  Wayah road nc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg5CRAGgvCY

Crappy video but cool road.  Much better then most of the well known roads for that back woods feel.

smithr-scad said:
Wayha Wayah  Wayah road nc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg5CRAGgvCY

Crappy video but cool road.  Much better then most of the well known roads for that back woods feel.

Ooooooooooooo !!! do tell the location and what type of camera that you where using?

Sean your welcome ..
and Cap that would be great......

Cheers
Ron

I did not shoot that video.  The road is in Nc. and runs from near Frankland northwest to 79 near 129.

Heading that way in a week. I have a question about riding the Dragon and the other roads in the area. I've seen lots of video of Concours riders doing these roads and they always seem to have the side bags installed. If you're staying in the area, what's the advantage/disadvantage of riding with the boxes on vs. taking them off?

I'm going with a group of sportbike guys and just wondered about pulling by bags.

unless you're gonna ride crazy, I've not found the cases to make a difference either way.  I've scraped hard parts before with the cases on.  Plus I keep day-ride stuff in the case even when I'm riding up there local.

If you take them off, take the brackets off too.  otherwise it just looks poor.  LOL  :p

Leave them on and your friends will be impressed when you have stuff to fix their flat tire or pull a cold drink out when they have nothing of any size they can carry.

Wayah Rd is incredible!  I remember when I got to the end of it the first time I couldn't wipe the smile off my face!  It was FILLED with rhododendrons too, wanted to get back there when they bloomed but wasn't able :(

And I always ride with the bags on. I carry WAY too much stuff :)

Sport Rider said:
unless you're gonna ride crazy, I've not found the cases to make a difference either way.  I've scraped hard parts before with the cases on.  Plus I keep day-ride stuff in the case even when I'm riding up there local.

If you take them off, take the brackets off too.  otherwise it just looks poor.  LOL  :p

I ride locally with the bags off all the time, but on my 2011 you can't really take off the brackets. The rear shock preload mechanism is tied to it on the left side and my Leo Vince carbon fiber exhaust is hanging from the right side.