• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

First SS1000 attempt

croach1776

Tonto
Completed my first SS1000 last night. Started 04/29 4am and finished 04/29 11pm approx. Great experience. Connie performed flawlessly. But I will need to upgrade my clothes and planning. Went from Spring Tx to Ft Stockton and back. Got all dated and timed stamped receipts for gas, got witness forms signed but have a question, on the Start and Stop witness forms has lines titeled " For this Location" anyone know what information they are asking for. I have the Log filled out for each stop, are they asking the location of the starting and ending. Next up the BB1500. This time will plan out individual legs and will try to cross into LA and ARK and maybe OK. Day after my hands are sore, light rash in butt crack, when I took off my boots my legs above the boot top were swollen - my calves were huge, now they are back to normal. Will need to print out map and trace route with towns I stopped at - then copy everyting and send it off to IBA. I covered approx 1060+ miles by speedo and trip meter, so if I screw-up it will be paperwork, any advice from previous SS/BB riders. Thanks C K Roach Jr COG#9094 CDA# 0319 you cant lose what you never had 2005 Concour "Gold Rush" 1983 Suzuki GS750ES - Project 1983 Suzuki GL850 - Sold 1982 Suzuki GS650G - Sold

At this point send what you have and see what happens. Most advice I would have is on the Planning side. such as make your fuel stops show your route, at is longest by placing fuel stops at its corners. I believe you did 1060. But If I entered your fuel locations into Streets and Trips could it show an 800 mi path to do that same point to point route by taking a different set of roads? Only other advice is to plan out the legs like you mentioned, with a schedule. PointA - PointB 4:00am - 6:30am, PointB - PointC, 6:45am - 9:00am, etc. You have a schedule. Just stay on schedule. Too many unplanned stops can get people behind and they try to play catch up when its dark and tired. Plan 15min in there for fuel stops to stretch. Plan lunch and dinner stops. 2003 Concours, 58K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Congrats on your accomplishment! I think you will finsd the BB 1500 actually an easier ride than the SS1000. Planning is everything and critical for success. Relative to your concerns Make sure your documentation includes a verifiable start and end witness as well as all you gas/food receipts for all your "corner points". The IBA rules are clear enough. I recommend you exceed the map program mileage by 5 to 7% to eliminate any risk of missing the distance mark. Now the BBG1500 is another issue all in itself! AKA "2linby" That's 2-lin-by folks! Northwest Area Director COG #5539 AMA #927779 IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor 133K and counting! http://community.webshots.com/user/2linby http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BunBurner Gold Trip) http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip)

Congratulations Charlie. That is something I just have not found time to do. 830 mi. is my longest day and the only award I got was a bed to recover in that I had to pay for. Photos[/url]

830 miles - ouch! so close. Hopefully my route was enough for the SS1000. I am planning on attempting the BB1500 in a couple of months - will try to co-ordinatet it with a family reunion in Mississippi. Will keep you posted. Saw the post about all the rides for SC, hopefully will get to make a few. C K Roach Jr COG#9094 CDA# 0319 you cant lose what you never had 2005 Concour "Gold Rush" 1983 Suzuki GS750ES - Project 1983 Suzuki GL850 - Sold 1982 Suzuki GS650G - Sold

Nice going. I just posted my SS 1000 ride from Friday and i noticed your post. I am also already planning my 1500 mile ride as well!

Saw your post on the Fanatics site. Keep in touch as you plan your 1500 and maybe we can ride togeather part of way. I need to see how far 750+ miles will take me due north - have never been to the dakotas/montana area and would like to visit it. I think I have a cousin in Montana they might put me up on the turnaround. Again congrats on your SS. C K Roach Jr COG#9094 CDA# 0319 you cant lose what you never had 2005 Concour "Gold Rush" 1983 Suzuki GS750ES - Project 1983 Suzuki GL850 - Sold 1982 Suzuki GS650G - Sold