• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

First post - Already dropped it

beaucephus

Scooter
I was following my brother back from buying the bike and we stopped at a 7-11.  The kick stand bound up, I shifted my weight to get more leverage, and over we went!  This is my second bike (First was 800 Suzuki Boulevard).  The ergonomics are going to take some time to get used to.  Having this area makes me feel better.  ::)

It sounds like you've got lots of good company on being a Connie Dropper.  I'm glad you didn't get hurt.  The bike can be fixed.  It's much harder to fix us.  Stay safe.

Hi,
      You're SECOND bike? :eek:

Be careful!

This bike is not known as the "Beast" for nothing! ;D >:D >:D >:D

Attachments

• ddffff.jpg
    ddffff.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 144
seagiant1 said:
Hi,
      You're SECOND bike? :eek:

Be careful!

This bike is not known as the "Beast" for nothing! ;D >:D >:D >:D
I know the power is there, and I'm so conservative it's going to be awhile before I go messing with it.  I've ridden lots of different bikes (UJMs, Harleys, Full Dress Metric,) but this is the second I've actually owned.  The Concours is certainly the highest performer yet.  I'm no speed demon.  Warnings understood and will be heeded. 

:welcome:

What year is your bike?

"kick stand bound up"  never really heard of that - that's why I wanted to know what year it is?

It is usually the other way around and they fold up too easy and then the bike tips over.
Most of these bikes are top heavy and it doesn't take to much of an angle before they start falling and only a superman could
stop it from going over all the way.
Watch out for inclines as they are the cause of many tip overs.

What these guys said.

Watch the slow maneuvering - the steering geometry/center of mass isn't meant for low speeds!

Murphs Tipover Bars - every Connie should have them. I no longer worry about accidental tips or kickstand drops.

It's an '06, and whatever was binding was fixed by WD-40.  It would get about half way down and stick.  Pretty embarrassing that something simple could end up in a bad day.  I'll watch out for the opposite problem now, so thanks for that!

So you thought it was down, but friction held it up.

Me personally, when parking I do two things:

Put it in first gear. Leaving it in neutral is never a good idea.
Eyes on the kickstand to make sure it's fully deployed before thinking about dismounting.

WD40 might get it loose, but it won't stay lubed, use some chain lube or something durable on it. And make sure the kickstand switch will kill the motor if you try to take off with the stand down.

I'm really glad that neither you nor Connie was hurt, and your incident does qualify you for the CDA Award except for one thing.

You need to be a full COG member.  Don't worry, we don't make you drop her again after you've joined in order to qualify!  Most folks join if they hang around a while and like what we do here, so just drop me a line after that happens and we'll add you to the roster.

Just to avoid confusion, here are the instructions: How to Convert from Forum Subscriber to Full COG Membership

And here's where to Renew

Sorry to have taken so long to reply.  The rigors of a new job have left me too exhausted to play on the computer much the past few weeks.

Full blown Cogger now.  Joined this week.  Let's hope the first drop is the last, and my story of poor side stand lubrication helps someone prevent the same. 

welcome! it's nice being a card-carrying member here :beerchug:

hey - last time I nearly dropped my bike I saved it by repostioning my body so fast - it amounted to kicking the crap out of the hard parts witht he soft part of my foot. With canyon cages on, I should have just let her go gently. Ouch!

beaucephus said:
Full blown Cogger now.  Joined this week.  Let's hope the first drop is the last, and my story of poor side stand lubrication helps someone prevent the same.

Log off, and log back on and you should see your COG number!!!  Welcome to the club!
(and sorry about the CDA...)

Welcome Beau and sorry about the drop. 
When you say 'WE' are you saying you have a passenger and both of you went over?
As an FYI I load and unload a passenger only when I am standing over the bike and holding the bike upright with a bit of a wider stance for stability .
The passenger is the last to get on and the first to get off. Center or side stands should not be involved
Just like in this video  There are many ways but that is how I find it to be the safest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7lxHxLCGjk