• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

first SS1000

texasdw

Bicycle
Guys, in approx 1-1/2 hrs (7 pm CST) I'm heading out on my first SS1000.  Didn't finish farkling my Connie to my full satisfaction but when it's time to ride - a man's gotta ride :motonoises:

Thanks.  I just got back. It is quite an endurance test, but it was fun!

As I was pulling out of the driveway I remembered that I didn't even include where I was going.  I left Houston 7:00 pm on Friday, went to Fort Stockton then came back.  Got back about an hour ago.  I'd never been out to west Texas and it was quite an experience.  Lots and lots of deer on the side of the road, and a few fresh carcasses in my path (that I thankfully avoided!).  I don't know if that's the norm out there, but it was kinda scary.  I must also say that even though I was passing through that territory mostly after dark it did look really pretty.  I'm going to have to plan a more leisurely trip sometime with the family and bring a good camera.

DW

Congrats. I'm surprised that you went the overnight route. There's a lot more unseen dangers at night. But there must have been less traffic on the road, and it must have been cooler.

Yeah, I've heard a lot of folks say to get the night-time riding out of the way early.  I think that was a good move.  I tried to stay behind semis and other vehicles through much of the deer-laden zones so that I could use them as a sort of "scout" vehicle.  I could see ahead of them in their headlights and were close enough to them that it'd been unlikely for a deer to jump between them and me.  I alwasy ride in the tire tracks, in the left side of the right hand lane (near the center of the road).  When I was alone or leading I had my brights on and wasn't going quite as fast.  And on a long ride like that the element of danger did help keep me alert - very alert!

But, again, as I said I really wasn't expecting this danger.  Just never been out there so I didn't know any better.  But it worked out.  And, yes, the west Texas heat was definitely not a problem on my schedule.

DW

Congrats DW,  You should come ride with us in the spring to Big Bend area.  There are some great twisty roads out there.

FYI there are deer all over Texas.  A lot less in big towns like Houston though.  I almost refuse to ride at night because of them.  It is even worse for the fall rut and full moons.

Yeah Bob, shoot me an email sometime. I've got a lot going on on weekends, but when I don't I'm usually on 2 wheels.  I'd be interested in meeting up sometime.

Thanks,
DW

I am busier then a cat burying a turd on a concrete floor.  You might just want to keep an eye on the SC ride section here and or the COG calendar over at www.cog-online.org
I and several others are planning the 2012 COG national Rally up in Arkansas.  You are coming aren't you?

National rally sounds like great fun.  However, unless something drastic changes this year June is always my vacation with my daughter (who will turn 16 in a few days).  June therefore is a sacred time for me and her (and sometimes the wife too if she's not to busy to join us). 

My daughter and I are roller coaster junkies so we've spent the last few vacations pulling G's on some of the finest tubular steel tracks in the country!  Some day (in a few years) though I will be much more free to roam the country in the summers.  But I'll always miss these family times - I'm probably more of a "cherish-every-minute-I-have-with-my-daughter" kinda guy than most.  And proud of it.

I can understand the entire concept fine.  I did the same thing with my son except we used the motorcycle to ride roller coaster roads with no rails.