• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

First Mods to think about??

mnofpeace

Scooter
My Fellow COGers on C14s;

I have just taken possession of my dream bike, a beautiful, black, 09 C14.  I plan on riding it thru this season and leaving it in stock trim.  But like most motorcyclists, i am a tinkerer, and i cant stop looking over what i can spend my money on to make it my own.  I would love to have anyone chime in on what they feel are the better FIRST mods that folks have made on thier own bikes, or mods that people feel are necessary just to improve the breed.

My thoughts so far:

Bell Revolver flip-up helmet (currently in an Arai which i love)
passenger back rest
slip on pipe
Power commander
foam heat shields
Dynaplug fix a flat tool

any and all suggestions are welcome

Patrick L.
Ft. Washington, Md

Congratz on the new ride!

my first frakle was Murph's bar risers with the Ram mount ball. then i added Cee-Bailey's bag liners.
I have recently pinned my bags.
i think my next change is going to be tires ...

mnofpeace said:
i cant stop looking over what i can spend my money on to make it my own.

The first thing you should do "to make it your own" is a custom saddle to fit you and your passenger. Find a shop that can make it fit you exactly. Based on my experience, "off the shelf" from from one of the big name saddle makers are not as good as custom fit to you.

After that, any changes to the handlebars needed to work with your new riding position. Followed by a windshield. Once you have the comfort issue taken care of, then you can move onto performance and convenience mods.

Have fun.  :D

IMO, Ride it for a while and see if you even need to make changes. What works for one, doesn't necessarily work for the next guy. You may be happy with it the way it is. But after a little ride time, you may want to make changes that fit you.
Normally the first thing I can think of might be a different shield. The 08-09 shield is great full down on a hot day. But seemed to suck for any kind of protection.

mnofpeace said:
My Fellow COGers on C14s;

I have just taken possession of my dream bike, a beautiful, black, 09 C14.  I plan on riding it thru this season and leaving it in stock trim.  But like most motorcyclists, i am a tinkerer, and i cant stop looking over what i can spend my money on to make it my own.  I would love to have anyone chime in on what they feel are the better FIRST mods that folks have made on thier own bikes, or mods that people feel are necessary just to improve the breed.

My thoughts so far:

Bell Revolver flip-up helmet (currently in an Arai which i love)
passenger back rest
slip on pipe
Power commander
foam heat shields
Dynaplug fix a flat tool

any and all suggestions are welcome

Patrick L.
Ft. Washington, Md
Honestly I would drop the Power commander and go for an ECU re-flash.
I just dropped the PCIII for the dynotronics re-flash well worth the difference
along with that think about seat and wind screen.
I do hav a PCIII for sale with the Fuel Moto econ map

Congratulations on the 09.  I just bought one 8 days ago.  I've put about 500 miles on it so far.  My initial upgrades are :

• Taller Windshield - V-stream
    Rear Rack - still looking but probably a Phil's
    Front Fender extender 
    Cee Bailey headlight cover
    3M reflective tape on the rear of the saddlebags
Those are my initial upgrades.  I'm still considering handle bar risers and some form of crash protection - either sliders or bars.    I'll put a few thousand miles on it before I decide on bar risers or not. 

thanks for the suggestions guys.  LIke i said, i do plan on riding it stock for a few months before i start spending any money on changes.  the stock screen is fine so far, being that 1. i am only 5-8 and 2. my sportbike years have me very used to the wind.  and lifting the screen about 3/4 of the way up gives a wonderful pocket of air for me.  but of course i will see further as the weather changes in the fall. 

a new seat seems to be a good first step as well, but this sitting up position is also new to me, so ill know more after i put in a good 300 mile day if the seat needs replacing.  the backrest is almost a given for when my wife wants to ride 2-up.

the PC3 was just off the top of my head.  coming off so many 600s with 100hp and what seems like 2 ft-lbs of torque, this thing doesnt actually need anymore power for me.

again, thanks for the ideas.